Roch: Going for it.

weams

The time to trade Chen probably would have been this past offseason. I think they could have received some pretty good offers for him. That being said, having him on the team cheaply this season and getting a comp pick for him isn't all that bad, especially if we're "going for it".

Hard to argue, you are both probably right. Again, I would only do it if it was a "haul", above and beyond the comp pick very decisively.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Bundy and Harvey off limits due to injury, I seriously doubt that we have enough to land Hamels, even if we pay all his salary.

Unless we trade Schoop. He may be one of the most valuable young, affordable players in MLB right now.

If we do another win now move at the expense of the future in order to increase our World Series odds a few percentage points, I'll be pissed.

I really think the best course of action would be to try and find a good contender to contender type deal. I think we see more and more of those as it is anyway since there are so few clear cut sellers. The Orioles have an excess of corner out fielders, perhaps a package of one or two of them with a more mid-level type prospect could be doable.

Unless we trade Schoop. He may be one of the most valuable young, affordable players in MLB right now.

I just can't see this happening. He is exactly the type of player we need to keep. Plus, you can tell by the way the rest of the team talks about him that he is a HUGE presence in the clubhouse.

I just can't see this happening. He is exactly the type of player we need to keep. Plus, you can tell by the way the rest of the team talks about him that he is a HUGE presence in the clubhouse.

Very true, unless DD gets a phone call and they knock his socks off.

I can't either, but I thought I should amend my previous comment because making Schoop available could make it possible.

Go after Will Smith. He's Andrew Miller with a few less strikes outs but will be under team control (through 2019) and has a better track record than Miller did at this time last season. He can get out both lefties and righties. Given that he is not a pending free agent, he won't come cheap but I'd rather give up something legit for a young guy who we will have under control.

After that, it depends what everything looks like at the end of July. At this point, I'd rather not trade for a rental outfielder or a marginal upgrade when we have a lot of depth in that area. Young, cost controlled power hitters generally are not available at the trade deadline so I'd rather stick with what we have unless something happens between now and the end of July that makes upgrading more of a priority. Same goes for starting pitching.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Norris or even Tillman in the right deal either. No reason the organization cannot look to win now while still keeping an eye on the future. If our best five is clearly Chen/Gonzo/Ubaldo/Gausman and one of Tillman/Norris, no reason not to move the odd man out in the right deal.

If we do another win now move at the expense of the future in order to increase our World Series odds a few percentage points, I'll be pissed.

This! I just can't see mortgaging the future right now. We have already been down this road and it isn't good. I have a lifelong, long term view for the Baltimore Orioles. And I do not gamble. I would strongly prefer to just stay the course and play the hand we have. I can understand a minor move or two, but this giving away our top young talent in exchange for the "fix", just seldom works and always hurts long term.

This! I just can't see mortgaging the future right now. We have already been down this road and it isn't good. I have a lifelong, long term view for the Baltimore Orioles. And I do not gamble. I would strongly prefer to just stay the course and play the hand we have. I can understand a minor move or two, but this giving away our top young talent in exchange for the "fix", just seldom works and always hurts long term.

I agree. I'd much rather use St. Louis as a model (always a contender) than Miami (forfeit the future for one big score). Good organizations don't rebuild.

I agree. I'd much rather use St. Louis as a model (always a contender) than Miami (forfeit the future for one big score). Good organizations don't rebuild.

Who is the starting first baseman for the Cardinals, right now?

You grown your talent in-house, but, you have to fill-in with FA and trades to the rest of your roster.

But Hamels isn't being overpaid. He's a 6 WAR pitcher being paid to be less than a 4 WAR pitcher. Teams eat salary not because a guy has a high salary' date=' but because there is no excess value on the contract. That isn't true with Hamels. Even at that price, you're getting value.[/quote']

But the Orioles need to find even better values than that due to their payroll limitations. Anyway, it doesn't matter. An Orioles offer would never beat what the Cubs can offer and they are in the market.

But the Orioles need to find even better values than that due to their payroll limitations. Anyway, it doesn't matter. An Orioles offer would never beat what the Cubs can offer and they are in the market.

Wow...a rotation with Hamels and Lester at the top would be tough.

I don't think we should move any key pending FA parts either - while we are in contention.

It would be nice to see DD conjure up some trade value from Paredes, one of the OFers, to promote Gausman, Schoop, etc to lessen the cost of what we might trade for.

I think it is very likely that we deal one or more of Cisco, Gausman, Schoop, Bundy and Harvey (and possibly another supplemental draft pick) in an attempt to gain all-star quality in LF, SP or an additional bullpen arm.

Archived