For What it's worth.....

Belkast

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shedding salary always has value.

I agree that it's not the O's top priority here, but you can't just blow it off as irrelevant. It's not.

Shedding salary has more value for the O's if they are completely willing to give playing time to the youngsters; see who works out this year; next year and 2010 spend big in free agency.

I've come around on Cedeno. He's worth getting for the O's. I would try Moore at 2b, though not universally popular, and that's a team I want to watch without any hope for this year, and I'm fine with it. The O's may have money, but it has to be spent wisely. If they can get rid of Payton's salary this year, it essentially doubles the amount the $5 mil off the books next year for his salary. Take away Roberts' contract, plus Tejada's and Bedard's, and the O's look like a team with very serious money to spend next off season.

I guess it all comes down to how much time the team is willing to give to the unknowns to prove themselves. Figure out what the core is this year and fill in next.

Names previously discussed on this board with the Indians included Peralta, Miller, Barfield, Gutierrez, Lofgren and Brown.

Some combination of Miller, Barfield and one of Gutierrez/Brown would be fine with me. That might be a bit rich in upside compared to the Cubs deals, but might lack the certainty that Gallagher might bring to the table.

Names previously discussed on this board with the Indians included Peralta, Miller, Barfield, Gutierrez, Lofgren and Brown.

Some combination of Miller, Barfield and one of Gutierrez/Brown would be fine with me. That might be a bit rich in upside compared to the Cubs deals, but might lack the certainty that Gallagher might bring to the table.

I really like Barfield. His rookie year he hit .280 with 13 HR's and a line of .318/.423/.741. He also had 21 SB's. Last year he had a big dropoff hitting only .243 with a OPS of .594 and only 3 homers, but he is still young - he'll be 25 this year.

Get Barfield to replace BRob, Miller to add to pitching depth, and one more player to add more depth to the farm.

I think we can't just dump Payton in the BRob deal, just to lose him and his salary.

Payton for Uribe fills a serious need decently, and frees up a spot on the 25-man roster, because LH then goes to AAA. Plus, don't we get a pick for Uribe after he leaves for free agency?

Bruce Levine of Espn 1000 Chicago just reported the trade for Roberts is heating up and the Orioles will have a scout with the Cubs everyday until something gets done.Levine is real close to Hendry and is preety respected in his field.That tells me Bigbird was correct in that they have agreed on 3 players and are deciding on the 4th player good job Bigbird.

The sooner this is over, the happier I will be, regardless of whether Roberts stays or goes. I'm thoroughly sick of the topic.

I agree with that sentiment. But when the O's say it'll be over with "soon", what does that even mean?

I agree with that sentiment. But when the O's say it'll be over with "soon", what does that even mean?

The O's aren't caught up in this instant gratification society we live in. They have a wider, more cosmic perspective. We have at least another 50 million years before the sun turns into a red giant annihilating everything on Earth. Within that grander scale what's another month?

The O's aren't caught up in this instant gratification society we live in. They have a wider, more cosmic perspective. We have at least another 50 million years before the sun turns into a red giant annihilating everything on Earth. Within that grander scale what's another month?

Sorry MP, but it's more like a billion years.

Bruce Levine of Espn 1000 Chicago just reported the trade for Roberts is heating up and the Orioles will have a scout with the Cubs everyday until something gets done.Levine is real close to Hendry and is preety respected in his field.That tells me Bigbird was correct in that they have agreed on 3 players and are deciding on the 4th player good job Bigbird.

Ah I wish we knew what the Indians were offering... I have a hard time believing they wouldn't beat what's been rumored to be offered by the Cubs.

Archived