Orioles Better Make Davis an Offer!

Old#5fan

Walking into 2016 with Parmelee, Walker, Mancini, Snyder, Garrett Jones or Mike Napoli at 1B is not a good idea. I don't know who else you have in mind.

If they are dumb enough to try to replace CD with Parmalee next season I will boycott the team!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Next year's FA class of 1Bmen is awful.

The O's have zilch in the way of impact position players. If (when?) they lose Davis, they're in a lot of trouble production wise. This club can ill afford to go into next season with Wieters, Davis both gone and then question marks at LF, RF AND DH.

I fully expect Wieters to walk and the O's to platoon Joseph and Clevenger. The FA class for catchers is actually just as bad as it is for 1st basemen.

But as this club has shown this year, you can't get away with so many platoons especially when you're banking on revivals/career years.

So many question marks going into next year:

- Is Paredes for real? If not, does he get a spot as part of a DH platoon?

- With Wieters gone...do the O's opt for Joseph and Clevenger?

- With Davis most likely gone...what do they do? I don't think Walker is the answer. Do they bank on resigning Pearce as a low cost option?

- With Parra gone and Snider underperforming...what do they do about RF?

- What do they do about LF?

That's A LOT of holes. I think they can afford to sign Heyward. He's young, solid defender and he can hit. You'd shore up your outfield and then you can deal with augmenting the 3rd spot with a Parra/Reimold/Snider type. Heyward is going to cost at least $15m-$20m per.

Players off the books next year:

De Aza: $5m

Hunter: $4.7m

Matusz: $3.2m

Davis: $12m

Wieters: $8.3m

Norris: $8.8m

Chen: $4.8m

O'Day: $4.3m

That's over $50m off the books. Yes, others will get raises. But this club should be able to increase payroll. With them increasing payroll and having ~$50m off the books...I'd like to see them do the following:

Sign Heyward (estimate: $17m per year - 6-8 year deal) for RF

Sign Parra (estimate: $9m per year - 3 year deal) for LF

That eats up half.

The rest needs to be spent on a starter. With Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman and Gonzalez in the rotation for next year...the O's need a starter. They might as well resign Chen. Gotta imagine Chen will get something like $10-12m/year for 4-5 years.

At that point, the O's also need to make it a priority to extend Manny. No ifs, ands, or buts. He's a free agent in 2019. So 3 years left on the contract. Feel you have to extend him. He's so young. Extend an extra 5-7 years. Don't have to give him backloaded Trout money. But you're going to end up paying him $20m-$25m/year at the backend of Machado's contract. Get it done ASAP.

With the above, the O's have the above situated:

Jones in CF through 2018

Heyward in RF through 2021

Parra in LF through 2018

Hardy at SS through 2017

Schoop at 2B through 2019

Machado at 3B through 2024

Joseph/Clevenger at C (and can be improved for the 2017/2018 year with Cisco on the horizon) through 2020

That leaves 1B and DH open. Think you can fill that internally or through stopgaps like Pearce, Paredes, etc. You can afford to take changes on 2 spots.

Gonzo, Tillman, Jimenez aren't FA's until 2018.

This club can take care of the bullpen through internal options.

So, it doesn't look like there's money for Davis until Angelos opens the pocketbook and increase payroll another $20m/year. And that's severely doubtful.

Even if Pearce reverted to his better hitting 2014 self and that is a big if, he is too injury prone. Davis is also durable. Show him the money and stop being cheap Mr Angelos!

Matusz was on 105.7 the other day ...Thursday I believe and he said he's here for one more year...He referred to the super two thing and a 4th year of arb. I'm certain he knows his status.

He's arb eligible. The O's aren't going to pay him the near $4m he'll get.

I could be wrong but would guess that the three most fan popular players on the Orioles are Jones Manny and Davis. It would seem to be very bad for the fan base let any of these big three franchise type players go!

I could be wrong but would guess that the three most fan popular players on the Orioles are Jones Manny and Davis. It would seem to be very bad for the fan base let any of these big three franchise type players go!

Everyone is still crushed Markakis walked away.

And Johnson got traded.

I would take Harper as a dh over manny or Trout he can flat out rake and bats LH. Reminds me of smaller Ted Williams. As an overall player I would take Manny over either of them .

You saw Ted Williams play?? How old are you?

You better check your memory either way. Harper's bigger than Williams.

Everyone is still crushed Markakis walked away.

And Johnson got traded.

Neither had nearly the fan appeal of Davis though. He hits monster shot dingers that are fun to watch and is good defensively for a big guy in RF or 1b.

You saw Ted Williams play?? How old are you?

You better check your memory either way. Harper's bigger than Williams.

I am 60 and did not see Wiluams play (did see Mantle once) but saw plenty of highighlights (film) of him especially when I was younger. Regardless though you are wrong Williams was 6'3 and Haroer is supposedly 6'2 but doesn't look it.

Archived