Delmon Young Released (Appreciation Thread)

TonySoprano

Also, Weams posted in game thread that Giants and Pirates might be possible suitors. Def NL team.

I am hoping it is the Nats:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, as soon as the MASN deal is solved and they kiss and make up.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delmon will always have that special moment during AL Divisional game. He seemed like a good teammate. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about his acquisition due to his history. I never heard one bad thing about his attitude or work ethic.

Thanks for the memories, Delmon. Maybe you'll be wearing orange and black again sometime soon.

In theory, De Aza netted us Gunkel, and we kept Delmon because he had more value than De Aza. So, again in theory, Gunkel should be the minimum we might get for Delmon. In theory.

My favorite Delmon memory aside from the ALDS was a game at the end of the year in 2014. The division was already in hand. O's were playing the Rays or the Jays, I believe. To that point Delmon had barely been playing any OF but Buck started putting him in LF to match up against LHPs, which he ended up doing through the playoffs. With a man on second, somebody hit a deep ball that sent Delmon back deep into the gap. There was no chance of the runner advancing but he uncorked a monster throw spinning and throwing against his momentum an absolute bullet for a strike on the fly, caught perfectly nonchalantly by Machado. The O's announcers just started cracking up because they had no idea he had that kind of arm.

http://gfycat.com/ShockingMistyEnglishsetter

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed watching Delmon play last season. As an Oriole, in addition to his play, he has given every indication that the indiscretions of his youth are behind him. I wish him all the best (when he's not playing against us).

What else is there to say? Delmon gave us one of the greatest memories in O's history, and for some, probably their greatest so far. While his heroics didn't lead us to the ultimate prize, that moment was one that none of us will soon forget - if ever. Whether this is the end of the road for Delmon and the O's is TBD, but it's safe to assume someone out there will snap him up soon enough.

Thanks for the 2014 ALDS, Delmon. That incredible play is only matched by Vernon Davis' 2011 heroics in my adult fanhood.

Archived