Should the Orioles sign Alex Gordon

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordon is their franchise player. They are averaging 10k fans more a game than last year. If they don't resign Gordon, I think they'll reverse what they started here from the fans coming back to the great feeling around the team in general.

I don't know about you but Alex Gordon seems to fit the mold as a perfect oriole. He plays outstanding defense' date=' plays the outfield and has a good bat. I think the Orioles should do whatever it takes to sign him in the off season.[/quote']

Not sure.

The best left fielder in baseball. Period. KC will make every attempt to bring him back, and I know that he will be expensive. I think the O's will not get involved here, the cost will be prohibitive.

I don't agree with this at all, Brett Gardner is a better all around player, Justin Upton is just as good if not better, but as of right now Yoenis Cespedes is having the best season of all the LFs in baseball.

I don't agree with this at all' date=' Brett Gardner is a better all around player, Justin Upton is just as good if not better, but as of right now Yoenis Cespedes is having the best season of all the LFs in baseball.[/quote']

Looking at their seasons:

Gardner .292/.365/.482/.847

Gordon .270/.387/.437/.824

Cespedes .305/.336/.498/.834

All having good years, not great years. Not sure any of them are going to be worth the long term contract they will get. I KNOW Heyward is not worth the contract he will get, he is slightly better than Travis Snider at the plate.

He'll be 32 at the start of the season next year. Paying big for a guy like that would be a foolish move. Something the Yankees would do. See one Beltran, Carlos.

The Yankees signed Beltran entering his age 37 season. That's not really close to 32. A very good 32 year old player has a decent chance of having another 3-5 good years left. Nearly everyone is bad at baseball by 37-40. Its still a risk, of course, and it may not be the best use of money, but we're likely going to have to take on risk somewhere, whether it's signing a starter, extending Wieters, or signing Gordon/Cespedes. We're losing too many players next year to do nothing.

Austin Jackson could be a good buy-low, change of scenery guy.

I don't agree with this at all' date=' Brett Gardner is a better all around player, Justin Upton is just as good if not better, but as of right now Yoenis Cespedes is having the best season of all the LFs in baseball.[/quote']

rWAR the last 3 seasons:

Gardner 11.2

Gordon 13

Upton 8.4

Cespedes 6.9

We're paying Adam Jones $15 million a year through 2018. I doubt very much that the Orioles will pay a free agent more than that while AJ is still wearing orange and black. If we did we'd have to immediately renegotiate the Jones' contract so that he'd get paid at least as much as the new guy. Which also sets the benchmark for future dealings with Machado etc.

Don't see it happening.

I don't think that's the case at all.

Why does Jones have to be our highest paid player? He's not the best player on this team right now. Machado is worth more than Jones, and the O's should lock him up accordingly.

Well according to WAR' date=' Brett Gardner is just as good as Adam Jones in that time frame and Gordon is better. Would you rather have Gordon or Jones?[/quote']

Don't Gardner, Upton, Gordon, and Cespedes' WAR all benefit from playing corner OF positions? Doesn't seem like an apples-to-apples comparison. I would take AJ over any of those guys.

Archived