Crazy Idea - All Relievers?

Aristotelian

I started a thread recently with a similar proposal. Just your 1 or 2 best starters with a bunch of 2-3 inning guys and your high leverage guys. Consensus seemed to be "interesting idea". The O's would seem like a good team to try this because of the bullpen strength.

Among other things, you would be able to play matchups throughout the game.

You would need some GOOD leftys to do that. Like Buck tries to do. Righty starter, he likes to follow with a lefty. You would have to have some good leftys to make the 3-4 inning starter work. Good rightys too but we have those.

Is an interesting idea.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started a thread recently with a similar proposal. Just your 1 or 2 best starters with a bunch of 2-3 inning guys and your high leverage guys. Consensus seemed to be "interesting idea". The O's would seem like a good team to try this because of the bullpen strength.

Among other things, you would be able to play matchups throughout the game.

I hadn't seen your post, I appreciate the discussion. It is way out of the box thinking, and that is what makes it a difficult concept to stomach.

There was a game back in 80s or thereabouts where if I remember correctly, Weaver or Altobelli started a reliever with the plan of having them pitch one time through the lineup and then he brought in 3 or 4 other relievers to close the game out. It worked and the O's won the game.

I think Sammy Stewart was one of the pitchers involved. Maybe someone else remembers the game?

• 2 years later...

Archived