2015 3rd (102) - Garrett Cleavinger - LHP - University of Oregon

I wish we would stop reaching with our picks. I have little to on confidence in our team to draft competent players anyways, so reaching doesn't help.

That is just me and my lack of confidence talking. That Hobgood draft really ruined me.

How do you know they are reaches? You don't for a second actually think that online sites that you read have more insight than a professional scouting team whose job, 365 days a year, is to scout and read all sources of information on amateur players?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A poor man's Tyler Jay? It will be interesting to see how he's handled; fast track reliever or stretched out as a starter. Or, they could do both...reliever this year and stretch him out next year.

How do you know they are reaches? You don't for a second actually think that online sites that you read have more insight than a professional scouting team whose job, 365 days a year, is to scout and read all sources of information on amateur players?

In fairness to guys like Callis and Mayo, their full-time jobs are also to scout prospects, and they do a fairly good job. That said, there are 30 MLB draft lists we never see, and past the first 20 picks or so, those vary so wildly that there is no such thing as a consensus. I'm sure if you asked Jonathan mayo or John Nanuel, they'd tell you their lists are not meant to be used as consensus, but rather are just one list among dozens. If you're just looking at the number they put next to a player's name, you'd be better off not saying anything. This isn't the NFL.

I've always gotten the impression that Baseball America's list kind of is a consensus. Unless I'm wrong, Baseball America puts their lists together by talking to scouts from lots of organizations. That doesn't make the lists right and the Orioles wrong but I do think their lists are kind of a conglomerate of what they hear from scouts and baseball execs in the industry.

Yeah, they talk to scouts and execs, but I believe they also do a lot of in-person scouting. Regardless of their process, their list isn't significantly more objective than any other list. It's not like they're taking all 30 teams' lists and averaging players' placements, like those who decry "reaches" seem to think. The BA list is just one list that happens to be publicly available.

Archived