Manny Machado...

Oriolesallday

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was a teenager there was much made of the debuts/rookies in 1986. All of the following plausible HOF players made their MLB debuts in 1986:

M. McGwire

K. Brown

F. McGriff

G. Maddux

R. Palmeiro

B. Larkin

B. Bonds

B. Santiago

W. Clark

D. Cone

Plus a bunch of guys with really good, through probably non-HOF, careers:

C. Finley

W. Joyner

B. Bonilla

J. Bell

Bo

K. Seitzer

D. Drabek

J. Moyer

J. Kruk

R. Sierra

T. Steinbach

And a whole bunch of pretty good guys with a big year or two, or careers as relievers:

B. Thigpen

C. Snyder

D. Sveum

D. Plesac

P. Incavaglia

J. Nieves

K. Daniels

That was a ton of young talent coming into the league in a single year.

Wow, that is a hell of a list. Though I will quibble with listing Benito Santiago as a "plausible Hall of Famer". I don't think even Mrs. Santiago feels that way! I would put most of your second list in the Hall before Santiago.

Wow, that is a hell of a list. Though I will quibble with listing Benito Santiago as a "plausible Hall of Famer". I don't think even Mrs. Santiago feels that way! I would put most of your second list in the Hall before Santiago.

Yea, in retrospect that was a stretch. I guess I remembered a 20ish year career with a bunch of fielding accolades and fairly decent offense and thought he was around 40 WAR. But he actually ended up with a career value in the high 20s, on par with Chris Hoiles and Rick Dempsey. But hey, he's five wins ahead of actual HOF catcher Ray Schalk! If Santiago just had a good story like being a clean guy on a team of cheaters he might have gotten in. Or if he'd been eligible before the invention of modern metrics...

I'd take the risk considering how great of a deal it could be. The doctors said they corrected the abnormality in each knee during those surgeries as well.

He certainly is moving like a "specimen" now - gliding to balls, stealing bases, scampering, coming in on dribblers, bending and throwing accurately. His moves like a supreme athlete (IMHO).

Edit - did I not mention diving, righting himself and throwing from his "knees"? :clap3:

Archived