Orioles interested in Justin Upton, others

jamesenoch

If you try to build a team around every guy outperforming their contract then you are not likely to have a very good team. Markakis has a .400 OBP while playing pretty sound defense and being an important part of the teams chemistry. I am with you on the fact that it was justifiable to let him walk if you thought that Snider/De Aza could provide adequate or exceeding production. I actually liked the Orioles approach there. But letting Cruz walk hurt as he was a legit middle of the order guy. Even I he gave you two good years, an adequate year and a down year he would be worth his contract.

Since when is a .372 OBP a .400 OBP? That's like saying Chris Davis is hitting .270 when he's not even above .240. Markakis is a barely league average hitter, that provides negative value on the base paths, with poor defensive metrics as well. He's hitting even worse than he did last season, while also playing worse defense. He's 159th out of 161 qualified hitters in ISO. His BABIP is even well above his career mark, so he's gotten very lucky this season, and still is even worse than he was last year. He's definitely not worth the contract that he got.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Padres' GM traded Upton for Gonzalez, Lough and Wright, he would be fired immediately.

Would depend on the other offers on the table.

I certainly think Gonzalez, Lough and Wright have value exceeding that of a supplemental draft pick.

You know teams don't get draft picks when 2 month rentals hit free agency right?

Would depend on the other offers on the table.

I certainly think Gonzalez, Lough and Wright have value exceeding that of a supplemental draft pick.

You know teams don't get draft picks when 2 month rentals hit free agency right?

Of course they have more value. It's just a matter of how stupidly high the bidding gets this year. Last year it made it up to EdRod.

If the Padres' GM traded Upton for Gonzalez, Lough and Wright, he would be fired immediately.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In 19 games since June 26, Henry Urrutia has hit .341 (29-85) with six doubles, seven RBI and 10 multi-hit games <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Tides Notes (@TidesNotes) <a href="

">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is a school of thought that says after gutting his team to win now, he should be.

The way I view it are the players offered and the salary relief more valuable then the QO? Obviously Upton is of little value to the 2015 Padres, in fact he could be viewed as a detriment to future growth.

Once you determine the offer is better then the value Upton currently has to the Padres then you have to compare that offer to the other offers.

This seems correct to me. I'm not a big fan of the "stack up projected WAR" approach to determining value on each side of a deadline trade. All that really matters is what are the best offers on the table (when talking about a QO candidate). That's the player's value.

This seems correct to me. I'm not a big fan of the "stack up projected WAR" approach to determining value on each side of a deadline trade. All that really matters is what are the best offers on the table (when talking about a QO candidate). That's the player's value.

So you are not about multipliers? I heard that some of the advanced analytic driven team are using that type of projection. Obviously some of that projectable value needs to be concentrated in a singe player. But Andy MacPhail always swore they key was in getting that fourth or fifth piece to diversify the risk.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In 19 games since June 26, Henry Urrutia has hit .341 (29-85) with six doubles, seven RBI and 10 multi-hit games <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Tides Notes (@TidesNotes) <a href="
">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is a school of thought that says after gutting his team to win now, he should be.

But it's a silly school of thought full of the unenlightened and biased. ;)

This school often feels most (if not all) GMs not named Duquette should be fired for one reason or another. :) Especially if said GM was at any point considered a hot commodity :eek:

I can also see that not cluttering a 40 man roster would be a take back goal for some clubs.

So you are not about multipliers? I heard that some of the advanced analytic driven team are using that type of projection. Obviously some of that projectable value needs to be concentrated in a singe player. But Andy MacPhail always swore they key was in getting that fourth or fifth piece to diversify the risk.

Well, now you're broadening the discussion to trade-in general, and not solely deadline trades.

Archived