Nick Markakis or JJ Hardy?

webbrick2010

His hits have been pretty timely, producing 5 RBI in 7 games. So in that sense you could say they've been big.

Were they really timely, and produced game winning runs? or was they just metrics in a game otherwise won?

A-Rod hits most of his HR when losing or winning and almost never when the game is needing him to produce.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that's demonstrably false.

I know, its' long been argue and there are lots of people on both sides of the debate:

New York Post’s Mike Puma wrote, “That idea of Rodriguez hitting in the clutch his whole career doesn’t mesh with A-Rod’s October history or the fact he entered last night batting .246 with runners in scoring position this season.” Sports Illustrated’s Frank Deford referred unequivocally to “the fact that he fails when it counts the most,” and suggested A-Rod take up a different sport, perhaps one that isn’t a team game.

We already have exactly 2 other Markakis clones with de Aza and Snider.

Markakis was not that good people. He was pretty much a league average corner OF.

Clones? DeAza .950 OPS, Snider .1005, Markakis .564.....:scratchchinhmm:

Were they really timely, and produced game winning runs? or was they just metrics in a game otherwise won?

Nick had 2 RBI on opening day in a game the Braves won 2-1, and he knocked in the 3rd run yesterday in a game they won 3-2. One of his other RBI came in a 2-run win. So, I'd say all those were pretty timely. But we are just parsing words. My point was simply that Nick's slash line isn't too good, but he has driven in some runs in the early going. 4 of his 6 hits have come with a runner in scoring position (he is 4 for 7 with a walk in those situations so far). So, saying Nick had "another big hit" isn't too ridiculous of a thing to say, though I don't think anything that happened in the first seven games should change anyone's opinion about the moves made over the winter.

Well we shall see, not that hard to replace the production of a guy who isn't on the field.

and yeah he is 32, turns 33 on Aug 19th, which I know makes him officially 32 for this year but not by much. At the end of his 3 year contract he will be a 35 yo SS

I would have let them both go, and traded Norris, Weiters, and Davis. I was the only poster who predicted a below .500 season and I think the O's made a critical mistake in not re-tooling now when they could have gotten something. Weiters, Davis, and Norris will be worthless (in a trade) by the end of this year. It remains to be seen if they provide any value to the O's in 2015. I'm not expecting much.

Of course you were, and what a coincidence that the Orioles aren't starting off on the best foot and some are losing their minds that you should show up. :rolleyes:

I was thinking last night as I watched Nick get another big hit for Atlanta...

If before the extension to JJ, we would have been given the choice of signing JJ for 3/38 or Nick for 4/48 which would you have rather had.

I have been vehemently against the JJ signing, as I felt it was too much money for a 33 yo SS who I predicted would be very lucky to play 120 games a year and is to me anyway in a pretty obvious decline already

I was also against signing Nick, and am glad that we didn't, but if I had the choice I would have signed Nick over JJ. Nick provided solid defense and the good OBP that we get from no one else in the lineup (especially with Cruz also gone).

Anyway if it was a choice between JJ and Nick who would you have kept?

So he helps Atlanta. Nick is not worth 4 for 48. I am glad the O's have JJ. Nick is

easier to replace. Snider seems to be pretty good. IMO

Logical people and those that just want to believe what they think should be true?

Well, how about the last five post season series by the man, batting under the mendoza line and pretty much doing nothing for the team.

Thats not hype or SSS.

In 12 years worth of playoffs, his bat was awake for 4 out of 12.

Hard to be those non numbers.

Well, how about the last five post season series by the man, batting under the mendoza line and pretty much doing nothing for the team.

Thats not hype or SSS.

In 12 years worth of playoffs, his bat was awake for 4 out of 12.

Hard to be those non numbers.

His career wOBA is .400. His wOBA in high leverage situations (which is actually what you were talking about, but way to switch to postseason to try to make your point less wrong) is .401.

His career wOBA is .400. His wOBA in high leverage situations (which is actually what you were talking about, but way to switch to postseason to try to make your point less wrong) is .401.

So I am wrong that he has tanked his last 5 post seasons and not batting his weight?

Archived