Duquette: "We will have more than enough offense"

Sports Guy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think Knott is a better defensive LF than Jay Gibbons? What are you basing your answer on?

I think Gibbons, in the LF at OPACY will be very bad.

Scouting reports have said Knott is average/serviceable/good enough for LF.

Not a ringing endorsement but he seesm to be more fluid and fasdter than Gibbons.

Do you think Knott is a better defensive LF than Jay Gibbons? What are you basing your answer on?
My gut reaction is yes, but I don't know that for a fact. I've never seen Knott play defense, and I don't know how much Gibbons' knee injury has affected his range.

The fact is, we haven't seen enough of Knott to know. I find it very tough to second-guess Perlozzo's judgment, for this reason. Plainly Perlozzo wants to get off to a strong start with respect to pitching and defense. Eventually, though, we will need a guy who mashes LHP whether he can field or not.

The fact is, we haven't seen enough of Knott to know. I find it very tough to second-guess Perlozzo's judgment, for this reason. Plainly Perlozzo wants to get off to a strong start with respect to pitching and defense. Eventually, though, we will need a guy who mashes LHP whether he can field or not.

Frobby, that sounds too much like just a pinch hitter which I'm sure you don't mean, and we can't afford as our bench is currently set up. The real question is whether Knott/DuBois will mash lefties if they only get sporadic ABs.

Frobby, that sounds too much like just a pinch hitter which I'm sure you don't mean, and we can't afford as our bench is currently set up. The real question is whether Knott/DuBois will mash lefties if they only get sporadic ABs.

OK then, if we can't afford one, I guess we will have to watch Corey Patterson and Roberts flail away against BJ Ryan in a one run game in the ninth.

OK then, if we can't afford one, I guess we will have to watch Corey Patterson and Roberts flail away against BJ Ryan in a one run game in the ninth.

Nobody wants that and regardless if you favor Knott or Bynum, neither one is the answer. We needed a better solution for LF that can hit and play the field so Payton can be the 4th OF. We didn't get it and now we spend our time sniping each other over who is the better of 2 unacceptable solutions.

Nobody wants that and regardless if you favor Knott or Bynum, neither one is the answer. We needed a better solution for LF that can hit and play the field so Payton can be the 4th OF. We didn't get it and now we spend our time sniping each other over who is the better of 2 unacceptable solutions.

Why is Knott an unacceptable solution to hit against LHP?

Why is Knott an unacceptable solution to hit against LHP?

Because we don't know if Knott will hit against lefties if all he gets is sporadic playing time followed by splinters on the bench. That is the unknown. I have no doubt that he would hit if he played regularly, I just can't see Sam playing him enough to stay sharp or it would have happened in ST.

Because we don't know if Knott will hit against lefties if all he gets is sporadic playing time followed by splinters on the bench. That is the unknown. I have no doubt that he would hit if he played regularly, I just can't see Sam playing him enough to stay sharp or it would have happened in ST.

OK, I agree, we don't know anything with absolute 100% certainty. But who has a better chance of hitting LHP, Knott or Bynum?

Stop acting like we have Conine in CF and Berroa and Bonilla on the corners. You are greatly exaggerating how poor that OF would be.

I don't think he's exaggerating. For starters, you're making the assumption that Knott is a replacement level defensive outfielder. There's no guarantee of that.

With Knott, Kakes, and Gibbons in LF, CF, and RF, we have a player who is (at best) replacement level, a CF who's out of position and is probably slightly below average in CF, and a below average RF.

God forbid if we ever play that outfield, I hope you guys have fun watching opposing teams hit 4 triples a game.

Edit: I'd like to add that Bynum's presence on the 25-man isn't the problem. The problem is the presence of Burres over Knott.

Because we don't know if Knott will hit against lefties if all he gets is sporadic playing time followed by splinters on the bench. That is the unknown. I have no doubt that he would hit if he played regularly' date=' I just can't see Sam playing him enough to stay sharp or it would have happened in ST.[/quote']

Why are we being so risk averse? We don't know if Knott will hit his weight against lefties, but we're damned sure Freddie Bynum won't.

Archived