We are cheap, proven

brianod

That's one of the reasons I don't think brianod's number illuminate anything. And I guess I care about actually winning by spending intelligently more than I care about trying to win by spending a lot more in an unintelligent manner.

I think brianod and few other folks like MSK actually care as much about appearing to augment the team in an obvious way that will show up on January Sportscenters as they do about how the season plays out. The Orioles are a mid-market team with a payroll in the top half of the league who's had a winning record for 3+ years and are the reigning division champions, a handful of games out of first at Memorial Day, but they're being taken to task and half the fanbase called apologists because some fans don't think Angelos and his co-owners should make as much money as they supposedly do and instead sign a bunch of unspecified but well worth it free agents.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think brianod and few other folks like MSK actually care as much about appearing to augment the team in an obvious way that will show up on January Sportscenters as they do about how the season plays out. The Orioles are a mid-market team with a payroll in the top half of the league who's had a winning record for 3+ years and are the reigning division champions, a handful of games out of first at Memorial Day, but they're being taken to task and half the fanbase called apologists because some fans don't think Angelos and his co-owners should make as much money as they supposedly do and instead sign a bunch of unspecified but well worth it free agents.

Apparently, owning a sports franchise is like working out; no pain, no gain. Owners should spend on payroll to the brink of financial ruin, not to win, but to prove to their fan base how much they care about winning. Personally, I won't be satisfied that Angelos really wants to win until he and his partners and their families are living in public housing and collecting food stamps.

Apparently, owning a sports franchise is like working out; no pain, no gain. Owners should spend on payroll to the brink of financial ruin, not to win, but to prove to their fan base how much they care about winning. Personally, I won't be satisfied that Angelos really wants to win until he and his partners and their families are living in public housing and collecting food stamps.

Much like the last owner?

Much like the last owner?

Eli Jacobs' financial woes didn't come from spending too much on the Orioles. In fact, it took GM Roland Hemond months to convince him not to let Cal leave as a free agent, and then the deal almost fell apart because Jacobs did not want to let Cal have a designated parking space under the stadium.

The Jacobs bankruptcy always made me wonder what it would be like to be $192 million in debt. Man, I could have some fun spending that kind of money!

Totally false. There is only one thing I care about and that is winning. Spend more money wisely and you have a better chance at winning. How anyone could argue that is beyond me.

Totally false. There is only one thing I care about and that is winning. Spend more money wisely and you have a better chance at winning. How anyone could argue that is beyond me.

So the guy that wanted to sign the 34 year old DH who was coming off a carer year to a four year deal wants to spend money wisely.

To be clear. I am not giving up on this season. We can win a weak division. Without major moves at the trade deadline, I don't see us good enough to win the series, but hell, it's a crapshoot once you get there. My point is that DD and Buck shouldn't have to work miracles to do it. We have the financial resources to be better then we are. In some ways, our recent success has masked this point and we as a fan base have simply accepted under spending as ok. All I'm saying is it's not ok to be playing every day with backup left fielders and right fielders. We should expect more. I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate the miracles brought by Buck and DD, just that we should be better then we are.

So the guy that wanted to sign the 34 year old DH who was coming off a carer year to a four year deal wants to spend money wisely.

I'm saying loosen the purse strings and let DD decide what to spend it on. If he agrees with you that Cruz and Miller are too risky, so be it. You rarely achieve great things without incurring risk. DD is getting paid good money to make those judgments and I'm not. That's a good thing.

Archived