O's Must Resign Davis

Todd-O

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there are many of you, perhaps as many as the 300 that were behind the dugout during Chris' interview imploring him to return, that may turn their back on the Orioles completely when they do not offer David the 180 million he may sign for. There are no possibility of extension talks at this point.

It's a shame there are so many fair weather fans in here lately. Only coming back when the O's are good. I couldn't imagine being the kind of fan who only watched my favorite team if they're good. Different strokes though.

I also don't like the NFL, so maybe that's part of it.

It's a shame there are so many fair weather fans in here lately. Only coming back when the O's are good. I couldn't imagine being the kind of fan who only watched my favorite team if they're good. Different strokes though.

I also don't like the NFL, so maybe that's part of it.

Some choices of other places to gather have been taken away. So this has been a place many have migrated to. It's fine to hate the direction of your club, or even the folks making the decision in any particular time slice.

The idea that you can shame your club into doing your bidding or threatening boycott?

Please.

That kinda drama is left for real life. Not for fandom.

Some choices of other places to gather have been taken away. So this has been a place many have migrated to. It's fine to hate the direction of your club, or even the folks making the decision in any particular time slice.

The idea that you can shame your club into doing your bidding or threatening boycott?

Please.

That kinda drama is left for real life. Not for fandom.

Wait...

You mean Nestor's big walkout a few years ago *didn't* work?!?

I have had mixed feelings about resigning Davis because of all of his strikeouts. But as a fan who attends games with other fans, I can hear other fans discuss their feelings and opinions. What I've heard, especially in September is that the Orioles will be suffering a huge loss in revenue if O's management doesn't resign Davis. They don't believe that DD has the wherewithal to replace Davis if he is allowed to walk. This is because these fans, already traumatized over 14 straight losing seasons, will stop trusting O's management, and they will stop buying tickets and attending O's games.

Myself, I remember back in 1999 when I made my own decision to give up my 13-game season plan because of management moves that made the club worse, not better. Maybe I'm just a stupid fan who made a stupid, selfish move because I do like to have team managements that attempt to build winning teams. But my own move was joined by others. I became a rabid Ravens fan because, even with mistakes, Ravens management has striven to build winning teams. The results: 2 Super Bowl championships since 2000. I watched over what the Orioles were doing and continued to refuse to buy tickets for a continually losing team. I am a fan, but I'm not a masochist.

I came out of "Oriole Fan Exile" in 2013 when I noticed that the Orioles were winning again. It seemed to me that they were winning in spite of their FO, but on the other had, it seemed that the FO had changed their ways and realized that winning teams produce revenue. So I started buying tickets and going to games. I bought a 29 game season plan for 2015 and I plan to renew my plan for 2016. But if O's management returns to methods similar to what produced 14 straight losing seasons, and thus they begin on the road to more losing seasons -- I'm not coming back any longer until management changes. And I doubt that I'll be alone in this.

To make a long, long story short: fan attendance produces revenue. And fans won't attend if they believe that they are being "taken" by a management that believes in their stupidity i.e. they will come regardless of whether the team wins or not. That is not true, as history has shown.

History show that it takes 14 straight years of losing plus the introduction of another major league team 40 miles away to cut the team's attendance in half. About a 5% decline per year which is reflected in the yearly numbers, generally speaking. During the dark years, the local fans didn't disgustedly leave en masse, they slowly died from exhaustion. Each morning a handful fewer showed up for roll call. What is extraordinary to me is that even at the lowest point in 2010, paid attendance was still over 21,000 per game. There are many compelling economic reasons to try and field a winning team each year. Fear of a mass boycott in response to not signing a particular player isn't one of them.

Sooooooooo, neither then!!!

Davis already said yesterday, as I'm sure was talked about ad nauseum here - "it's out of my hands."

He gone.

I'll say again that's bull. Davis has a choice to accept whatever reasonable offer the Orioles give him if he really wants to stay. The decision to do so is "in his hands." The only thing that is "out of his hands" is if the Orioles' offer is the highest one.

Chris , do us a favor and spare us how tough it was for you to leave, but it was a family decision made by a guy who already made over $26M in his career. Don't equate it to putting food on the table for your family when salaries in entertainment and sports are so absurd when compared to other jobs. Your grandkids will be set for life whether you sign a guaranteed contract for $120M or $150M.

Putting that into perspective, Maryland has the highest average household income in the entire country at about $70,000. A rookie making ML minimum makes over 7X that amount. This year, Davis made $12M or 171X the average household in Maryland.

Chris, the bottom line is if you leave, it's because you decided to go for the highest bidder. That's it. You make the final decision which contract to sign and not Scott Boras. I don't expect that you will take less to play for Baltimore, but the decision is not entirely "out of your hands."

I'll say again that's bull. Davis has a choice to accept whatever reasonable offer the Orioles give him if he really wants to stay. The decision to do so is "in his hands." The only thing that is "out of his hands" is if the Orioles' offer is the highest one.

Chris , do us a favor and spare us how tough it was for you to leave, but it was a family decision made by a guy who already made over $26M in his career. Don't equate it to putting food on the table for your family when salaries in entertainment and sports are so absurd when compared to other jobs. Your grandkids will be set for life whether you sign a guaranteed contract for $120M or $150M.

Putting that into perspective, Maryland has the highest average household income in the entire country at about $70,000. A rookie making ML minimum makes over 7X that amount. This year, Davis made $12M or 171X the average household in Maryland.

Chris, the bottom line is if you leave, it's because you decided to go for the highest bidder. That's it. You make the final decision which contract to sign and not Scott Boras. I don't expect that you will take less to play for Baltimore, but the decision is not entirely "out of your hands."

What's a reasonable offer that he should accept from the O's?

Archived