Nick Markakis or JJ Hardy?

webbrick2010

As of last night' date=' Snider's WAR is higher than Nick's.[/quote']

I think this may be a case where WAR doesn't reflect well the defensive miscues Snider made and how they impacted the games. But in any event, Drungo is right, nothing is decided the first 15 games of one season, much less the first 15 games of a multi-year contract. Markakis won't hit .370 with a .470 OBP, and he won't have a .425 BABIP or an .028 ISO. Hardy won't miss every game. Snider won't make 50 questionable outfield plays and he probably won't post an .884 OPS.

Just back to Hardy, I admit to being a little concerned that he is healing so slowly. It really would suck if the Orioles reversed course and suddenly announced he needed surgery.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody come over to the Markakis side yet? Benefit of hindsight is looking like we extended the wrong guy.

Hardy has now missed 10% of the season with no return in sight. Last I heard he has regressed to hitting off a tee

Markakis is still hitting .370 with a .470 OBP

More surprising the consensus (me included) was that it would be relatively easy to replace Markakis, but Snider has more errors in week than Markakis has had in the last 3 years, and De Aza isn't hitting or fielding or running the bases well.

Meanwhile Cabrerra has done okay at SS until he ran into Toronto's goofy turf.

I never thought that the O's would miss Nick so badly.

Perhaps starting Lough against all RH'ers will shore up the defense. I hope so.

Why would any one "switch sides" yet?

I don't know why it has to be either or. I was concerned about Hardys back but we don't have anyone in the pipeline to replace him. Right Field looks pretty bad this year. I would have signed them both. I would not have signed Wieter, Davis , Matusz and Hunter. Plenty of money to sign Markakis and Hardy.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody come over to the Markakis side yet? Benefit of hindsight is looking like we extended the wrong guy.

Hardy has now missed 10% of the season with no return in sight. Last I heard he has regressed to hitting off a tee

Markakis is still hitting .370 with a .470 OBP

More surprising the consensus (me included) was that it would be relatively easy to replace Markakis, but Snider has more errors in week than Markakis has had in the last 3 years, and De Aza isn't hitting or fielding or running the bases well.

Meanwhile Cabrerra has done okay at SS until he ran into Toronto's goofy turf.

I never thought that the O's would miss Nick so badly.

Perhaps starting Lough against all RH'ers will shore up the defense. I hope so.

Do they really miss Nick? Or is it possibly something else?

Archived