Has Buck lost control of the clubhouse (and his senses)?

webbrick2010

I was pretty happy in 2014. I think they would have won it all with Manny and CD on the playoff roster. But I think the morale and spirit of this team was crushed in the offseason by DD and his I wanta be in Toronto song and dance. They lost two key players and added absolutely nothing. I think a lot of us have been pretty negative ever since.

You say you were happy in 2014 but you never showed it. Basically only coming on the board to complain about Matusz and other things. The only time I have ever seen you make a positive post is talking about how excited you would be to lock Manny and Schoop up for 10 years.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the course of several 162 game seasons, we're going to see a lot of things, and sometimes it inevitably gets ugly. I think a lot of what we've seen is teams playing over their heads because of a great manager. But at some points, the talent level is going to be the most important factor, and now we're seeing that and have to face it. The O's are just not particularly good. They're not bad, but they are mediocre - and certainly not as talented as last year.

I don't blame Buck for this series disaster.

The PLAYERS were BADLY out played and for those that think we have more talent then the twins the record says otherwise and they own us on the field of play.

The results speak for themselves.

I agree with this, with the exception of Showalter's decision to play the infield in with a 1-run lead in the 8th inning of the Chen game.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, that was a bad decision. But other than that, the Orioles got outplayed, whether it be not getting enough from their offense and/or very untimely errors by their usually solid defense.

The Twins also out-hustled the Orioles (if that's even possible in baseball :noidea:) Their baserunners were extremely aggressive at key times, and pressed the issue for the Orioles' defense ...... and as far as I remember, they (the Twins' baserunners) won every time in the entire 4-game series.

I agree with this, with the exception of Showalter's decision to play the infield in with a 1-run lead in the 8th inning of the Chen game.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, that was a bad decision. But other than that, the Orioles got outplayed, whether it be not getting enough from the offense and/or very untimely errors but the usually solid defense.

The Twins also out-hustled the Orioles (if that's even possible in baseball :noidea:) Their baserunners were extremely aggressive at key times, and pressed the issue for the Orioles' defense ...... and as far as I remember, they (the Twins' baserunners) won every time in the entire 4-game series.

^^^^^^^Yep as much as I don't like it that's what happened. ^^^^^

It seemed to me that Buck was managing this series as "must win" and too often over-thought things. I can't blame him -- the team has been frustrating in its inconsistencies, and I get feeling like you need to *make things happen* when you can't depend on the same players coming out and performing each day.

I don't see any evidence he has lost the clubhouse. I think August is a tough time for any club, and especially when balls aren't bouncing your way and you're in a bit of a slump. Vatech was right when he said the schedule was the biggest opponent down the stretch -- not much in the way of an opportunity to catch your breath, so all you can do is try to power through and hope some guys really step up and carry the club.

I'd like to see Machado and Gausman lead the way.

No doubt the Orioles played badly this series. But there is no way that you can excuse Buck's decision to pinch hit for Flaherty, or his decision to pinch run for Hardy.

Buck is the last manager I would ever expect to put his team in a situation where Jimmy Paredes has to play third base.

Buck clearly didn't have a good series managing his team, but that certainly wasn't the root of the problem. Poor hitting, inopportune walks, and poor defense were the root of the problem and, of those things, Buck was only responsible for the Paredes' defensive gaffe due to his decisions. All the Schoop and Manny issues, the Britton brain fart, the DOD and Tillman walks, the endless poor hitting, and the amazing disparity in hard hit outs vs soft hits had nothing to do with Buck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Molitor almost over managed today.He left himself in the bullpen with almost no options. Basically he had to go to a hurt closer and a starter. The Twins made mistakes today also. Twice they threw home with no chance at the runner.Both times the runners on base advanced

The Orioles just did not break the game open.Pelfrey had nothing today. Watching him on the mound you could see he was frustrated. He kept shaking his head and stomping on the mound.Orioles could not deliver a knockout blow.

I saw some lack of hustle today.One player seems to care more about press clippings then winning. Almost no killer instinct.Seems like some players don't realize they are in a pennant race and not to make stats look good.

Funny thing is still have a chance but this week is it.Jones even said as much after the game.

Archived