Would Wieters actually Accept a QO?

FanSince88

Wieters/Boras have been waiting for this for six years. Never underestimate the money that is out there on the market. I don't think that there is a chance that he signs it.

He is what he is at this point, and his skills aren't going to improve over the next year. I'm sure that there is some concern over the injury which a team will use in negotiations, but it's not like he's a pitcher.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters/Boras have been waiting for this for six years. Never underestimate the money that is out there on the market. I don't think that there is a chance that he signs it.

He is what he is at this point, and his skills aren't going to improve over the next year. I'm sure that there is some concern over the injury which a team will use in negotiations, but it's not like he's a pitcher.

Very good points.

He is what he is. Questionably durability, throws more than pitchers do....

Remember Chris Hoiles and his 5 year BUST of a contract? :confused: QO him and get the draft choice if he leaves. Same w/Davis, Chen. :cool::cool:

The overspending, 5-7 year deals stops here. Except Manny. :)

IN BUCK I TRUST! :2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

He is what he is. Questionably durability, throws more than pitchers do....

Remember Chris Hoiles and his 5 year BUST of a contract? :confused: QO him and get the draft choice if he leaves. Same w/Davis, Chen. :cool::cool:

The overspending, 5-7 year deals stops here. Except Manny. :)

IN BUCK I TRUST! :2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

I agree.

Best case scenario imo - he signs the qualifying offer and then the Braves say - if you pay half, we'll trade him for SS prospect Ozzie Albies - a 17 year old SS who hit .310 in low A with 29 steals. It's the same type of deal the Braves did in trading their top prospect - Jose Peraza - to the Dodgers for a 30 year old Cuban 2nd basemen - with the Dodgers paying about half of his guaranteed money. I think Albies has a good chance to be better than Peraza.

The O's will not make a QO

They didn't make one to Markakis and he actually produces something

I'd be surprised if Wieters gets a multi year deal with anyone.

The O's replaced him with a couple guys making ML minimum.

The O's should non tender him and then offer him a 1 yr @ 6-8 million and see if anyone offers more. I don't think he has anything left.

The O's should non tender him and then offer him a 1 yr @ 6-8 million and see if anyone offers more. I don't think he has anything left.

In 2013 a 29 year old Markakis, coming off of injury, put up a .1 rWAR season.

in 2015 a 29 year old Wieters, coming off of injury, is putting up a 0 rWAR season.

And yet the one is "doesn't have anything left" and the other "actually produces something".

:scratchchinhmm:

Thank you for your reasoned insight. I completely disagree. We will see who is right. It's been me for most of the last four years if you are keeping count.

Best case scenario imo - he signs the qualifying offer and then the Braves say - if you pay half, we'll trade him for SS prospect Ozzie Albies - a 17 year old SS who hit .310 in low A with 29 steals. It's the same type of deal the Braves did in trading their top prospect - Jose Peraza - to the Dodgers for a 30 year old Cuban 2nd basemen - with the Dodgers paying about half of his guaranteed money. I think Albies has a good chance to be better than Peraza.

That is awfully best case scenario. But it isnt remotely close to the deal for Peraza. They got Olivera for 6 years and $30M. They would get Wieters for 1 year and $8M during a year they wont even compete.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Wieters will be a free agent and doesnt need to be nontendered.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

He would take a QO so fast it would make your head spin. No way can the O's extend a QO to Matt. No way. There is no team in MLB that will give him the long term deal he is looking for now. He would jump on a QO and hope to build his value back for a FA run after next year.

Archived