For What it's worth.....

Belkast

That is a pretty ignorant statement.

They can dump Marte who is all potential right now and out of options, dump Barfield and play Cabrera, and dump the salary of Peralta, all while adding Roberts.

You start the post by calling out an "ignorant statement" and then go on to say the Indians are trying to trade Peralta in a salary dump...? Are they going to ask the O's to pay Roberts salary? Also, I find it strange that a primary focus of discussion is how the Orioles shouldn't take "the Cubs trash" and "guys the Cubs don't even want" and whatever other nonsense but then you continually use the word "dump" here for the Indians intentions...

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marte is out of options and hasnt really shown anything to be able to stick in the majors. Peralta has defensive issues and has a decent salary, but one the Indians probably wouldnt mind shedding. Barfield had a down year last year. All three players are sell-low candidates but the Indians are looking to contend, it is that simple. They can dump Marte who is all potential right now and out of options, dump Barfield and play Cabrera, and dump the salary of Peralta, all while adding Roberts. That would also allow them to move Sizemore down in the line-up, where he will become an even bigger threat. We might have to give up a pitcher like Penn or Olson, but I would make that trade in an instant.

Well said.

If the O's did the, I would seriously wonder if they would be interested in Mora. The O's would have to eat a good chunk of his salary, but I gladly do a Roberts, Olson, Mora, and $10 million for Barfield, Peralta, and Marte deal.

I think Marquis is signed for two years for quite a bit of money. He pitches pretty well in the first half so my guess is they'll keep him anyway.

If we're taking on Marquis, Pie would have to be coming back. Suffice to say, Marquis won't be in an O's deal.

Marte is out of options and hasnt really shown anything to be able to stick in the majors. Peralta has defensive issues and has a decent salary, but one the Indians probably wouldnt mind shedding. Barfield had a down year last year. All three players are sell-low candidates but the Indians are looking to contend, it is that simple. They can dump Marte who is all potential right now and out of options, dump Barfield and play Cabrera, and dump the salary of Peralta, all while adding Roberts. That would also allow them to move Sizemore down in the line-up, where he will become an even bigger threat. We might have to give up a pitcher like Penn or Olson, but I would make that trade in an instant.

I don't believe in name calling, but you would be lucky to include one of those players in a deal for Roberts. We've gone through hundreds of posts about the idol worship of BRob, but if the Indians offer anything close to the package you mentioned, then we all agree that AM should take the Indian offer immediately.

I don't believe in name calling, but you would be lucky to include one of those players in a deal for Roberts. We've gone through hundreds of posts about the idol worship of BRob, but if the Indians offer anything close to the package you mentioned, then we all agree that AM should take the Indian offer immediately.

I think we could at least get two of Peralta, Marte and Barfield.

I think we could at least get two of Peralta, Marte and Barfield.

Same here, they weren't thrilled with Peralta last off-season and he had a better year but not great. Cabrera slides over to short. Barfield lost his job, so they can't be all that enthralled with him. Marte has not turned out to be what they hoped for and they really can't afford to take a chance on him as a regular when they are trying to win the world series. People who think these guys, especially Marte and Barfield, are hot items are reading old books.

If it is true that we will really/truly make a very strong push for Tex and get him, than I would keep Roberts. If we're not going to get Tex/some other real good hitter at a spot we need next year, then I would trade him.

I agree Al. Although I think it may just a slim chance that Tex will actually come to Baltimore, without Roberts, that chance gets reduced to zero. IMO. Tex seems to want more than cha-ching. Like most Superstars nowadays, he wants to play for a contender. I'm sorry, but Puff, Millar, and Gibbons and a bunch of kids isn't going to convince Tex that the Os are a contender. I still got my fingers crossed that he stays AND they offer him an extension. It would be great to have the BIG 5 on the Os: Tex, BRob, Nick, Adam, and Matt. 5 awesome position players on the same team? PRINT THE PLAYOFF TICKETS NOW!

Just stop already. You're humiliating yourself. Barfield has lost his starting job, Marte is a stalled out prospect out of options, and Peralta (by far the most valuable of the three) is far from a star. Barfield and Marte would only be throw-ins in any deal for Roberts and Peralta might be the primary player but certainly not much more than half of the package.

You start the post by calling out an "ignorant statement" and then go on to say the Indians are trying to trade Peralta in a salary dump...? Are they going to ask the O's to pay Roberts salary? Also, I find it strange that a primary focus of discussion is how the Orioles shouldn't take "the Cubs trash" and "guys the Cubs don't even want" and whatever other nonsense but then you continually use the word "dump" here for the Indians intentions...

I use "dump" in the sense that they are not useful pieces for the Indians this season. I dont care about the Cubs players, I have never mentioned them nor care to, but I am putting my two cents in here about the Indians players.

One of the key things is that they are all position players, something that the Cubs couldnt offer up.

And I should define "dump."

1) Peralta: He has about 11M left over 3 years on his contract, with a 7M option for 2011. With Cabrera stepping up for the Indians last year, they would like to play him obviously and they wont want to pay Peralta to be a backup.

2) Cabrera: Just had a major down year last year and if he can be replaced by Roberts, that will definitely up their chances of making the playoffs.

3) Marte: Is out of options and is set to be carried as a 25th man, but the Indians would have better uses for the 25th man. At least this way they can use him as some value in obtaining Roberts.

Ok, it may just be me, but im not really interested in Marte.

Im more interested in Goedert (3B), J. Rodriguez (INF) or as a power prospect Weglarz (OF)

Mate may or may not be an answer at 3B, and would be nice as a throw in, but i would prefer him as a last resort, not as a expected contributor.

With Cabrera stepping up for the Indians last year, they would like to play him obviously and they wont want to pay Peralta to be a backup.

2) Cabrera: Just had a major down year last year and if he can be replaced by Roberts, that will definitely up their chances of making the playoffs.

I hope this is two different Cabrera's you are talking about, or maybe you meant barfield?

Quite awhile ago (back in the original Roberts thread), there was discussion about including Marquis in the deal. If you're looking for a veteran pitcher that could match Lohse's numbers, maybe working Marquis somewhere in the 4 for 2 swap might work.

Can't see trading Roberts, unless the O's are getting Cedeno and Patterson back as part of ( but NOT all of ) the deal.

Don't see why the Cubs do Payton for Murton without the O's including money. See Murton and Reimold as basically taking the place of Payton and Millar by next year, if not sooner.

Deal I could see would be Roberts and Payton for Marquis, Murton, Cedeno, Patterson, and at least one non 40 man pitching prospect.

O's can afford to take on some short term salary to get some non 40 man talent.

Good clarification Bee but still, we have no control over Tex now and so that is a huge roll of the dice to planb anythign around him being an O. The rebuild plan would be far more complete with a trade of BRob that brings back 3-4 additional young players under our cheap and longer control who can develop into future members of the big league team.

Well, here's my little view of the world. At some point in time (and I'll admit next year could be too soon), a team has to make a determination that says "We are going to get this player no matter what." Tex could very well be that player.

While I can see why it makes sense to trade Roberts given our other moves, unless we are getting back something better than what the rumored Cubs package is, I would rather keep Roberts for a year and see what happens. Getting young players back for cheap control is great if you think they are going to grow into some type of impact players, but if they're not/don't, you've got cheap useless parts under your control.

Really just a matter of opinion, b/c I can't fault anyone for wanting to trade Roberts, just my own opinion that Roberts is the kind of player I would like to keep around unless the return is too good to pass up, and I don't think the Cubs return is that.

And back to my original premise, if we were to land Tex, it would sure be nice to have Roberts still in the fold.

Yup, that does seem to balance both teams rosters and roster issues. I'd love to get Cabrera rather than Peralta, but no way Cleve does that, and that would just be greedy.

Cubsfan, you are really over-estimating the trade value of Marte and Barfield. Marte has potential, but he's running out of chances.

Archived