Bedard Start....

minnesotaoriole

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"No idea," Bedard says when asked about his goals for this season.

I find that hard to believe. All athletes at every level set goals for themselves. I rather him just say I have goals but I'm not going to tell you what they are then throw this comment out there.

Watching the game I wouldn't call it mediocre. He didn't have his best stuff and the ump was not giving him the corner (he was not missing by much), but the important thing was the 1 ER, and that was on a solo shot. If I am the Mariners I am encouraged by the start. He has talent, and that talent will get him through on some days. Other days he needs to grin and bear it and not get frustrated, and that is what he did yesterday.

5 IP, 1 ER, 4 BB, 5 K...

Very mediocre start for Bedard.

Your choice of words tells me that you're judging baseball based on not watching it.

It wasn't great, but saying it was mediocre is just wrong.

I don't root against Erik Bedard. Why should anybody gloat if he does poorely?

I used to read that the best trade is the one that helps both teams. Yeah, it seems neat to bilk somebody out of a talented player for nothing, but it hurts the winner in the long run. That team and others may become wary of trading with you, and that hurts a team's options in the long run.

It was a pretty typical frustrating Bedard start. Pretty damn good stuff, but the command wasn't exactly there, and the high pitch counts led to an early departure.

He'll mix in those occasionally with his dominant starts. But when your "bad" starts are 1 run over 5 innings, thats a pretty good sign of a great pitcher.

Remember, Bedard had an ERA of about 6 last season in April, so he doesn't need a hot start to have an amazing season.

I used to read that the best trade is the one that helps both teams. Yeah, it seems neat to bilk somebody out of a talented player for nothing, but it hurts the winner in the long run. That team and others may become wary of trading with you, and that hurts a team's options in the long run.

Nah. The best trades are when you trade somebody just before they get worse, and get guys who're on the verge of having their best years. All this even-stephen stuff sounds nice, but I don't buy it.

However, I hope Erik does great. He sure was stubbornly tough yesterday.

5 IP, 1 ER, 4 BB, 5 K...

Very mediocre start for Bedard.

I hope our starters put up these mediocre starts. :)

I know what you mean, mediocre for his expectations. But after listening to the game last night, it sounded like he was being squeezed just like another poster mentioned.

Mediocre for Bedard. If Loewen puts up that line, I'm ecstatic.

That line for Bedard is Palmer esque compared to how he pitched this spring.

I wouldn't be a bit worried about Bedard if I was a Mariners fan. I really expect him to have a better year this year than he did last year.

Speaking of MLB TV, I'm really annoyed that it appears they've discontinued the condensed games. That was by far my favorite feature. It's hard to keep up with other games without it. Also, on days when I barely have time to watch the O's it was a convenient way to see all the important stuff in 10 minutes. Also I hate the new Silverlight player. When you try to move the bar to skip ahead, you can't be as accurate with the time cue as you could in the old WMP which makes skipping past commercials an inexact science which it shouldn't be. Very disappointed that we're getting an inferior product.

Archived