Filling the 2016 Needs: LF, RF, DH, 1B, SP

Bahama O's Fan

True Wieters is a bust of a draft choice, if he's not worth re-signing, he's a bust.

And please fans, be realistic, the Orioles will not sign a pitcher beyond the Jmenez contract. And no pitcher with 20 win capability will sign a 3 or 4 year contract unless they are 34 or older

I gotta nit pick this. Wieters is one of the best players from the entire 2007 draft. If you can get a three time All Star from any draft, he's one of the best players from that draft. Period. Problem with Wieters is, he's close to toast. Not everyone can have a 15 year career.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe Manny will not sign if he does not see enough other pieces.

If the O's offer him a real extension, not a hometown discount special type, commit serious money to him, and it is not enough to get him to sign after 4 years of competitive ball and 2 playoff appearances then he is good as gone. At that point you figure out how to maximize what you get back for him.

here's my 2 cents...retool, not completely rebuild.

Davis and Chen are gone (Boras)

Weiters just might accept the QO, if not he's gone

so...

try like HELL to extend Machado

Sign O'Day, Matusz and Pierce

Sign Jason Heyward to a long-term deal. RF for years to come. His best years are ahead of him. He is only 26. He's a lefty.

Sign Dexter Fowler for LF.. relatively cheap, decent on-base skills for lead-off, switch-hitter

Sign Justin Morneau to DH. possibly 1 year contract. He's a lefty with good On-base skills.

Sign Daniel Murphy to play 1B mostly.

Sign Jordan Zimmerman. We need an Ace. He would be our ace. takes the pressure off of Tilly.

I'd also take some flyers on some potentially cheaper SP's such as Fister, Beachy, Leake, Kazmir (be nice to have a lefty in the rotation).

1. Fowler

2. Machado

3. Jones

4. Morneau

5. Heyward

6. Murphy

7. Schoop

8. Joseph/Weiters/Clevenger

9. Hardy

Rotation:

Zimmerman

Tillman

Jiminez

Gausman

Fister/Kazmir/etc

bench: Pierce, Parades, Flaherty, Alvarez

Bullpen: Gonzo, Matusz, McFarland, O'Day, Brach, Britton, Givens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sign Iwakuma.

Sign Fowler.

Sign Joyce.

Sign Napoli.

LF Fowler

RF Pearce

3B Machado

CF Jones

DH Joyce

1B Napoli

2B Schoop

C Joseph

SS Hardy

Clevenger

Flaherty

Alvarez

?

Iwakuma

Gausman

Tillman

Ubaldo

Gonzo

McFarland

Drake

Roe

LH reliever

Brach

Givens

Britton

Probably have enough room to sign one more decent player. Maybe John Jaso? Napoli and Joyce will be cheap due to their poor seasons but are good bounce back candidates (and fit within the Orioles "budget"). Fowler gets on base and provides a true lead off hitter. Iwakuma is a TOR starter that most likely won't get paid like one on the market (once again, he will fit in the budget). Pearce is also a solid bounce back candidate. Plays pretty good defense. Runs pretty well. Even if he produces like he did in 2013 that's a near 3 win player over a full season.

so...

Sign Jason Heyward to a long-term deal. RF for years to come. His best years are ahead of him. He is only 26. He's a lefty.

Sign Dexter Fowler for LF.. relatively cheap, decent on-base skills for lead-off, switch-hitter

Sign Justin Morneau to DH. possibly 1 year contract. He's a lefty with good On-base skills.

Sign Jordan Zimmerman. We need an Ace. He would be our ace. takes the pressure off of Tilly.

I'd also take some flyers on some potentially cheaper SP's such as Fister, Beachy, Leake, Kazmir (be nice to have a lefty in the rotation).

1. Fowler

2. Machado

3. Jones

4. Morneau

5. Heyward

6. Murphy

7. Schoop

9. Hardy

Rotation:

Zimmerman

Tillman

Jiminez

Gausman

Fister/Kazmir/etc

Per the scenario described in the original post, we only have about $40M to play with. I like all the guys you have listed but it is not realistic to get all or even most. If Wieters accepts the QO that is nearly half your budget right there. O'Day and Pearce are probably $10M. Heyward is easily $20M. You might get those three plus a pitcher at this budget.

Kazmir is not a flyer. He is a top-of-the-rotation pitcher who does not cost a comp pick. I love Kazmir but he will cost more than $10M. Zimmerman will be even more than that.

Personally I would invest in starting pitching. That means O'Day has to go. Wieters has to be played very carefully so that he does not come back. We might even need to move Tillman or Gonzo to fill their spots pre-arb guys like Wright, Wilson, and Gunkel. That would give us enough budget to realistically sign Kazmir an a Ubaldo-type contract and a bat to replace some of Davis. I do like Murphy.

One reclamation project type guy I am interested in is Corey Luebke if SD turns down their $7.5M option.

All I know is that they better be lefties

1. Machado ®

2. LF

3. Jones ®

4. 1B

5. Schoop ®

6. DH

7. RF

8. Hardy ®

9. Joseph ®

All the guys actually committed next year bat right handed.

So true. That is the deciding factor in me wanting the Orioles to spend on keeping Davis. He breaks up the middle of the lineup. Without a trade I don't see anyone else doing that. Jason Heyward could bat 2nd or 6th, but I don't see him being a MOO-cow. Upton and Cespedes are right handed. If Alex Gordon opts out he could be another option.

So true. That is the deciding factor in me wanting the Orioles to spend on keeping Davis. He breaks up the middle of the lineup. Without a trade I don't see anyone else doing that. Jason Heyward could bat 2nd or 6th, but I don't see him being a MOO-cow. Upton and Cespedes are right handed. If Alex Gordon opts out he could be another option.

When you look at the 1B and OF free agents and only look at lefties, re-signing Davis and Parra seem to be almost the only option. The only other viable options are Heyward and Span.... unless you want to aim low and get David Murphy.

I suspect a trade.

If there's one thing we know about Buck's lineup construction, he wants a near even split. I don't think he'll tolerate breaking camp with a lineup of 7 righties and 2 lefties.

so...

1. Fowler

2. Machado

3. Jones

4. Morneau

5. Heyward

6. Murphy

7. Schoop

9. Hardy

Rotation:

Zimmerman

Tillman

Jiminez

Gausman

Fister/Kazmir/etc

Yep this is a fantasy baseball scenario! Even if the Orioles had all the money in the world they'd never get all those new guys to come here.

I agree with the idea to rebuild and shorten the window by trading our valuable assets. Offer Wieters the contract and tell him the plan. Even if there is a small chance he accepts ( which I still don't believe with Boras), he'd have to gut out a pretty painful rebuilding year.

Archived