Congratulations, Buck on Win #400 With the Orioles

TonySoprano

He could never increase his winning percentage to pass Earl before then because apparently the players aren't loyal enough.

I'm not sure where you going with that point, but in Earl managed several years before there was free agency. I believe, as a group, the players love playing for Buck, and he surely doesn't "ruffle as many (Oriole) feathers" as Earl.

I'm not sure where you going with that point, but in Earl managed several years before there was free agency. I believe, as a group, the players love playing for Buck, and he surely doesn't "ruffle as many (Oriole) feathers" as Earl.

Sarcasm in response to a comment from another thread. If anything it's Buck who is too loyal to his players at times. I agree that if anything Buck is a players manager and guys like to play for him.

I know this thread is about Buck, but Earl's .583 winning percentage...wow. That's 94.4 wins per 162 game season, over a very long managerial career. It's mind boggling.

It really is. Really. We were so fortunate.

Sarcasm in response to a comment from another thread. If anything it's Buck who is too loyal to his players at times. I agree that if anything Buck is a players manager and guys like to play for him.

Yeah, when they asked him last night about Norris, he reminded the local beat that Norris won 15 games for them last year and added something like "I have a long memory."

Yeah, when they asked him last night about Norris, he reminded the local beat that Norris won 15 games for them last year and added something like "I have a long memory."

And sometimes is loyal to a fault. Hey, loyalty is a fine quality to have. I look for it in others. I am quite happy with Buck, can't say the same for Norris. Although, for what he is I'm happy we got as much mileage out of him as we did.

And sometimes is loyal to a fault. Hey, loyalty is a fine quality to have. I look for it in others. I am quite happy with Buck, can't say the same for Norris. Although, for what he is I'm happy we got as much mileage out of him as we did.

I suspect Buck might disagree with your assessment. Both of his "loyalty to a fault" and with your assessment of Bud Norris being unable to contribute as a starter anymore in 2015. But I am glad you are quite happy with Buck despite your disagreement with his assessment. Me too. Sometimes player performance improves when managers are the type of leaders that players can rely upon for "loyalty." Although it is hard to find a statistical proof for leadership and loyalty factors except when seeing managers that consistently win across different organizations and different players and years, then the manager's personal qualities and baseball decision making are lauded. Though in most every other type of business, corporation, those types of qualities do directly affect performance of employees.

I know this thread is about Buck, but Earl's .583 winning percentage...wow. That's 94.4 wins per 162 game season, over a very long managerial career. It's mind boggling.

If you think .583 is good.... Should have never let that Harris guy go... he had a .630 winning percentage. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Showalter gets his 407th win -- that ties Hank Bauer (1966 WS champ) for 3rd place in Os history for managerial wins.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">June 13, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CongratsBuck?src=hash">#CongratsBuck</a>! Tonight was Showalter's 408th W as manager of the Orioles, 3rd-most behind Earl Weaver & Paul Richards <a href="http://t.co/ywJNtUXHXS">pic.twitter.com/ywJNtUXHXS</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">June 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived