vs. WHITE SOX, 4/27 PPD

OFFNY

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Where in the rules does it state this? I mean, it makes sense I guess.
    • Gametime:  4:05 pm Forecast:  MId 50s to low 60s, cloudy, chance of rain Promotion:  Brandon Hyde Bobblehead, gates open early and music on Eutaw Street Matchup:  JP Sears (L) vs Cole Irvin (L) Lineups Later -- I will not be around, someone else will have to add them  
    • If you "reconstruct the inning without the errors" that means you replay the inning without the ghost runner.   So on that ground ball that got the runner at the plate, you now assume Langeliers would have been thrown out at first.
    • So I looked up the rule book and I can't find anything that says this is the case. Maybe I'm missing it because the rules for unearned runs can be convuluted to say the least. "For purposes of calculating earned runs under Rule 9.16, the runner who begins an inning on second base pursuant to this rule shall be deemed to be a runner who has reached second base because of a fielding error, but no error shall be charged to the opposing team or to any player. For purposes of Rule 9.02, the Official Scorer shall keep records of the number of times each batter and runner is placed at second base in accordance with this rule." In the rulebook under unearned runs it states, "An earned run is a run for which a pitcher is held accountable. In determining earned runs, the Official Scorer shall reconstruct the inning without the errors (which exclude catcher’s interference) and passed balls, giving the benefit of the doubt always to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by runners had there been errorless play. For the purpose of determining earned runs, an intentional base on balls, regardless of the circumstances, shall be construed in exactly the same manner as any other base on balls. (a)  The Official Scorer shall charge an earned run against a pitcher every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder’s choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks or wild pitches (including a wild pitch on third strike that permits a batter to reach first base) before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team. For the purpose of this rule, a defensive interference penalty shall be construed as a fielding chance. A wild pitch is solely the pitcher’s fault and shall contribute to an earned run just as a base on balls or a balk." I don't see where it states a batter that reaches on a fielder's choice due to a runner being being on due to error.   
    • Joe Posnanski wrote a wonderful book, called “The Baseball 100,” his 100 greatest players. It’s full of wonderful quotes, but it leaves out a quote that is not just all of Baseball in three words, but that applies to all of life. ”Sometimes you suck.” Adam Jones. God bless Adam Jones. Yes, Hyde makes boneheaded decisions almost every game. Yes Mike should have done this or not done that, Yes Cowser shouldn’t have thrown that way, Ryan shouldn’t have missed the fly, yada yada. I was screaming as loud as anyone. My wife said,”I thought you liked baseball,” But now it’s tomorrow.  “Sometimes you suck.” Charge on.
  • Popular Contributors