We are cheap, proven

brianod

According to Forbes, they made 37 million in profit in 2015. I never said they weren't spending money. I said they weren't spending enough.

Let's agree that this is the number. They did raise payroll by $11 million dollars this year. I'm not going to pretend that Orioles profits only go towards the payroll of the players, as if there are no other expenses involved in the operation of a sports franchise. If that's what you want to believe, I don't think you're going to find nearly as much support as you think you might.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the dark ages we used to have threads like this all the time. Now even though we've had three winning seasons and thing have really turned around, including increased spending, we still have people who would rather hold on to the old familiar dysfunction than accept the change.

Back in the dark ages we used to have threads like this all the time. Now even though we've had three winning seasons and thing have really turned around, including increased spending, we still have people who would rather hold on to the old familiar dysfunction than accept the change.

And, if ownership isn't held accountable during the goods times and bad times, we are doomed to repeat history.

And, if ownership isn't held accountable during the goods times and bad times, we are doomed to repeat history.

Ownership is not held accountable. Ever. That was a myth from a local former hipster. Billionaire. And one that does good works. Pretty much untouchable at age 86. Time to fold 'em. Have fun. Learn to live with this. It is not changing.

Anyone that hates the Angelos family at this point needs to get off the Orioles bus. They are not going anywhere. I am impressed too. And happy to see that at least some effort has been made to support the winning.

I couldn't disagree more. While I wouldn't use the word "hate," I have been intensely negative about the Orioles' owners since they won the auction for the team. :mad: I have spoken out, or have posted, about that occasionally, but usually have kept it to myself. I have never considered getting off the bus, and have been glad (if at times very frustrated) to stay on it. I can't imagine that I would have been, or ever will be, comfortable on any other mode of transportation.

I couldn't disagree more. While I wouldn't use the word "hate," I have been intensely negative about the Orioles' owners since they won the auction for the team. :mad: I have spoken out, or have posted, about that occasionally, but usually have kept it to myself. I have never considered getting off the bus, and have been glad (if at times very frustrated) to stay on it. I can't imagine that I would have been, or ever will be, comfortable on any other mode of transportation.

It's perfectly acceptable to feel that way. And I don't think you hate any of the Angelos family. I specifically used the word hate to exclude folks like yourself. Negativity absolutely has it's place now. And especially during the big feeling days of early Angelos rule. Now, I'd say some of the right stuff is finally happening. And believe me, there have been many times that I was quite upset at the duplicity that we all saw.

Excellent work Brianod. In my opinion ownership and the GM?s job is to look at your roster at the end of the season and make the moves necessary to make your team better than the previous season. You can lose personnel to free agency, but you have to make moves to replace them. I think DD is a talented GM. But I saw little effort from where we were in October 2014 to improve the team. The American League East is not a good division. It is winnable. Are we a better team in 2015 than we were in 2014?

Excellent work Brianod. In my opinion ownership and the GM?s job is to look at your roster at the end of the season and make the moves necessary to make your team better than the previous season. You can lose personnel to free agency, but you have to make moves to replace them. I think DD is a talented GM. But I saw little effort from where we were in October 2014 to improve the team. The American League East is not a good division. It is winnable. Are we a better team in 2015 than we were in 2014?

This team won 96 games last year. It's basically the same roster aside from the losses of Nelson Cruz, Nick Markakis and Andrew Miller. Snider and Paredes have replaced Cruz and Markakis with similar if not better production. You can say we didn't replace Miller but you're not going to find much support on here for giving a 40 inning/year reliever, coming off a career year, $10+ million over 4 years.

Archived