Roch: Going for it.

weams

I agree with this. Weams has suggested an experienced lefthanded reliever that can get lefties and righties out. That makes sense to me.

That would be my best guess. And that is all it is. The cupboard seems well stocked in the outfield, bench bat DH and infield positions. Even if we jettison a starter we still seem to have Wilson in the wings.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this is the scary part. We have a bunch of expiring salaries, and we are set to trade our best prospects? Really? This is just not sustainable baseball management, and it is my biggest fear. I would much prefer to stay very close to where we are, with what we presently have plus a middling addition or two and go for it. Selling out to win it all this year is imo unrealistic and short sighted.

If the O's win the World Series 2015 how will you feel about the way things are

done then?

I would love to see a trade of Chen (think he is good but overrated). He isn't resigning here and might bring us a nice haul which could open a spot for Gausman. I honestly believe Norris will improve. I am speechless about Tillman. Still think he needs a DL stint to work things out.

If the O's win the World Series 2015 how will you feel about the way things are

done then?

I'm one of the few on the "hold on to our best prospects" side of the argument too. Mainly because we have so many guys leaving this upcoming off season. If we go all in, we'll gain a better chance in reaching the playoffs and advancing in them. But it makes it that much harder to get back to contention the next few seasons down the road.

If we can figure out a way to get this done with our very replaceable assets (players in positions we're overstocked in, or guys from the high minors that may or may not make an MLB impact like Walker or Alverez, or middling prospect pitchers from the mid-minors) then I'm all for it. But if costs us pieces like Gausman (those who we have a very good chance of getting great value out of four several seasons at minimum cost), then not so much.

I would love to see a trade of Chen (think he is good but overrated). He isn't resigning here and might bring us a nice haul which could open a spot for Gausman. I honestly believe Norris will improve. I am speechless about Tillman. Still think he needs a DL stint to work things out.

Chen has been our best pitcher this season. For 2015, Gausman is a big downgrade from Chen IMO. I don't see Chen going anywhere unless we fall out of contention over the next six weeks.

He also costs about 50x more than Norris did in terms of contract dollars. So we have some different options. 1, we take on more of his contract and offer less in prospects, or 2, we offer more in prospects and take on substantially less money. I hope they decide to take on the money if he's healthy, because we'll have a lot coming off the books after this season, and should be able to afford him moving forward.

But Hamels isn't being overpaid. He's a 6 WAR pitcher being paid to be less than a 4 WAR pitcher. Teams eat salary not because a guy has a high salary, but because there is no excess value on the contract. That isn't true with Hamels. Even at that price, you're getting value.

This is not real life, it's negotiations. Why wouldn't they ask for Bundy?? In hindsight, with all Bundy's arm issues and need to be on the 25 man roster next year, that deal today would look like a steal and people would be accusing the O's of selling damaged goods.

There is a BIG difference in them asking for Bundy, and us actually considering him as part of the deal.

But Hamels isn't being overpaid. He's a 6 WAR pitcher being paid to be less than a 4 WAR pitcher. Teams eat salary not because a guy has a high salary' date=' but because there is no excess value on the contract. That isn't true with Hamels. Even at that price, you're getting value.[/quote']

With Bundy and Harvey off limits due to injury, I seriously doubt that we have enough to land Hamels, even if we pay all his salary.

Chen has been our best pitcher this season. For 2015, Gausman is a big downgrade from Chen IMO. I don't see Chen going anywhere unless we fall out of contention over the next six weeks.

You are probably right. Buck gives him and Gonzo a good amount of rest it seems (like not pitching Chen in the Blue Jays series), so I truly believe he isn't as good as the numbers dictate. I think he a good pitcher, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he is an elite pitcher and if we could get a haul for the value of an elite pitcher, you gotta jump on that. But you are probably right, it won't happen.

You are probably right. Buck gives him and Gonzo a good amount of rest it seems (like not pitching Chen in the Blue Jays series), so I truly believe he isn't as good as the numbers dictate. I think he a good pitcher, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he is an elite pitcher and if we could get a haul for the value of an elite pitcher, you gotta jump on that. But you are probably right, it won't happen.

The time to trade Chen probably would have been this past offseason. I think they could have received some pretty good offers for him. That being said, having him on the team cheaply this season and getting a comp pick for him isn't all that bad, especially if we're "going for it".

Archived