O's Must Resign Davis

Todd-O

Resign myself to him going elsewhere because I think having Boras as an agent means that you're perfectly fine leaving your so-called brothers behind so you can go play in LA or Chicago or NYC or Boston. But I'd still give a good-faith effort to sign him at semi-reasonable rates. If you can get him for about $150M you have to try. If he gets into the silly range of anything much more than $150M you say Auf Wiedersehen, have fun in the big city.
150 M? 6-7 years? that's a lot IMO. Don't think he get more than that. What team with that kind of money desperately needs him? I wouldn't go higher than 6/120 M. 5/90 M is what he is worth.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
150 M? 6-7 years? that's a lot IMO. Don't think he get more than that. What team with that kind of money desperately needs him? I wouldn't go higher than 6/120 M. 5/90 M is what he is worth.

I think he's worth his established rate of 3-4 wins a season, declining at half a win a year. Which probably ends up with him being worth $120M. But you occasionally have to throw pure efficiency to the wind and make some optimistic assumptions. Like maybe that inflation almost matches decline. 6/150 would be my max, with the knowledge that it could get real ugly as soon as next year. But there's upside there, too.

Most, if not all of the teams that would potentially go after him either have a good first basemen already, have a crap ton of money tied up into one that used to be good, or aren't in a position to make a run and would be unlikely to make a signing like that while rebuilding.

I think the Yanks would have no problem making him a RFer for a year and slotting in at first when Tex' contract expires. They'd throw him another $20M just to make him happy about that.

I think he's worth his established rate of 3-4 wins a season, declining at half a win a year. Which probably ends up with him being worth $120M. But you occasionally have to throw pure efficiency to the wind and make some optimistic assumptions. Like maybe that inflation almost matches decline. 6/150 would be my max, with the knowledge that it could get real ugly as soon as next year. But there's upside there, too.
I think you have to lkook at in the context of the team as a whole, it's needs and Budget. 25 M AAV is too much for any one player on this club.

I think the Yanks would have no problem making him a RFer for a year and slotting in at first when Tex' contract expires. They'd throw him another $20M just to make him happy about that.
They have Bird, and where are they playing Beltran and ARoid? The teams likely to throw money at him are BOS, who hates dealing with Boras, and the Gnats who seem to like him.

They can eat a $16M contract before most teams have breakfast in the morning. Trade him to the NL at 30 cents on the dollar.

"Don't let baseball players fool you. Jim Ryun runs more than that before he brushes his teeth in the morning."

Jim Bouton in 1970, on baseball players complaining about the amount of running that they were required to do as "abusive", and wondering where Marvin Miller was when they needed him.

Archived