Payton to get majority of starts in LF

Leitch

I'm not arguing the validity of the plan, I'm simply saying that Payton is a better option in lf everyday than Millar, Gibbons, or one of the minor leaguers. Huff in lf everyday is what I would do. If Perlozzo wants Huff to be his 1b, which seems to be the case, then I see why he would put Payton in LF.

Kakes in LF and Gibbons/Payton in RF is the best option.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kakes in LF and Gibbons/Payton in RF is the best option.

Gibbons is just gonna get hurt flopping around in the outfield. You're smarter than that, SG.

He already has an ab strain or whatever. Dude is made out of glass.

That leaves Gibbons at DH and praying for him not to strain a quad or pulling a hammy while running the bases.

That leaves Payton in RF or LF flip flopping with Kakes. Either way, it's a good defensive outfield. And while outfield defense isn't as sexy as beloved OPS, it accounts for something.

Kakes in LF and Gibbons/Payton in RF is the best option

Interesting. I'd honestly never thought of that, bc its pretty absurd to think to move Markakis after the way he seemed to lock in last year at the plate when he was put in right (his natural position), but I don't doubt that he could do it. If it boiled down to it, I bet he could play center and really enhance his value. We don't need that this year bc of Patterson, but next year he could very well be an option in center.

No mention of Huff playing third once a week or so.

Perlozzo has alot of versatility right there for him and they don't seem to talk about it.

He acts as if his players can play one position and one position only.

And then, he just basically throws away any idea that we struggle versus lefties.

Yeah but look at the audience he is talking to here.

A majority of the people that read the paper are not up on the whole platoon idea as you are. Hell I am willing to bet that some of the sports writers don't get into that so much.

Its not fair to get on Perlozzo's back for something he hasn't even done yet.

Payton has had a very good spring, Huff should belong at first if he is in the field, as he has had a pretty good spring there.

Bottom line SG, we are not in his office and we won't know exactly what he will do until he does it.

I don't believe, outside of Huff as the everyday lf, that to be the case. Convince me.

Have you ever seen Huff play LF? Has any body here? I haven't but I have seen reports that indicate that he is pretty much defensively challenged anywhere he plays. I imagine the idiot Perlozzo has actually seen him chase flys in practice and based on that feels most comfortable with him at 1B. I hope I'm wrong. If he could proove ok in LF it would be a big help.

Bottom line SG, we are not in his office and we won't know exactly what he will do until he does it.

That's kinda the point I was trying to make initally when some other posters acted as if the world had caught fire bc of Sammy's quotes. Also, I think Payton's defense in left is underated. At least his defense compared to Knott or Millar. It's real early guys. We shouldn't get too worked up about one start, or one quote in the paper.

But it makes for interesting conversation.:)

That's kinda the point I was trying to make initally when some other posters acted as if the world had caught fire bc of Sammy's quotes. Also, I think Payton's defense in left is underated. At least his defense compared to Knott or Millar. It's real early guys. We shouldn't get too worked up about one start, or one quote in the paper.

But it makes for interesting conversation.:)

It appears you're new here, but it'd be pretty boring if there wasn't something to ***** about on a daily basis ;)

And actually, his defense in LF is pretty good, according to this: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/paytoja01.php

I think a 108 rating is pretty good, if I'm reading it correctly.

God help me, I just posted a stat. I feel like Will Ferrell at the end of his debate in "Old School"

I don't believe, outside of Huff as the everyday lf, that to be the case. Convince me.

I'd rather have Millar get more PT at the expense of Payton. Have Huff play LF or have Nick play there with Huff or Gibbons in RF, whichever provides the best defense. I'm fine with Payton playing CF against lefties, in fact I'd prefer it, although, I doubt it will happen much. However, against righties, he shouldn't play much, he's likely to provide an OPS in the low .700's, that doesn't cut it, Millar had an .845 OPS against righties last year. I think a .100or so difference in OPS is more valuable than the defensive difference. Note that Payton is considered to just be around average defensively in LF.

It appears you're new here, but it'd be pretty boring if there wasn't something to ***** about on a daily basis ;)

And actually, his defense in LF is pretty good, according to this: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/paytoja01.php

God help me, I just posted a stat. I feel like Will Ferrell at the end of his debate in "Old School"

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the better modern defensive stats show Payton to be about average.

Yeah, it's good. Thanks for doing my leg work;)

Knott or Gibbons may get you a few more runs w thier bats, but they'll promptly cough them back up in the field.

The Oakland A's won the AL West, and thier first round playoff series last year, and Payton recieved more abs than any other outfielder for the squad. He isn't some nobody. The O's can win with him in left field this year. Nothing's changed. We're still waiting on EB, DC, and Big Low.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the better modern defensive stats show Payton to be about average.

Better defensive stats like what?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm being sincere (hard to believe, I know). Defensive stats just seem really flimsy to me, is all. The zone rating seems alright, though.

I'd rather have Millar get more PT at the expense of Payton. Have Huff play LF or have Nick play there with Huff or Gibbons in RF, whichever provides the best defense. I'm fine with Payton playing CF against lefties, in fact I'd prefer it, although, I doubt it will happen much. However, against righties, he shouldn't play much, he's likely to provide an OPS in the low .700's, that doesn't cut it, Millar had an .845 OPS against righties last year. I think a .100or so difference in OPS is more valuable than the defensive difference. Note that Payton is considered to just be around average defensively in LF.

Okay, now that's a train I can get down on. We agree that ideally Payton is part of a platoon, or at least a rotating platoon with him playing all three of positions. You are coming around to my position.:D

Very early on in this post I put down my ideal lineup and it consisted of Huff in lf, Millar at 1b, and Payton in cf vs lefties. Notice, I didn't platoon Millar; I wanted him full-time at first, and Huff getting Payton's abs in lf vs. rh. Sports Guy, however, suggested a good idea in moving Kakes to lf and platooning Gibbons and Payton in rf. But in that case, who plays center vs. a lp? This team could go a lot of ways and it makes it interesting to me. Baseball is the greatest game on earth.

Not sure why any of this is surprising to people.

- We had a hole at 1B ... so we signed a corner IF who is known more for his bat that his glove. (Huff) Yet we're surprised that he's going to get most of his AB's at 1B??

- We had a hole in LF ... so we spent almost $10 Mil. on an OFer. (Payton) Yet we're surprised that he's going to get most of the playing time in LF??

- Jay Gibbons is 30 years old and has really only had one healthy season since joining the Orioles ... yet we're surprised the team won't guarentee him a position or playing time??

- We trade for a player w/ no options (Bynum), take a rule V pick (Donachie) who himself is blocked by an even worse FA signing at the same position (Bako), trade for ANOTHER V pick (Guthrie) and retain a FA (Millar) who, though he performed well offensively, really isn't good defensively at any position ... yet we're surprised that guys like Penn, Knott, DuBois, House, Burres, etc. will all probably spend most of the year in Norfolk??

- Seems like this team hasn't platooned anyone since at least the early 90's when Angelos bought the team ... yet we're surprised they don't seem warm to the idea of platooning CF, LF, 1B AND DH??

Better defensive stats like what?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm being sincere (hard to believe, I know). Defensive stats just seem really flimsy to me, is all. The zone rating seems alright, though.

IMO, defensive ratings are about as useful as tits on a bull. You can only really evaluate a defensive play with your eyes, not a box score.

Archived