Roch: Penn Cut

dkdc

Penn's problems have been well documented. Apparently he has fallen down in favor by the Orioles organization and I for one, certainly understand why. Apparently some of you are a bit slow on the uptake for some reason though.:confused:

Sending him down was a no brainer IMO.

So..... you're saying that you haven't really seen him pitch?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Penn's problems have been well documented. Apparently he has fallen down in favor by the Orioles organization and I for one, certainly understand why. Apparently some of you are a bit slow on the uptake for some reason though.:confused:

Sending him down was a no brainer IMO.

I hate doing this, but that section is such horrible English that, although everyone knows what you mean, it really says that Penn fell into favor and was done so by the Orioles (impossible grammatical arrangement). Just please don't get down on others if you're going to leave yourself open. I'm no different, and get mine when deserved.

Anyways, that is so, very old, but you know that sort of old stuff ;) . Penn is no longer in any doghouse, and there's a different manager now who came to his defense last year when he forgot his bag.

Further on Penn :

One of the candidates, one-time top pitching prospect Hayden Penn was reassigned today to minor league camp and will start the season in Triple-A Norfolk's rotation. The reassignment was not a reflection on the spring performance by Penn, who allowed just one earned run in five innings. Rather, it's more an indication of how concerned the Orioles are about building their starting pitching depth.

Penn was sent out so the 23-year-old right-hander would be ready early in the season if the Orioles have to dip into the minors to fill the major league rotation. He was getting just one- or two-inning outings in major league camp, and team officials didn't think that was enough to prepare him.

"Nobody should make the inference if you are out of here relatively early that you are the first guy to go," Orioles president Andy MacPhail said. "We're going to try to build up as many internal options as we can. We liked the way he pitched, but he's going to do us more good getting stretched out and getting ready."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-orioles0313,0,3236629.story

and:

Penn was trying to earn a spot at the backend of the rotation or in the bullpen as a long reliever, but the Orioles don't believe he'll build up enough innings in major league games.

"I think in order to do him justice and to the club justice, we need to get him some starts and get him stretched out and get some innings under his belt," Trembley said.

Penn allowed two runs (one earned) and three hits in five spring innings. He appeared in only four games at Norfolk last season, three coming after he underwent surgery to remove a bone spur from his right elbow.

"I think Penn is back on track. I think he's finally healthy," Trembley said. "I've seen his approach improve. He's probably disappointed that he's getting sent out. But I told him, you have to look at it from a standpoint of I'm trying to be fair to you. I could have kept him here right until the end of camp and let him pitch one inning, two innings. Then what good would it have done for us to send him over there and start the season as a starter in Norfolk and be limited to 45-50 pitches? That's not fair to him and that's not fair to us."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-penn0313,0,6294832.story

I'm stunned by this thread. I thought this was a no-brainer.

For those who've decided Penn is done (just because you've been hearing his name for a few years?) I just wanted to point out that Hayden Penn will be 23 all season. He is younger than: Albers, Hoey, JJ, Liz, Olson, Luis Hernandez, Scott Moore, Nolan Reimold, Blake Davis, Deza, and McCrory. He is younger than Rule five Randor Bierd (who turns 24 tomorrow)!!

He's less than three months older than 2007 draft pick Tim Bascom.

Oh, and just to add fuel to one of the debates going on... Penn struck out 27 in 22.1 ip in the AFL this year.

So..... you're saying that you haven't really seen him pitch?

I think that's EXACTLY what he's saying. It's pretty easy to come off certain in your proclamations when you don't have to worry about any evidence that may tell you what you don't want to hear.

Archived