Delmon Young Released (Appreciation Thread)

TonySoprano

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was 8 rows behind the 1st base dugout when Delmon hit that double. I've never been part of anything like that excitement in all my years watching sports. For that, I'll forever have a special place in my heart for Mr. Young. Thanks for everything and good luck to you.
So was I.....five feet from the foul pole!

Probably over 100K fans were in attendance that night! ;)

Not that I don't believe you both.

I was 8 rows behind the 1st base dugout when Delmon hit that double. I've never been part of anything like that excitement in all my years watching sports. For that, I'll forever have a special place in my heart for Mr. Young. Thanks for everything and good luck to you.

I was in the last row of the nosebleeds in LF for that play, and even there the excitement and energy after Delmon's hit was amazing. Thank you Delmon, and thank you Joba Chamberlain!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's announce they released Delmon Young. Little surprising that no trade came together. Were able to deal De Aza after DFA.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm very surprised we were able to trade DeAza and not Delmon.

De Aza is a hero in Boston. Funny.

From, the Sun:

De Aza has been universally praised in the Boston media, culminating with this headline on what?s a good analysis from Baseball Prospectus Boston: Alejandro De Aza: The Hero Boston Needed.

But in a crowded corner outfield situation full of underachievers to start off 2015, the $5 million man De Aza was the first to be shown the door. He was batting .214/.277/.359 through 30 games and essentially forfeited a chance to solidify himself as the team?s primary leadoff hitter?he was the only player on the roster with much experience there.

So when the Orioles needed to add Ryan Flaherty from the disabled list in late May, De Aza was designated for assignment.

Boston, which somehow needed outfield depth despite entering the season with a glut of outfielders on the 40-man roster, brought De Aza in. They clearly saw value the pitcher sent to the Orioles, right-hander Joe Gunkel, is a high-floor prospect with a major league future.

Since then, the Red Sox have been missing defensive liability Hanley Ramirez in left field, and De Aza has hit .306/.352/.588 with three homers and a league-leading five triples. The Red Sox are 14-7 in games he's started. According to Fangraphs, his 1.0 WAR is fifth on the Red Sox, ahead of regulars Ramirez, third baseman Pablo Sandoval, and first baseman Mike Napoli.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-former-orioles-alejandro-de-aza-keying-red-sox-charge-hailed-as-hero-in-boston-20150709-story.html

http://boston.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2015/07/09/alejandro-de-aza-red-sox-outfield/

Archived