Orioles Better Make Davis an Offer!

Old#5fan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Righties that can start their breaking pitch in the middle of the plate and have it break inside own Davis. With lefties the ball is breaking away from him so it doesn't hit that massive hole in his swing. I like Davis, but this is the book on him. If he could fix that, and start hitting homers to left center again, he could put up his 2013 numbers again. It's looking like he's around a 20 million dollar a year player. That's too much for our small market ownership. Maybe if a dime of the TV revenue got put into the on the field product budget.

Next year's FA class of 1Bmen is awful.

The O's have zilch in the way of impact position players. If (when?) they lose Davis, they're in a lot of trouble production wise. This club can ill afford to go into next season with Wieters, Davis both gone and then question marks at LF, RF AND DH.

I fully expect Wieters to walk and the O's to platoon Joseph and Clevenger. The FA class for catchers is actually just as bad as it is for 1st basemen.

But as this club has shown this year, you can't get away with so many platoons especially when you're banking on revivals/career years.

So many question marks going into next year:

- Is Paredes for real? If not, does he get a spot as part of a DH platoon?

- With Wieters gone...do the O's opt for Joseph and Clevenger?

- With Davis most likely gone...what do they do? I don't think Walker is the answer. Do they bank on resigning Pearce as a low cost option?

- With Parra gone and Snider underperforming...what do they do about RF?

- What do they do about LF?

That's A LOT of holes. I think they can afford to sign Heyward. He's young, solid defender and he can hit. You'd shore up your outfield and then you can deal with augmenting the 3rd spot with a Parra/Reimold/Snider type. Heyward is going to cost at least $15m-$20m per.

Players off the books next year:

De Aza: $5m

Hunter: $4.7m

Matusz: $3.2m

Davis: $12m

Wieters: $8.3m

Norris: $8.8m

Chen: $4.8m

O'Day: $4.3m

That's over $50m off the books. Yes, others will get raises. But this club should be able to increase payroll. With them increasing payroll and having ~$50m off the books...I'd like to see them do the following:

Sign Heyward (estimate: $17m per year - 6-8 year deal) for RF

Sign Parra (estimate: $9m per year - 3 year deal) for LF

That eats up half.

The rest needs to be spent on a starter. With Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman and Gonzalez in the rotation for next year...the O's need a starter. They might as well resign Chen. Gotta imagine Chen will get something like $10-12m/year for 4-5 years.

At that point, the O's also need to make it a priority to extend Manny. No ifs, ands, or buts. He's a free agent in 2019. So 3 years left on the contract. Feel you have to extend him. He's so young. Extend an extra 5-7 years. Don't have to give him backloaded Trout money. But you're going to end up paying him $20m-$25m/year at the backend of Machado's contract. Get it done ASAP.

With the above, the O's have the above situated:

Jones in CF through 2018

Heyward in RF through 2021

Parra in LF through 2018

Hardy at SS through 2017

Schoop at 2B through 2019

Machado at 3B through 2024

Joseph/Clevenger at C (and can be improved for the 2017/2018 year with Cisco on the horizon) through 2020

That leaves 1B and DH open. Think you can fill that internally or through stopgaps like Pearce, Paredes, etc. You can afford to take changes on 2 spots.

Gonzo, Tillman, Jimenez aren't FA's until 2018.

This club can take care of the bullpen through internal options.

So, it doesn't look like there's money for Davis until Angelos opens the pocketbook and increase payroll another $20m/year. And that's severely doubtful.

Matusz was on 105.7 the other day ...Thursday I believe and he said he's here for one more year...He referred to the super two thing and a 4th year of arb. I'm certain he knows his status.

Matusz was on 105.7 the other day ...Thursday I believe and he said he's here for one more year...He referred to the super two thing and a 4th year of arb. I'm certain he knows his status.

Glad he is thinking positively, but he's the kind of a player that could get non-tendered as an Arb4. Duquette might have interest in resigning after a non-tender at a price lower than what he would get through the Arb system.

Glad he is thinking positively, but he's the kind of a player that could get non-tendered as an Arb4. Duquette might have interest in resigning after a non-tender at a price lower than what he would get through the Arb system.

Can NOT pay him 5, 6, 7 million next year! I don't hate him as much as most people here do, but he's not worth near that much!

Chris will be 30 next year. 6/120M will be the starting point for him if he stays healthy and productive the rest of the year. Boras will make sure he goes through the FA process. No chance to sign him before he is a FA. Highly unlikely he returns.

Think Mancini, Walker, maybe Paredes at first. Pearce will go FA and be offered 2M/yr to return. He may take it.

You are assuming we say sign Heyward which is far from a safe assumption. There could be money for Davis.

I think there is a better chance we resign Davis than land a Heyward or Upton however I would prefer either to Davis.

They could surprise everyone and use that money on a front line starter.

If Parra plays well enough down the stretch, I would really push to bring back Crush and Parra, that only leaves holes at one of the corner outfield spots and at catcher. I think we can live without Chen. O'Day? Who knows, we might miss him or we may not. I really do think we have something with Wright and Givens in the Pen. In terms of starters (because we're surely losing Chen) Tilly, Gausman, Gonzalez, Ubaldo and one of the young guys might work, or we go sign someone cheaper.

To sum it up: bring back Crush and TBD on Parra.

I really wish money wouldn't be the 99% determining factor because I believe all of our pending free agents really love being on this team, despite the ups and downs this year they know everyone is giving their all and Buck will find a way to get wins and be competitive. You can ask for much more

Unpopular opinion alert: Don't want Chris at all.

I feel like we're all forgetting that without Adderall he was very very bad. I'd like to avoid players who rely on medication to succeed, because you never know when either the rules change or he is not granted his therapeutic use exemption, as was the case last year.

There are much better and safer ways to spend some of the money we'll have floating around the warehouse in 2016.

I feel like we're all forgetting that without Adderall he was very very bad. I'd like to avoid players who rely on medication to succeed, because you never know when either the rules change or he is not granted his therapeutic use exemption, as was the case last year.

There are much better and safer ways to spend some of the money we'll have floating around the warehouse in 2016.

Roughly eight percent of MLB players have a TUE, are you willing to remove a hundred or so players from the pool the O's draw from?

You are assuming we say sign Heyward which is far from a safe assumption. There could be money for Davis.

I think there is a better chance we resign Davis than land a Heyward or Upton however I would prefer either to Davis.

They could surprise everyone and use that money on a front line starter.

I'm not assuming anything about Heyward or Davis. I think there is next to no chance Davis gets a contract that will keep him here. I don't know Heyward but if he's anything special the Os won't be anywhere near the top bidder for him either.

Roughly eight percent of MLB players have a TUE, are you willing to remove a hundred or so players from the pool the O's draw from?

You should include a source if you're going to make such a strong rhetorical statement.

For example, Forbes says that 122 players in 2013 had TUE's, and 119 of those were for ADHD medications (roughly 14% of MLB players).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2013/11/30/from-add-to-hypogonadism-how-119-mlb-players-were-allowed-to-use-banned-substances/

I would take them on a case-by-case basis, personally. In Davis's case, he demonstrated specifically that he isn't a MLB-player without his TUE (sub .200 BA, really?).

You should include a source if you're going to make such a strong rhetorical statement.

For example, Forbes says that 122 players in 2013 had TUE's, and 119 of those were for ADHD medications (roughly 14% of MLB players).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2013/11/30/from-add-to-hypogonadism-how-119-mlb-players-were-allowed-to-use-banned-substances/

I would take them on a case-by-case basis, personally. In Davis's case, he demonstrated specifically that he isn't a MLB-player without his TUE (sub .200 BA, really?).

Thanks for the tip on how to post! :thumbsup1:

I'm going mobile at the moment but good of you not to take me at my word and look up a source that has even higher numbers then the one I found.

So you will disallow Davis but since you can not possibility have information on the other 100 players they will have to get the benefit of the doubt?

I don't think this is about the TUE.

Uninformed opinion alert: Chris Davis struggled in TEX when he had a TUE and hit 53 HR when he didn't. So Adderall had nothing to do with his performance.

Archived