Closing in on Perez

bigbird

Honest question here. Wasn't Knott cut by the Padres even though he had minor league options left? Are the Padres so deep in great young hitters that they had no need for another? Or did they come to the same "stupid" conclusion that the O's have-that he isn't ready for prime time. I guess in the Padres case, they felt he never would be. Tell me where I'm off here.

Thanks

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not disagreeing with you, but if you really think its not far fetched then you havent been paying attention. It is my belief that they lack the confidence to do that, and I guess you can say its sort of being supported by the fact that they have under-used him all ST.

You said, "with our current configuration".

Sorry if I took it out of context. I agree that it is highly unlikely.

Perez and Johnson. One who have to go when Payton came back. Or someone else would need to be traded.

Johnson is out of options. His spring would not normally win him a spot in the majors. 241/328/370/698.

However, Johnson's problem last year at AAA and in the majors was that he did not hit righthanded pitching. He hit lefties pretty well - 926 OPS and AAA and a 854 OPS for the Padres.

He is a better fielder than Knott or DuBois according to reports.

Honest question here. Wasn't Knott cut by the Padres even though he had minor league options left? Are the Padres so deep in great young hitters that they had no need for another? Or did they come to the same "stupid" conclusion that the O's have-that he isn't ready for prime time. I guess in the Padres case, they felt he never would be. Tell me where I'm off here.

Thanks

They are deep in the positions Knott plays.

Im not one for the pilling on of the FO which occurs to often on here but the aquisition of Perez pretty much acknowledges the goof they made exposing Phelps in the Rule 5 draft.

No truer words have been spoken in this thread.

Phelps is young enough that he could have stuck around here for a few years as well.

The way Phelps was handled just leads me to believe the front office still doesn't know what its doing.

At the very, very least, they might even use Perez to PH for Gibbons or CPat against a LHP. When Payton is healthy, you'd hope that he'd play CF against LHP. If not, he's in LF. Gibbons or Huff can play LF with Millar & Perez at 1B & DH. Only one of Gibbons or Huff should be in the lineup vs. a LHP, IMO, but there's no need to have Perez or Millar in LF. Gibbons & Huff should both be adequate out there. They both have extensive experience in RF.

I know to you can't assume 500+ ab's from our regulars, especially Jay, but let's assume it right now.

Sammy has made it known that he wants CPat and Gibbons in there everyday except against the real tough lefties.

So, with that being the case, the lineup will have this going on most of the time:

1st- Huff

LF- Payton

DH- Gibbons

CF- CPat

That will happen most of the time.

So, when does Millar and Perez get in? Against those "real tough" lefties?

No truer words have been spoken in this thread.

Phelps is young enough that he could have stuck around here for a few years as well.

The way Phelps was handled just leads me to believe the front office still doesn't know what its doing.

Phelps still has to stick the entire season or be offered back. If the Yankees have some injuries he could still be low man on the totem pole. Granted I'm sure the Yankees would fake an injury to stash him on the DL or trade him for someone else to play "keep away" with the Orioles. Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse with roster management after the Chris Gomez debacle...

A LH hitting reserve OF makes little sense. That doesn't mean they don't want Chavez though.

They might be looking at him as Corey Patterson's replacement. Though I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Adam Stern in that role in 2008.

They might be looking at him as Corey Patterson's replacement. Though I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Adam Stern in that role in 2008.

If Adam Stern ever makes it as a full time position player in the ML, I think I'd have a coronary.

A LH hitting reserve OF makes little sense. That doesn't mean they don't want Chavez though.

True, but the front office is like Daniel Snyder at times, they will have some platoon type player in mind and will try to acquire him even though it makes little sense. Also, if the Orioles do get Eduardo Perez like bigbird suggested, they better acquire an outfielder that has options...

The outfielder has to be Endy Chavez...especially since the O's wanted him as the starting centerfielder before they acquired Corey Patterson.

Yes Chavez hits lefty, but he really is the perfect backup outfielder. Just like Perez and Gomez, Chavez can sit for extended periods of time and still hit well when called upon. He is also great for pinch running and an excellent defender. I would love to pick him up if the price is just Williams. Do you think Williams is enough for Chavez?

Vs. lefties over the last year: .275/.331/.503/.834 in 150 AB

Last three years: .260/.345/.498/.843 in 315 AB

Who's gonna tell Millar?

C'mon they couldn't be smart enough to platoon him with Millar, they're probably going after him to pinch hit when Bynum's not available because he's pinch running.

With the pitchers going on the disabled list, that leaves the Royals one player over the 25-man limit. Kansas City is carrying an extra outfielder. The Royals could trade Reggie Sanders or Emil Brown, which would open up a spot for Joey Gathright, who is hitting .370 but has an option left.

Forget Eduardo Perez, forget Reggie Sanders, and go get Emil Brown. Brown is 32-years old, but still is five years younger than Perez and seven years younger than Sanders. He also has a .848 OPS vs. left-handed pitching the last two seasons, which is better than both Perez and Sanders. Burres needs to be on a flight to Kansas City as soon as possible...

Archived