Delmon Young Released (Appreciation Thread)

TonySoprano

Maybe you shouldn't take the Os announcers quite so literally. Especially Homer-ish rhetoric like Bordick's. It's fairly obvious that Delmon Young is NOT one of the better right hand hitters in the AL.

Well... one of the 400ish best RH hitters in the AL and affiliated minor leagues.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a pretty big fan of Delmon actually - now he's officially released. He separated himself from the other outfield competitors by having too high of a batting average, and therefore now he must go...

Anyway, I definitely thank him for all contributions to the team this year and last. We can now rely on the proven hot bats of Lough, Reimold, Snider, and Parmalee to take us back into the postseason.

Guest rochester
If you got Demon to play on your softball team he could play SS and third at the same time and he'd hit like .900 with a 3.300 OPS.

hmmm... subconscious maybe? :)

I was a pretty big fan of Delmon actually - now he's officially released. He separated himself from the other outfield competitors by having too high of a batting average, and therefore now he must go...

Anyway, I definitely thank him for all contributions to the team this year and last. We can now rely on the proven hot bats of Lough, Reimold, Snider, and Parmalee to take us back into the postseason.

Yeah, he was really killing it with that .628 OPS, .276 wOBA, 71 wRC+ and general below replacement level play. What were these guys watching?

He was so good that Duquette had teams lining up to make a deal for him. That's why he got such a haul...

Maybe you shouldn't take the Os announcers quite so literally. Especially Homer-ish rhetoric like Bordick's. It's fairly obvious that Delmon Young is NOT one of the better right hand hitters in the AL.

Ha. I love Bordick as a player and a guy, but some of the things he says... it's as if he hasn't been around the game as long as he has been. :scratchchinhmm:

I guess GMs that are interested are willing to take the chance he would be released, so they can sign him without costing a body.

I am sure that Delmon will find a team to latch on to but I am not all that surprised there is little interest in trading for him.

He is not a great fielder, his bat was mediocre to this point of this year. Not sure why anyone thought that he would have any real value in a trade. Wish him luck moving forward.

I am sure that Delmon will find a team to latch on to but I am not all that surprised there is little interest in trading for him.

He is not a great fielder, his bat was mediocre to this point of this year. Not sure why anyone thought that he would have any real value in a trade. Wish him luck moving forward.

Yeah, very true, such a great value, that yet, he isn't needed for the roster.

Yeah, very true, such a great value, that yet, he isn't needed for the roster.

Delmon is one of those guys whose career will be puzzling to future fans. A defensively-challenged corner outfielder with little speed who nonetheless managed to accumulate over 4000 PAs of sub-replacement production. You'll get players with long careers and sub-replacement production but they're usually catchers/middle infielders with defensive reputations that aren't reflected in metrics, or multi-position utility guys, or sometimes long-time NL pinch hitters. It's pretty rare to have a guy who's job is basically DH who doesn't really hit but still gets an eight-year career as a regular or semi-regular.

Daryl Ward and Jason Kubel seem to be Delmon's closest comps over the last 25 years.

Ha. I love Bordick as a player and a guy, but some of the things he says... it's as if he hasn't been around the game as long as he has been. :scratchchinhmm:

He knows what he is saying. His close relationship and helping with the team might get in the way of being a little objective. I am not sure what happened because last year he seemed to be getting better. This year,he has been Billy BS.

If you got Demon to play on your softball team he could play SS and third at the same time and he'd hit like .900 with a 3.300 OPS.

Exactly. Surely some club team would have been willing to eat a few dollars of his contract and send us a player back. Probably not someone who could play baseball, but someone with options at least.

Exactly. Surely some club team would have been willing to eat a few dollars of his contract and send us a player back. Probably not someone who could play baseball, but someone with options at least.

That wasn't really my point. It was more like that you can be an excellent, excellent player from a 7 billion people in the world perspective and still be relatively valueless to a MLB team. The best player in the Atlantic League might not be a major leaguer at all.

Archived