The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

Have not seen anything close to that this year. At all.

It's hard to write anything critical when you've set the bar so, so high. Dan Duquette could save 1,000 kittens from a burning building and you'd come up with a story about how it was just to save Angelos insurance money.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would get killed if I said the FO was the greatest of all time.

Some folks just hated the fact that I didn't like Andy MacPhail's style or DD's general weirdness this past offseason.

Adam Jones had a right to be pissed off because he watched the team get weaker before his own eyes. But of course, he's somehow "wrong" too.

MSK

No, most people just hate the fact that you hate everything. As long as you've been on the site, good times or bad, you've been overwhelmingly critical of almost everything. That's just your thing. You're that guy.

I don't think they would have needed to increase it by that much if they had done what was right. Sign Miller and Cruz, sign a speedy rf who could steal some bases, and DON'T sign or resign many of the guys (retreads) that we did. I can think of 3 or 4 guys right now who should have been shown the door and who could have been easily replaced by some AAA players.

I'll give you Matusz, De Aza, and maybe Hunter as non-tenders. Anyone else is pure hindsight. Even without those guys you are looking at ~10 percent increase in payroll from last year. Add in another ~15 percent for Cruz, ~8 percent for Miller, and whatever you pay your unnamed RFer (Aoki got 5 million, so another 4 percent or so).

These are rough approximations but yeah, you're still pretty close.

No, most people just hate the fact that you hate everything. As long as you've been on the site, good times or bad, you've been overwhelmingly critical of almost everything. That's just your thing. You're that guy.

Nope.

In 2012, I was one of the happiest human beings alive.

I was at the ALDS games in OPACY vs the Yankees.

I am an Orioles fan.

What I am not a fan of is constant foolishness in the form of poor offseason movement and refusal to upgrade when the opportunity arises.

That's just how it is.

MSK

There's this thing called the search function here. You'll find all kinds of criticism of the team from me. Hell, I used to write articles for the site and my first piece was a detailed evisceration of the signing of Deivi Cruz.

Lies Drungo, everyone knows and accepts that you are the leader of the lollipop guild 'round these parts.

Nope.

In 2012, I was one of the happiest human beings alive.

I was at the ALDS games in OPACY vs the Yankees.

I am an Orioles fan.

What I am not a fan of is constant foolishness in the form of poor offseason movement and refusal to upgrade when the opportunity arises.

That's just how it is.

MSK

Again, you focus on the off-season and act like the team doesn't upgrade during the season. Like they did the last three years. How exactly did this team get one of the players you constantly complain about them not retaining?

He's that guy. I defend his right to be that guy, but everyone knows it. This is not the OH of the 14 years of losing.

It's hard to write anything critical when you've set the bar so, so high. Dan Duquette could save 1,000 kittens from a burning building and you'd come up with a story about how it was just to save Angelos insurance money.

I was the biggest DD fan there was going into last offseason. But the way he handled that entire mess really soured me on him. It was unprofessional. I don't blame him for wanting a promotion. But do it the right way. Not the way he did it. Add in the fact that during the entire mess his mind was elsewhere (or worse) and we got what we got. Just putting this out there, but lets say DD thought for sure he was going to Toronto in Dec. Why would he, going to a division rival, have any incentive to help the Os? Especially if he started to get angry because PA was putting up a fuss about letting him go? It is not as far fetched as you might think. Most people are not all noble and honorable like you might think.

Why would he, going to a division rival, have any incentive to help the Os? .

Because his employer granted him the opportunity of seeking a compensation compromise. During the only window that he will ever be granted in a four year contract. Deal with it.

You have no information. You are just making things up and you are just having a good time with it. I get it.

By now, it's pretty clear that the Orioles should not have re-signed Hardy, and that they should have non-tendered Hunter, Matusz, Davis, Pearce, De Aza, Norris, Tillman, and Wieters, replaced all nine of them, and signed Cruz and Miller. Obviously, they didn't do so because DD was distracted and Angelos is cheap, because those are the things that anyone who was truly committed to winning would have done. And really, how tough could it have been?

Archived