Roch: Going for it.

weams

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the whole quote:

That doesn't suggest to me that there will be some sort of blockbuster acquisition. Just moves akin to what we saw in 2012-2014.

I didn't see anyone assuming a blockbuster acquisition. Maybe someone can remind me the last time the Orioles had one of those at midseason? The biggest names were postseason and there haven't been many of those either. Albert Belle in 1998? Tejada in 2003? The biggest blockbuster deals at last year's trade deadline were Oakland with Boston (both teams currently in last place) , and Detroit.

The relevant bit of Roch's article is that they won't be selling off expiring contracts if the Orioles are close to contention.

You are probably right. Buck gives him and Gonzo a good amount of rest it seems (like not pitching Chen in the Blue Jays series), so I truly believe he isn't as good as the numbers dictate. I think he a good pitcher, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he is an elite pitcher and if we could get a haul for the value of an elite pitcher, you gotta jump on that. But you are probably right, it won't happen.

I don't think he's elite, either. Basically, he's Ted Lilly. He'd fetch more at the deadline than what we gave up to get Feldman, though I wouldn't bet that whoever we acquired would turn out as well as Arrieta.

Evidently the value of the come pick somewhere around eight to $9 million Dollars.

Yeah, I'd have to think Schoop could bring back 2-3 WAR annual valuation + added value of cost saved over his reduced salary while under control. Drawback is he could be a 3-5 WAR player, but that's the risk the O's would take on in getting back a player with a track record. He would make a lot of sense for Philly; issue comes if Cubs are dangling Castro (who fits similar profile but with longer track record).

Trade any of our young guys except Schoop, Gausman and Machado.

I'd only trade Bundy, Harvey, etc. for a TOR starter or All-Star caliber COF.

My thoughts exactly

You aren't getting that return by anchoring a package with damaged goods. It's a really crappy spot to be in, but Baltimore likely has to either ignore those guys as trade pieces or assume they are only getting 50, maybe 75, cents on the dollar if including them.

I don't think he's elite, either. Basically, he's Ted Lilly. He'd fetch more at the deadline than what we gave up to get Feldman, though I wouldn't bet that whoever we acquired would turn out as well as Arrieta.

I'd love for Norris to run off some good starts and then eat some contract in order to move him for a useful upper-minors piece. E.g., would be nifty to do something like:

Norris (O's pay 50% of remaining contract)

and

Mike Wright

for

Dan Vogelbach (Double-A DH pure bat with pop type)

Victor Caratini (High A glove-first catcher with a chance to hit for average)

General parameters -- not sure how either side truly values those players.

I don't think we should move any key pending FA parts either - while we are in contention.

It would be nice to see DD conjure up some trade value from Paredes, one of the OFers, to promote Gausman, Schoop, etc to lessen the cost of what we might trade for.

I think it is very UNlikely that we deal one or more of Cisco, Gausman, Schoop, Bundy and Harvey (and possibly another supplemental draft pick) in an attempt to gain all-star quality in LF, SP or an additional bullpen arm
.FTFY :laughlol:

I've been thinking about this since this past winter. I believe Angelos, DD and the Jays worked up a deal that keeps all parties happy an ddirectly impacts how aggressive and what we will give up as the trade deadline nears. It goes something like this...

Angelos agreed to trade DD to the Jays following this season for something less than what he wanted during the winter on the condition that DD fields a winning team this year. If it looks like DD is being lackadaisical - no deals and he gets demoted or something like that.

With that being said - it would not surprise me if Angelos - who is old and decrepit, is willing to trade the farm for someone like Hammels. DD wouldn't care because he is gone after the year and the new GM (Brady?) essentially gets to rebuild on a solid core of Machado, Jones and whoever hasn't been traded.

I've been thinking about this since this past winter. I believe Angelos, DD and the Jays worked up a deal that keeps all parties happy an ddirectly impacts how aggressive and what we will give up as the trade deadline nears. It goes something like this...

Angelos agreed to trade DD to the Jays following this season for something less than what he wanted during the winter on the condition that DD fields a winning team this year. If it looks like DD is being lackadaisical - no deals and he gets demoted or something like that.

With that being said - it would not surprise me if Angelos - who is old and decrepit, is willing to trade the farm for someone like Hammels. DD wouldn't care because he is gone after the year and the new GM (Brady?) essentially gets to rebuild on a solid core of Machado, Jones and whoever hasn't been traded.

This wouldn't happen. Maybe you agree to revisit next offseason if both sides are still interested, and at a time where Baltimore can properly plan for finding a replacement, but there isn't any handshake agreement with a team performance requirement to "keep Duquette honest."

tumblr_mudyxv0kD71sh3zhpo1_r1_500.gif

Archived