Andrew Miller DL'd with Forearm Strain

weams

He wouldn't provide value as a set up man? If he's not racking up saves, isn't he more likely to be an Oriole in 2016-17? If some team wants to overpay for him in a trade, isn't that a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at the value that we will end up paying him for. Besides, you can't demote him after a year like that as a Boras client? Really.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, Miller wasn't our closer, so you need to look back at games our bullpen blew late, not blown saves. And if you think of 10 games as 5 more wins (and 5 fewer losses), that's not a crazy stretch. If Cruz was hitting in our park during his (mostly) hot May while our bats were dormant, maybe we'd have 1-2 extra Ws. And if Miller was still around to stretch out our bullpen, you could speculate the same.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I think injuries are more to blame than anything for our slow start. Still a ton of baseball left, and getting our roster healthy at the right time will be a huge lift. We're already playing well again, and we don't have Schoop back yet.

I think it's obvious that the O's would be a handful of wins better right now if they'd signed Cruz and Miller. But just a handful, in what may be the most productive parts of their twin four-year, nearly $100M total commitments.

We blew no saves. So Miller nets you ZERO.

Cruz can't help the team he is on. They have two more losses than we do. He certainly wouldn't help anyone else.

To be fair, Miller wasn't our closer, so you need to look back at games our bullpen blew late, not blown saves. And if you think of 10 games as 5 more wins (and 5 fewer losses), that's not a crazy stretch. If Cruz was hitting in our park during his (mostly) hot May while our bats were dormant, maybe we'd have 1-2 extra Ws. And if Miller was still around to stretch out our bullpen, you could speculate the same.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I think injuries are more to blame than anything for our slow start. Still a ton of baseball left, and getting our roster healthy at the right time will be a huge lift. We're already playing well again, and we don't have Schoop back yet.

To have signed him, he would have been our closer. Sorry. And Britton probably traded. And Cruz? No Davis.

Weams, while I do agree that it was a good decision not to sign Miller for the money and the number of years that he was given by the Yankees, I also think that san fran makes a fair point in relation to not simply using Britton's save statistic as proof that Miller necessarily would not have made any difference at all in the Orioles' 2015 W-L record up until now.

Miller very well may have been the difference in 4 or 5 games when looking back on the first 1/3 of the Orioles' 2015 season for the reason(s) that san fran alluded to, which would have had us at perhaps 32-26 or 33-27 overall, instead of the 28-30 that we actually are ...... but again, for the money ($40 Million) and the years (4 years) that was given him by the Yankees, I don't think that it would have been worth it to match or better those numbers to keep him around in Birdland.

Not at the value that we will end up paying him for. Besides, you can't demote him after a year like that as a Boras client? Really.

Why not (regarding Boras)? What's he going to do, not have his FA sign with us? Sure the FSU guy could go back to school (I think he's a junior), but we'd get that pick back next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weams, while I do agree that it was a good decision not to sign Miller for the money and the number of years that he was given by the Yankees, I also think that san fran makes a fair point in relation to not simply using Britton's save statistic as proof that Miller necessarily would not have made any difference at all in the Orioles' 2015 W-L record up until now.

Miller very well may have been the difference in 4 or 5 games when looking back on the first 1/3 of the Orioles' 2015 season for the reason(s) that san fran alluded to, which would have had us at perhaps 32-26 or 33-27 overall, instead of the 28-30 that we actually are ...... but again, for the money ($40 Million) and the years (4 years) that was given him by the Yankees, I don't think that it would have been worth it to match or better those numbers to keep him around in Birdland.

I am guessing if you go back and check that even in a best case scenario it wouldn't make that much of an impact. The bats haven't been outscoring what the starting pitching has been allowing.

What does fair have to do with anything?

Cut me some slack.

How would you feel, seriously, if you was walking in his cleats?

I know, I know, lucky him, to have a professional job as a big league ball player.

Who knows, he might just very well, as taken it like Caleb has.

I'm not happy that Cruz and Miller are currently hurt.

I am however happy that there is little chance that someone is going to start yet another thread about how the O's should have retained Cruz and Miller.

THIS.

I'm hardly giddy about Miller's injury and Cruz's current slump, but I am positively beside myself to be given a reprieve from the posts regarding the O's offseason decisions on Miller and Cruz.

The sudden silence is downright blissful.

Cut me some slack.

How would you feel, seriously, if you was walking in his cleats?

I know, I know, lucky him, to have a professional job as a big league ball player.

Who knows, he might just very well, as taken it like Caleb has.

If it was me?

I'd be damn happy to be making 3.2 million this year after almost having my career destroyed by a shoulder injury.

I'd also realize that saves are a stupid stat and that pitching in high leverage situations in the 7-8th innings help my team win just as much as closing does.

I am sure the greedy part in me would be a bit upset that my future arbitration awards will be diminished but I'd get over it.

I am guessing if you go back and check that even in a best case scenario it wouldn't make that much of an impact. The bats haven't been outscoring what the starting pitching has been allowing.

The lack of offense has unquestionably been more of an issue than has been the pitching (both the starters and the relievers) so far this season, but if you look at the Orioles' entire season thus far, I think that you can find at least 3 or 4 games in which Andrew Miller coming in and bridging the gap to Britton would have made a difference.

I'll concede that my 4 or 5 games was rather high, so I will back that up to 3 or 4 games, with my overall point remaining the same.

What does fair have to do with anything?

Human beings are not fond of losing their jobs after doing them very well. I would assume that front offices take that into account, even if it isn't a primary factor in decisions. Luckily this doesn't come up much as most teams have multiple holes to fill, and limited resources, so they don't usually prioritize signing a star at a position where they already have a star.

To have signed him, he would have been our closer. Sorry. And Britton probably traded. And Cruz? No Davis.

The 2015 budget impact of signing Cruz/Miller is really the part of the equation that I choose to ignore. Not because it isn't a real thing but because I felt that it was a one year issue given the contracts coming off the books next year. But your point is a good one. likely the budget could not have included all the pieces involved.

I would have signed Cruz at his current contract (knowing full well that the last 2-3 years of it would likely make it a bad one) and I am pretty sure most people would trade his performance for Davis's at this point. I was all for signing Miller until he got 4/40. I was for signing Markakis at $8M ish.

I just thought they should take some significant risks for 2015. I will feel that way regardless of Cruz's results.

Archived