O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

I'm still waiting for the Orioles' beat writers to throw water on the fire. The fact that it hasn't happened yet makes me feel like this could actually happen.

Was thinking the same thing. Roch to shoot the whole thing down in 10, 9, 8.....

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, Seattle should be a winning team. It baffles me to no end that they can't put it all together.

My vibe just based on twitter stuff over past year and his relationship with guys here is that Cruz loved baltimore. Can't fault a guy for taking long term deal and can't fault duquette for not offering.

If Bundy, Harvey and Kline were not all hurt folks might be more reasonable.

That's a good point. And why established players are more valuable than prospects. No matter how much potential they have, you just don't know how they're going to pan out, whether it be due to injury or just not realizing that potential. One of my best friends was a big prospect for the Pirates back in the 80s (34th overall pick and was Dave Johnson's teammate in the Pirates' system). He made it to the Majors in '86. Locked horns in a pitcher's duel with another rookie named Maddux (what ever happen to that guy?) in one of his September starts. Then he hurt his arm, struggled through two or three years of trying to get healthy and it ruined his career. And for every player who makes it big, guys like that are a dime a dozen. In fact, the Pirates' first pick that year (No. 12 overall) never made it past Class A ball. So it's all so volatile. That's why I tend to view established players with more value.

Besides, to my way of thinking, anyone is available for the right price.

That's a good point. And why established players are more valuable than prospects. No matter how much potential they have, you just don't know how they're going to pan out

Prospects don't have to pan out to still have a TON of value. Teams aren't filled with players who reached their ceiling, they are filled with a bunch of players who never got close to their ceiling. But they still give you more payroll flexibility than a team filled with established players.

Archived