James Loney Would Welcome A Trade

JayGibbons31

I only brought up the ST stats because you did. I still don't understand what you meant by saying he's at his peak right now.

He's pitched fantastically since coming back from the injury. Obviously the result from ST don't mean a whole lot, but the lack of walks is important. He hasn't walked anybody over 2.2 IP so far and has had 4 K's. He's going to need to get 20 or so IP under his belt before we have a real good idea for what level he's at right now, but you really have to be very encouraged by what we've seen from Parrish so far. The only thing that's ever held him back from being a great reliever is his control. It looks like he may be harnessing his stuff. If he does, his "ceiling" becomes one of the better LH relievers in the game.

I'd also love it if I never see him do that stupid snap pickoff throw to 1B.

He's pitched "fantastically" for his standards. Like you said he needs to put together at least 20 IP to gauge if he is completely back. As for me saying his ceiling or peak is right now, maybe I'm being a little too quick in judgement but I've never viewed him that highly... and based on how his stuff looks right now and his delivery, this is as good as its going to get with him. When has he looked better than this? For that matter, I just don't see that translating into a set up role especially when he hasn't proven that he can pitch back-to-back days in the past. If the O's have to rely on Parrish to be a setup guy then we are in serious trouble

This discussion has gone on too long. Let's find a way to get Loney dammit!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the assessment that Ryan's slider is better than Parrish's slider is completely wrong. Ryan's slider has a slightly bigger break but it also breaks earlier and not as sharply. Parrish's slider is simply nasty. He routinely gets guys to swing at pitches that hit the ground because they think it is a fastball. The pitch release looks identical to his fastball, the pitch breaks very late, and the spin is too tight to pick up.

On the other hand Ryan's fastball is much tougher to pick up than Parrish's fastball though they both have good movement and relatively the same speed.

Parrish also has a pretty decent change up. Ryan almost never throws a change.

Parrish doesn't have quite the up side of Ryan, but he does have pretty darn nasty stuff. I would rate his slider more like 70-75ish on the 20:80 scale. Williamson's slider can also be that good when he is healthy.

70-75 is extremely good, I wouldn't give Parrish that much credit. And I think Ryan has the better slider

BTW, I wouldn't put Olson and Liz in the same category of trade bait after seeing them in Spring Training. Olson is definitely going to make the majors and pitch here for years barring injury. Liz could be a very good pitcher, but he is much more raw.

I would rate Olson in the following fashion:

#1 starter 5%

#2 starter 35%

#3 starter 40%

#4 - 5 starter 15%

LOOGY 5%

I would rate Liz in the following fashion:

#1 starter 10%

#2 starter 15%

#3 starter 20%

#4 - 5 starter 20%

Closer/set up 25%

doesn't make it for more than a cup of coffee 10%

I was mighty impressed with Olson in ST. He wasn't comfortable and he still got guys out.

So you think there's a 75% he becomes a #2 or 3 starter? That's pretty damn high, and I bet a lot higher than most scouts have him. I mean, he isn't even a top 100 prospect. It's also pretty comforting. I'd be interested in what makes you think so highly of him.

BTW, if you were to do the same percentages with Penn how would you handicap him? It would be interesting to see how you feel about him in comparison w Olsen, as he (Penn) is pretty universally regarded as the superior prospect.

First thing's first... You have to realize that we're not trading Tejada. If it didn't happen last year it won't happen this year.

If we can't come up with something that doesn't involve him then it's pointless...

Angelos is not letting his cash cow go.

First thing's first... You have to realize that we're not trading Tejada. If it didn't happen last year it won't happen this year.

If we can't come up with something that doesn't involve him then it's pointless...

Angelos is not letting his cash cow go.

I agree, and with Tejada stating he wants to finish his career in Baltimore, I doubt he ever gets traded as long as he is productive. I think Cal took him aside behind the scenes and had a conversation with him about his legacy and how he could be the next hero / name brand player by being the most popular player in Baltimore as opposed to just another somebody on a team of superheros. We'll see if that continues... especially through more losing seasons.

I would trade Bedard straight up for James Loney. In five years Loney will very likely be an all-star and Erik will very likely be out of the game.

That's a pretty bold assessment, considering Loney's got question marks in the form of power and walk rate. I like Loney a lot but come on. Bedard "will very likely be out of the game"? What have you got to base that on?

I would trade Bedard straight up for James Loney. In five years Loney will very likely be an all-star and Erik will very likely be out of the game.

Wow....There is absolutely nothing to back this up.

It is alot more likely that Bedard is, at worse, a #3 starter and that Loney is Mark Grace with a little more power and less BA than your scenario.

BTW, there isn't one GM, in all of baseball, who trades Bedard for Loney.

I am in no means trying to advocate trading Tejada at this point, but what if we were offered:

James Loney

Andy LaRoche

Yhency Brazoban

for

Miguel Tejada

Scott Williamson

Would people do that?

I'd do it for sure. Since I think that is a better offer than the Angels gave us. Loney is immediately our 1bman and LaRoche is almost MLB ready too, and a natural replacement for Mora. Brazoban is a good young reliever as well.

However, I don't think the Dodgers would do it. LaRoche is a top 20 prospect and Loney is one of the better young 1bman.

Plus they have Furcal at SS, so they'd have to convince Tejada to move to 3B.

I wouldn't want to trade any huge pieces(any of the big 3) for Loney, although he is a great prospect. Power's too much of a question mark. It'd be great to have a good, young 1B, but with that I expect some major power potential. BA has his best case as being a John Olerud type, which isn't enough power to justify giving up major pitching.

I wouldn't want to trade any huge pieces(any of the big 3) for Loney, although he is a great prospect. Power's too much of a question mark. It'd be great to have a good, young 1B, but with that I expect some major power potential. BA has his best case as being a John Olerud type, which isn't enough power to justify giving up major pitching.

PECOTA has Justin Morneau, Adrian Gonzalez, Aramis Ramirez, Garrett Atkins, and Aubrey Huff among his comparables, but also guys like Kent Hrbek, Casey Kotchman, Chris Chambliss.

Hm, that's a bit interesting. Does anyone know the Las Vegas park factors? He only hit 8 homers but 33 doubles.

I dunno, I still wouldn't trade any of the big 3. We already have two major holes in the rotation and it'd be worse having 3.

It is alot more likely that Bedard is, at worse, a #3 starter and that Loney is Mark Grace with a little more power and less BA than your scenario.

SG, youre right on that one, there isn't one GM in all of baseball that would do that...but there might be two, Flanny and Duq ;)

But really, no way that happens.

I would get Loney, even if we are getting Texiera, Loney plays the OF and one of them can DH, never a problem to have two good players on the same team.

I agree with you on Loney.

He looks very short in the power department. I want a power hitting 1B not a contact hitter.

I would deal for him and give him a shot.

But, no chance I deal Bedard for him.

Too bad you can't take off the orange colored glasses when you look at Loewen. :D

Archived