Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

Guest oriofan8

Even if you have Trax AND Marquis in the rotation...this year means nothing, and we still have good young pitching at Norfolk getting ready for 2009. Trax and Marquis give our young arms more seasoning. This year doesn't matter.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if you have Trax AND Marquis in the rotation...this year means nothing, and we still have good young pitching at Norfolk getting ready for 2009. Trax and Marquis give our young arms more seasoning. This year doesn't matter.

Yea but the young guys need the ML experience for when the year does matter.

You can't keep putting off the inevitable.

If the player has nothing left to show in AAA, then this is the year you give that player 25+ starts.

This year doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter in the W/L column, although I hope we're spoilers. But it matters how we play. If we play hard, and play right, and keep our heads in the right place, the younger crowd will learn some valuable lessons about how the game's played in Baltimore. "How the game's played in Baltimore." I want to see that in print in a few years. We used to be able to say that. I want to say it again.

Guest oriofan8
Yea but the young guys need the ML experience for when the year does matter.

You can't keep putting off the inevitable.

If the player has nothing left to show in AAA, then this is the year you give that player 25+ starts.

But...if young guys are rushed...on a losing team, what does it hurt to get them more confidence in AAA? If we are a rebuilding team, and we rush our young arms too quickly, does it hurt them "long term"? I feel a coupla veterens, with no future on this club for 1 season of losing...doesn't hurt. A STRONG season in AAA for the young guys...a little seasoning..a little success...Norfolk outta be a GREAT team this season. Let some of them learn how to WIN...not learn how to lose.

But...if young guys are rushed...on a losing team, what does it hurt to get them more confidence in AAA? If we are a rebuilding team, and we rush our young arms too quickly, does it hurt them "long term"? I feel a coupla veterens, with no future on this club for 1 season of losing...doesn't hurt. A STRONG season in AAA for the young guys...a little seasoning..a little success...Norfolk outta be a GREAT team this season. Let some of them learn how to WIN...not learn how to lose.

No one is saying to rush them.

But if they have nothing left to prove in the minors, like Olson, there is no need to keep them down in the minors.

Crisp is much better, no question about it. Oakland is after Crisp also.
Crisp is better but has 3 years left on his deal. Payton only has one that's why I see the Cubs taking Payton. By getting Roberts, Pie can just play good defense and hit 7th in the order with no pressure on him. Payton can play against LH and give Soriano a day off once in a while.

Will the O's make any quick trades if this deal is done? Or will they hang onto everything and try to make some deals before the deadline?

Depending on how many players and who gets dealt i wouldnt be suprised to see a deal for Hu or Duran. As far as the older vets, i expect them,if they get moved, to be moved as injury replacements later into the season.

One interesting thought might be looking towards Clev, NYM, SD or TB if there still tends to be a glut of OFs

Depending on how many players and who gets dealt i wouldnt be suprised to see a deal for Hu or Duran. As far as the older vets, i expect them,if they get moved, to be moved as injury replacements later into the season.

One interesting thought might be looking towards Clev, NYM, SD or TB if there still tends to be a glut of OFs

I would love to get Hu. What do you think it would take to get him?

Why are we so impressed by Cedeno and Patterson? I can't find any stats on them that make you think they are going to be anything but average backup infielders. They don't even have any speed to talk about.

Way back when.....November I believe I mentioned including Ryan Theriot SS in the deal for Roberts along with Gallagher, Veal and Ceda and with Payton included we will probably also get Marquis with the Cubs eating some of his salary. I don't really care if we get a fifth player back if they just take Payton's contract. AM cares so a fifth player will be added.

The Cubs want Theriot and Roberts up the middle to give them 75+ steals and good defense up the middle. Theriot fits the bill of a younger shortstop (28) with a pretty good bat and 28 steals last year. We need to get speed back if we trade Roberts and we already passed on resigning Corey Patterson so we are losing a lot of speed. The Cubs can go out and trade for Wilson or Uribe to take Theriot's space. They can probably get Uribe for Murton in a crosstown trade. I don't want a couple of mediocre infielders with a little potential. Theriot can play SS and leadoff and will only cost you $390,000. You might say why would the Cubs trade Theriot who is similar to Roberts? Roberts has more power, hits for a higher average is faster and is a switch hitter. If Cedeno and Patterson are so great let the Cubs keep them and prove to everyone how good they are. They are both overrated. Who is the Adam Jones or Luke Scott in this deal. We have to get a future star player back that is major league ready in a Roberts deal. Gallagher, Veal and Ceda are still prospects. Theriot has ML experience and Marquis does if he is included.

We can then go back to the Astros and get Loretta to play second for a year or two until we develop a young 2B. Loretta was not in the lineup today as the Astros beat the Dodgers in their last game at Dodgertown (Vero Beach). If successful getting Theriot we could flip him to the Padres in a package for Khalil Greene. Yes! I know he just signed a 2 year contract but Towers has said he is only there short term because he wants to return to the East (from PA). It was also mentioned in the article on MSN that the Orioles are believed to be coming to Vero Beach next year as we have been hearing for quite awhile now.

Archived