We are cheap, proven

brianod

I'm saying loosen the purse strings and let DD decide what to spend it on. If he agrees with you that Cruz and Miller are too risky, so be it. You rarely achieve great things without incurring risk. DD is getting paid good money to make those judgments and I'm not. That's a good thing.

Which by all indications, happened. They had a contract out to Cruz and weren't willing to match what Seattle gave him. So be it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be clear. I am not giving up on this season. We can win a weak division. Without major moves at the trade deadline, I don't see us good enough to win the series, but hell, it's a crapshoot once you get there. My point is that DD and Buck shouldn't have to work miracles to do it. We have the financial resources to be better then we are. In some ways, our recent success has masked this point and we as a fan base have simply accepted under spending as ok. All I'm saying is it's not ok to be playing every day with backup left fielders and right fielders. We should expect more. I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate the miracles brought by Buck and DD, just that we should be better then we are.

I can't tell you the number of baseball journalists and commentators, including Boston Globe writer Nick Cafardo, I've heard on the MLB radio network recently who have said they still expect the Orioles to win the division because they have the most balanced team with the fewest flaws. While your constant criticism seems misplaced, it certainly is consistent with your assertion last season that the team's style of roster management was not sustainable. I'm not convinced that your analysis and reality see eye to eye.

We have the financial resources to be better then we are. In some ways, our recent success has masked this point and we as a fan base have simply accepted under spending as ok.

I'm not sure that you and the rest of the fan base are on the same page as far as under spending. The Orioles have the 11th highest payroll in baseball. They have around the 15th-20th largest market. When you add in the uncertainty of the MASN situation, I am impressed that they have continued to raise the payroll 10-15 percent each of the last three years.

There are lots of problems with the data you use and the way you use them to compare teams and draw conclusions.

But I also kind of agree with you: the Orioles could be spending more on payroll while making a reasonable profit. I hope that's an option that's open to Duquette during this season, and to our GM next year in considering our free-agents-to-be (I would like to see the O's pursue Chen, to preserve the starting pitching depth since these guys are dropping like flies all over MLB, and to have a lefthanded starter) and bringing in free-agent talent.

There are lots of problems with the data you use and the way you use them to compare teams and draw conclusions.

But I also kind of agree with you: the Orioles could be spending more on payroll while making a reasonable profit. I hope that's an option that's open to Duquette during this season, and to our GM next year in considering our free-agents-to-be (I would like to see the O's pursue Chen, to preserve the starting pitching depth since these guys are dropping like flies all over MLB, and to have a lefthanded starter) and bringing in free-agent talent.

This is a key point too. They have added payroll midyear every year. He doesn't like to blow it all in the off-season.

I'm not sure that you and the rest of the fan base are on the same page as far as under spending. The Orioles have the 11th highest payroll in baseball. They have around the 15th-20th largest market. When you add in the uncertainty of the MASN situation, I am impressed that they have continued to raise the payroll 10-15 percent each of the last three years.

Anyone that hates the Angelos family at this point needs to get off the Orioles bus. They are not going anywhere. I am impressed too. And happy to see that at least some effort has been made to support the winning.

This. A few people can continue to complain that the Orioles are cheap, with infinite resources. The rest of us will live in reality where the Orioles have to live within the constraints of a budget. I might want them to be able to spend $250 million a year on payroll but that doesn't mean it's going to happen and I certainly can't get upset and call them idiots for not doing it.

It really just gets to the point where if you're wanting to follow a team that throws money around like the Yankees, then you might just have to start following the Yankees.

Anyone that hates the Angelos family at this point needs to get off the Orioles bus. They are not going anywhere. I am impressed too. And happy to see that at least some effort has been made to support the winning.

LOL. Nobody on this board has supported the Orioles better then I have. I maintained my season tickets while many, many people bailed. I told my season rep to move me closer with each losing year. My seats are now directly behind home plate 22 rows up. I have to thank all those that bailed for that. I believe, because I have kept the faith, I have a right to demand more from ownership. Of course, they have the right not to listen, but hey, at least I have said my piece. As for Angelos, I root for the team, not the owners. I sure don't waste the emotional energy it would take to hate people I don't even know.

Since 2009, the Orioles have increased payroll by $51,874,167...an increase of 77%. It's absolutely foolish to say they're cheap and aren't spending money.

According to Forbes, they made 37 million in profit in 2015. I never said they weren't spending money. I said they weren't spending enough.

LOL. Nobody on this board has supported the Orioles better then I have. I maintained my season tickets while many, many people bailed. I told my season rep to move me closer with each losing year. My seats are now directly behind home plate 22 rows up. I have to thank all those that bailed for that. I believe, because I have kept the faith, I have a right to demand more from ownership. Of course, they have the right not to listen, but hey, at least I have said my piece. As for Angelos, I root for the team, not the owners. I sure don't waste the emotional energy it would take to hate people I don't even know.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MWGciuLuH8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>......

According to Forbes, they made 37 million in profit in 2015. I never said they weren't spending money. I said they weren't spending enough.

And you keep treating that number like it is 100% correct, when it has already been explained why that number could be severely flawed.

Archived