O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

I'd like for the team to keep winning.

MLB has the O's at ~14% to make the playoffs, Fangraphs has them at ~19% (yah run differential!).

I don't want to give up anything of real value to bump those numbers to 17 and 22.

25% is a reasonable chance at this point. So it is pretty close. The chance of a playoff berth in 2016 is about the same. And for 2017 as well. And 2018. so, it really does not matter when you make your move. Actually, being a bit closer to the finish line has an advantage in that it means your chances have not regressed to 5% So it's not great. But it is still meaningful.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it possible that he was just one of those total, Steve Pearce, Luke Scott, Mark Reynolds, Joe Charboneau, Elvis Andress, flukes?

Not with the numbers he put up n the minors in 2011 and 2012 then in 2013 at San Diego He had huge minor league numbers in those years in homers average and obp basically three years in a row with two in minors then his rookie year.

They want out of Gryko's contract so bad that adding him takes away a huge prospect you have to give up.

Ross

Upton

Gryko

Gausman

Wright

Sisco

comp pick

That's too much if we're taking on Gyorko, IMO.
So if not for Gryko we would have to give up even MORE??? Because that package right there already seems like a ton.

I'd do it but they'd have to give up Cashner too. Giving up Gausman stinks but getting

Upton .5 yrs of control

Cashner 1.5 yrs of control

Ross 2.5 years of control

Gyorko

So then we'd be trading 5 years of Gausman value for 4 years of Ross/Cashner Value. Then it's basically like we're giving up Wright, Sisco, comp pick for a rental of Upton and a bad contract. But I think there could be some value there with Gyorko as half a platoon option at 1st base. Maybe with Parades.

25% is a reasonable chance at this point. So it is pretty close. The chance of a playoff berth in 2016 is about the same. And for 2017 as well. And 2018. so, it really does not matter when you make your move. Actually, being a bit closer to the finish line has an advantage in that it means your chances have not regressed to 5% So it's not great. But it is still meaningful.

But I don't need a playoff berth for me to enjoy a season. I was happy enough with 2013. A fun team to watch that is competitive into the fall.

But I really don't like losing 90+ games a season. Which I perceive as being more likely if they trade something of value for a rental.

I dislike losing more then I like winning.

But I don't need a playoff berth for me to enjoy a season. I was happy enough with 2013. A fun team to watch that is competitive into the fall.

But I really don't like losing 90+ games a season. Which I perceive as being more likely if they trade something of value for a rental.

I choose to ignore the possibility of being a loser. We are done with that. The bad people are gone.

I don't know why everyone is so protective of Gausman. He's far from being the finished article. He has potential, but so far hasn't quite lived up to it. He's not striking guys out quite like everyone expected (7.9 per 9 this year, 7 per 9 last year) and is still working on the breaking ball. Tyson Ross (9.7 per 9 this year, 9 per 9 last year) is more the finished article. Don't get me wrong. I love Kevin. But I can't understand why people think he's untouchable. Truth be known, Dan probably should have dealt Gausman and Bundy for some big time Major League talent when he had the chance.

I don't know why everyone is so protective of Gausman. He's far from being the finished article. He has potential, but so far hasn't quite lived up to it. He's not striking guys out quite like everyone expected (7.9 per 9 this year, 7 per 9 last year) and is still working on the breaking ball. Tyson Ross (9.7 per 9 this year, 9 per 9 last year) is more the finished article. Don't get me wrong. I love Kevin. But I can't understand why people think he's untouchable. Truth be known, Dan probably should have dealt Gausman and Bundy for some big time Major League talent when he had the chance.

If Bundy, Harvey and Kline were not all hurt folks might be more reasonable.

I agree. I want to watch as meaningful games as possible every season. We're almost 4 months in and we're still (barely) enjoying just that.

Archived