O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

I think people over value prospect on here and if you look now to trade for a top piece at the deadline you have to give up something. Upton and Ross were both All-stars last season. Uptons' trade value is equal to Gausman and the pcik most likely. So you are trading Wright and Sisco for a starter who mad eht all star team just last year and still two and half years of control. I am not saying it is a good deal or not but that is the market you would have to pay to get that talent in return.

Gyorko is a negative WAR player. So we're going to eat more than 33 million dollars by taking him. Just take the money, and set it on fire. Do you have us getting back 33 million+ in this deal? If so, how much more?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still would not make that deal Upton is way to streaky for my liking. If you pick him up he may carry you deep inot the playoffs but also may hit .170 with a strikedout per game. He has been god awufl lately so is he going to continue or go red hot.

Gryko will make 22 million the last two years of his contract. San Diego back loaded the crap out of their contracts and know are tryjing to get rid of them.

I have no interest in the deal suggested by bpilktree, as we would be giving up way too much, and we have no use for Gyorko. The fact that Upton is streaky, however, is a good thing when looking for a rental to help us make the playoffs this year, not a bad thing. We are behind the 8 ball and have to go on a streak if we hope to make the playoffs. Slow and steady is unlikely to do it. If we do trade for a rental, get a guy with a track record saying that he might get blazing hot and carry us for awhile. If he is cold, so what... we weren't likely to make the playoffs anyway.

Forget about Gyorko, and leave Wright and Sisco out of it. San Diego is looking to get bailed out a bit on Upton's salary, among others. There may be a good deal to be found with the Padres, but we shouldn't overpay them. They are in a more desperate situation than we are, believe or not, IMO. We need to remeber, with the fact that Upton is merely a rental and carries no future value, Gausman is the most valuable property being discussed here, and the trade needs to be fashioned accordingly. There should be zero consideration given to some pipe-dream that Upton will be likely to sign an extension with whatever team he is on prior to hitting free agency at season's end.

Yep. It's why I haven't been able to watch them lately. Don't get any pleasure out of watching them while rooting for them to lose' date=' but that's where I've been over the last week and a half or so.[/quote']

Ugh, this might be the most obnoxious, egocentric thing I've read in a long time. Can't watch them, or root for them to lose, because the guy in charge doesn't see things your way.

Forest for the trees.

Man, I wouldn't mind having both Ross and Cashner. They have some issues, but I like them both.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">GM:"Right now, Padres are only trading rentals(Upton, Kennedy)"</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="

">July 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think DDs tack record suggest something is gong to happen. I like Upton but don't even have an interest if we cant resign him. The chances of making the playoffs are still not good IMO. We have too many holes!

I am okay with dealing KG ...but the value has to be coming back. If you cant get Upton as a salary dump then Touche....Nothing Ive read here makes me want to pull the trigger. Im not overvaluing KG ...Just worried about all the injuries to our top pitching prospects.

I think DDs tack record suggest something is gong to happen. I like Upton but don't even have an interest if we cant resign him. The chances of making the playoffs are still not good IMO. We have too many holes!

I am okay with dealing KG ...but the value has to be coming back. If you cant get Upton as a salary dump then Touche....Nothing Ive read here makes me want to pull the trigger. Im not overvaluing KG ...Just worried about all the injuries to our top pitching prospects.

Why would Upton be a salary dump? He's production is great for what he is getting paid, and he's off the books after this season with a QO. I'm not sure how much he has left on his contract for this year, but I doubt SD is going to do anything with that money anyway.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">GM:"Right now, Padres are only trading rentals(Upton, Kennedy)"</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="
">July 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They would trade Shields.

I don't care what Peter's intern says.

Why would Upton be a salary dump? He's production is great for what he is getting paid' date=' and he's off the books after this season with a QO. I'm not sure how much he has left on his contract for this year, but I doubt SD is going to do anything with that money anyway.[/quote']

In that the GM in San Diego totally blew this season - spent money he did not have - hoping to build a team that would bring in revenues to pay for the splash, and need to desperately recoup a bit of what he already wasted. Getting a return is secondary. Recouping some of the money HAS to be primary.

Archived