James Loney Would Welcome A Trade

JayGibbons31

I'd pass on that. If we decide to trade Tejada, we're rebuilding, and wouldn't want/need Furcal in that case.
That trade alone wouldn't really mean a total rebuild. We could certainly go in that direction, but let's say Tejada goes to LA, we release Millar, and get Loney and Furcal. Wouldn't have to throw in the towel there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Furcal, Loney and a prospect for Tejada maybe?

Now there's a Tejada scenario I'd probably hop all over. Of course, a lot depends on who the prospect is. You'd probably want an arm, and a good one, but that package would entice me.

I am in no means trying to advocate trading Tejada at this point, but what if we were offered:

James Loney

Andy LaRoche

Yhency Brazoban

for

Miguel Tejada

Scott Williamson

Would people do that?

If you think we can get another prospect the caliber of Laroche, why not go for Scott Elbert, LHP. I wouldn't deal Williamson

That trade makes zero sense for LA. They're competing this year (don't need Liz) and Loney's only on the block because they have too many 1B/OF guys (don't need Gibbons).

You're right Gibbons wouldn't fit in their lineup. However if Loney is expendable and they decide to keep him in AAA then what exactly do they want or think they can get for him.

Takashi Saito. Who is awesome but also 37 years old.

Saito is now, but they have Broxton in waiting. But if it were possible I would trade Ray for Loney staightup or with them adding someone else in. Parrish has looked beastly and may be ready to step up.

I think this is pretty fair as well based on the Pirates/Braves trade earlier this year.

You're right Gibbons wouldn't fit in their lineup. However if Loney is expendable and they decide to keep him in AAA then what exactly do they want or think they can get for him.
Look how long Ryan Shealy stayed in COL. Just because he's in a roster crunch, doesn't mean they'll just give him away for our deadweight.

Saito is now, but they have Broxton in waiting. But if it were possible I would trade Ray for Loney staightup or with them adding someone else in. Parrish has looked beastly and may be ready to step up.

I think this is pretty fair as well based on the Pirates/Braves trade earlier this year.

There is no way Parrish can be a setup man...at least that's what I hope you were thinking

They have a closer in waiting with Jonathan Meloan

Broxton is probably an option for them also.

Honestly, looking at their depth chart, I don't think they need anything from us. They're a pretty complete team. You'd almost have to give them a pitcher but he would have to be top notch to displace one of the guys they have. They already have a bunch of Liz-type guys.

Easy solution:

Move Markakis to LF. Let Gibbons and Payton platoon in RF, with Payton playing some games in CF for Patterson. Trade for Loney, make Huff the DH, and let him start 5 games a month at 1st. Millar becomes a bench player strictly, with an occasional start at 1B/DH.

Position player roster after Payton/Hernandez come off the DL:

1B-Loney

2B-Roberts

SS-Tejada

3B-Mora

LF-Markakis

CF-Patterson

RF-Gibbons

C-Hernandez

DH-Huff

Bench:

OF-Payton

UT-Gomez

1B/DH-Millar

C- Bakostillo (whichever one of these guys sticks)

Look how long Ryan Shealy stayed in COL. Just because he's in a roster crunch, doesn't mean they'll just give him away for our deadweight.

I know, but you didn't answer my question. We don't know what they want...I imagine they would want a prospect and relief help in return. Then again I don't think LA will ever trade Loney so the point is moot

Archived