O's Must Resign Davis

Todd-O

Some choices of other places to gather have been taken away. So this has been a place many have migrated to. It's fine to hate the direction of your club, or even the folks making the decision in any particular time slice.

The idea that you can shame your club into doing your bidding or threatening boycott?

Please.

That kinda drama is left for real life. Not for fandom.

Your pretty spot on about the impact of boycotts and bidding. Heck, PA demonstrated during the dark years that he's immune to that stuff. All we can do is make our own decisions on how to allocate our resources and I can say that I'm seriously evaluating whether to re-commit several thousand dollars of my assets to an Orioles ticket plan after watching the debacle last offseason and my expectations for this coming offseason. I'll still watch the games but will likely spend my money elsewhere and I'll feel a little less entitled.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At that point, you're talking about spending close to 1/4 of our total payroll on a single player. I'm not sure Chris is the guy that should warrant such a gamble.

Now, Manny OTOH...

If our payroll is $120 and you give him $25, you're saying CD is going to give us 1/5 of the offense. Look at the second half: 26 of 105 home runs. 61 of 293 RBIs. He is more than carrying this team. Obviously there are others helping but you do not want to lose 1/5 of your offense and tell your fan base you couldn't keep the favorite because he cost what he was worth. Nobody would criticize Angelis for 7/175.

If our payroll is $120 and you give him $25, you're saying CD is going to give us 1/5 of the offense. Look at the second half: 26 of 105 home runs. 61 of 293 RBIs. He is more than carrying this team. Obviously there are others helping but you do not want to lose 1/5 of your offense and tell your fan base you couldn't keep the favorite because he cost what he was worth. Nobody would criticize Angelis for 7/175.

What about pitching?

What's a reasonable offer that he should accept from the O's?

Honestly, I haven't analyzed it to give you a dollar figure. Maybe, it could have been worded better, but in terms of "reasonable," I'm talking about a figure that is close to most of the other offers presented. In other words, if the Orioles are within $10-20M of the top offer, it wasn't a low ball bid, but a reasonable one. When someone is guaranteed getting over $100M, in my opinion, another $10M isn't exactly life changing for the family's comfort and lifestyle. At that point, it becomes pride in going for every last dollar. Is that true for 99% of athletes? Of course, but there are exceptions. I wonder how much Markakis enjoyed watching Atlanta sell off its assets this year. Well, at least he has that extra year on his deal. Davis wasn't raised in this organization, so I understand that his attachments don't run that deep. Again, the final decision is his if his main goal is for every last dollar no matter where it comes from, or whether to sacrifice some financially to stay here.

Im telling you now. Boras wants 30 million a year for 5-7 years.I believe he will point to Kershaw, Scherzer,Trout and a few others.He'll claim that Davis impacts more games with a bat and glove like Trout and is a more frequent contributor than a pitcher.

Someone MIGHT pay that number, but it won't be us. Our only chance(doubtful) is that Davis himself overrules Boras and "settles"(what a joke that is) for 23-24 million a year in a 3-4 year deal(I also believe that is highly unlikely.Im pretty sure we've seen the last of Davis and its a damned shame but a reality in baseball.

So what to do with the lost revenue that fans have threatened if the O's FO fails to at least make a run for Davis rather than just let him walk? I realize that many are of the belief that fans who attend games don't truly care about winning teams, that they just like the Camden Yards experience and they will come nevertheless. I'm only a paying customer at OPACY, but I believe that this belief is wrong. Remember the attendance drop during those 14 losing years?

I love these posts that analyze Davis' future value solely on this year. Did last year even happen? Don't people understand that Davis will probably have as many bad years as good ones in the next 6-7 years? If we can sign him to a contract that takes that risk into account, I'm all for it. If we sign him to a contract that assumes he has 6-7 more seasons like 2015 in him, well that's just crazy.

I think there are many of you, perhaps as many as the 300 that were behind the dugout during Chris' interview imploring him to return, that may turn their back on the Orioles completely when they do not offer David the 180 million he may sign for. There are no possibility of extension talks at this point.
It's not the Orioles that people may turn their backs on. It's O's management. O's management does NOT equal The Orioles. Last I saw, it is Chris Davis and other PLAYERS who go out there and win and lose games. Not DD, or Angelos or other FO people.

Believe me, it will be a lot more than just the 300 who were imploring Davis to return at Sunday's game. Myself, I will come back if the O's FO fails to get Davis because Boras gets another team to make an outlandish deal. But then I would expect that the O's FO will replace Davis with someone comparable. Unlike what the O's FO did (or didn't do) when Cruz and Markakis were allowed to walk.

The main thing is to put together a good team for next year. Davis is not the only good player available this offseason. If the O's lost Davis but signed Heyward or Upton, I'd consider that a better use of our money. I'm just hoping we're not going to see a payroll cut, and that we spend the available money wisely.

It's a shame there are so many fair weather fans in here lately. Only coming back when the O's are good. I couldn't imagine being the kind of fan who only watched my favorite team if they're good. Different strokes though.

I also don't like the NFL, so maybe that's part of it.

There is a huge difference between a "fair weather fan" and a fan who grows tired of 14 straight years of FO incompetence and/or greed, that brings continually losing teams to O's fans. It has already happened once, I don't want it to happen again. During my years as an O's and Ravens fan, I have supported my teams even when they were losing. But I won't support a team's management that is similar to what O's management was during those 14 straight years of losing. Perhaps it's a sort of "tough love" where some fans refuse to enable an organization's poor management.

The main thing is to put together a good team for next year. Davis is not the only good player available this offseason. If the O's lost Davis but signed Heyward or Upton, I'd consider that a better use of our money. I'm just hoping we're not going to see a payroll cut, and that we spend the available money wisely.
basically :agree:

I love these posts that analyze Davis' future value solely on this year. Did last year even happen? Don't people understand that Davis will probably have as many bad years as good ones in the next 6-7 years? If we can sign him to a contract that takes that risk into account, I'm all for it. If we sign him to a contract that assumes he has 6-7 more seasons like 2015 in him, well that's just crazy.
No argument with that.

Some choices of other places to gather have been taken away. So this has been a place many have migrated to. It's fine to hate the direction of your club, or even the folks making the decision in any particular time slice.

The idea that you can shame your club into doing your bidding or threatening boycott?

Please.

That kinda drama is left for real life. Not for fandom.

But boycotting is a reality. That's also a part of real life. Too many fans remember all those 14 years of FO incompetence and/or greed that resulted in losing. I do remember the fall-off in attendance during those 14 years.

Myself, I didn't boycott for those 14 years over the failure to sign one player. I boycotted because many FO decisions throughout several years made me see that the FO wasn't serious about building winning teams. I came out of boycotting when I saw that the team was actually winning. However, my experience has made me (along with many fans) highly distrustful of the O's FO. Now, as with the Ravens, the Orioles don't have to be winning each and every year. Just so the FO makes attempts to build winning teams. We'll see what the future brings.

Honestly, I haven't analyzed it to give you a dollar figure. Maybe, it could have been worded better, but in terms of "reasonable," I'm talking about a figure that is close to most of the other offers presented. In other words, if the Orioles are within $10-20M of the top offer, it wasn't a low ball bid, but a reasonable one. When someone is guaranteed getting over $100M, in my opinion, another $10M isn't exactly life changing for the family's comfort and lifestyle. At that point, it becomes pride in going for every last dollar. Is that true for 99% of athletes? Of course, but there are exceptions. I wonder how much Markakis enjoyed watching Atlanta sell off its assets this year. Well, at least he has that extra year on his deal. Davis wasn't raised in this organization, so I understand that his attachments don't run that deep. Again, the final decision is his if his main goal is for every last dollar no matter where it comes from, or whether to sacrifice some financially to stay here.
I seriously doubt any offer the O's make will be within 10-20M of the top offer. That has never been their MO before.

Right. We have three guys who can hit 30 HR or more. We need at least 3 guys who can get on base in front of them. Then we have a much more balanced offense than we have now.

History show that it takes 14 straight years of losing plus the introduction of another major league team 40 miles away to cut the team's attendance in half. About a 5% decline per year which is reflected in the yearly numbers, generally speaking. During the dark years, the local fans didn't disgustedly leave en masse, they slowly died from exhaustion. Each morning a handful fewer showed up for roll call. What is extraordinary to me is that even at the lowest point in 2010, paid attendance was still over 21,000 per game. There are many compelling economic reasons to try and field a winning team each year. Fear of a mass boycott in response to not signing a particular player isn't one of them.
Exactly. The fans who ended up not coming back were slowing getting exhausted from all of the losing. I'm not saying that fans are planning to organize a mass boycott. I doubt that this will happen. But if the FO continually fails in building teams with at least a chance of winning, individual fans will decide, each on their own, to spend their sports/entertainment dollars elsewhere. And that would be just as tragic as any sort of mass, organized boycott.

Archived