Duquette on Re-signing Davis and Offseason Priorities

Slappy

How does competitive become mediocre?

I find 81-81 mediocre. Not good, not bad, but mediocre.

and yes, I have a wife and child, but neither of them interested in baseball. Maybe that's why I don't care how much going to the game costs? It doesn't make me a yankees fan, it makes me someone who wish the team took more risk going INTO 2015 because the timing was right. Do I think they should spend heavily in 2016? No clue, but thats not what my complaint is/was, I'm more upset about going into 2015 and not going all in. Though, I still don't understand why you are personally attacking everything I say.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're the almighty judge of who gets to be an Orioles fan? Can't you simply disagree with him and argue the points?

It's probably best to take comfort in the fact that he no longer ends every. Single. Post. He. Makes. with that "thumbs up" emoticon.

Appreciate the little things.

When did you become a moderator? You have a very thin skin if you think this is uncivil. The guy is full of BS. He won't even answer a simple question. Does he have a family? That's what the issue is here, what constitutes a "family experience"?

And if he rejoined with "actually, all the members of my extended family died in a plane crash," you might be the only poster here who'd answer that revelation with "aha, I knew it!"

Some one who doesn't care about expensive ticket prices, obnoxious players, un family friendly environment, and wants a win and any cost big spending team, should probably be a Yankee fan rather than an O's fan.

Btw, I never said I wanted obnoxious players. Are all high priced free agents obnoxious? Not sure where that reference started. I wanted to win at all costs in 2015, because we had the pieces. 2014 left me wanting more. I feel like I can deserve that as a fan.

And if he rejoined with "actually, all the members of my extended family died in a plane crash," you might be the only poster here who'd answer that revelation with "aha, I knew it!"

Ignore comes in handy, but I do miss the occasional chance to respond in this fashion. Good on ya, sir.

So you're the almighty judge of who gets to be an Orioles fan? Can't you simply disagree with him and argue the points?
I suggested he would be happier as Yankee fan since he prefers Win at any cost ticket prices to affordable family experience prices. What are you his lawyer?

Ignore comes in handy, but I do miss the occasional chance to respond in this fashion. Good on ya, sir.

Heh...I try to avoid the ignore button for fear of getting accustomed to it. With regular use, it wouldn't be long before I started leaving "ignore" post-its on my co-worker's desks.

Let's settle down the personal attacks please.

As for attendance, although it has nothing to do with anything prior to this season, a lot of people are now afraid of Baltimore, especially those from outside who don't know the area. Baltimore is on pace for 300 murders this year....does anyone think a family from out of town wants to come here to watch a ballgame? When we as hometown Orioles fans plan out of town trips, do we not choose safer cities to see the Orioles play than say a road trip to Detroit? Like it or not, Baltimore is now Detroit, or darn close.

As for the topic of this thread, we had money set aside for Kakes and Cruz last year that was not spent. There is ZERO reason that money combined with the normal lowball offer cannot be combined to bring Davis back at 7/140 if that's what we choose to do. He'll probably get more elsewhere, but as long as we make a legitimate offer, I'll be okay with that, as long as we then take that 140 million and spend it on other legit talent.

I'm not holding my breath though. It's going to be a long disappointing offseason in Birdland, me thinks.

As for attendance, although it has nothing to do with anything prior to this season, a lot of people are now afraid of Baltimore, especially those from outside who don't know the area. Baltimore is on pace for 300 murders this year....does anyone think a family from out of town wants to come here to watch a ballgame? When we as hometown Orioles fans plan out of town trips, do we not choose safer cities to see the Orioles play than say a road trip to Detroit? Like it or not, Baltimore is now Detroit, or darn close.

As for the topic of this thread, we had money set aside for Kakes and Cruz last year that was not spent. There is ZERO reason that money combined with the normal lowball offer cannot be combined to bring Davis back at 7/140 if that's what we choose to do. He'll probably get more elsewhere, but as long as we make a legitimate offer, I'll be okay with that, as long as we then take that 140 million and spend it on other legit talent.

I'm not holding my breath though. It's going to be a long disappointing offseason in Birdland, me thinks.

Nice Post Dipper. Just think what type of offer could be made to CD if DD hadn't waisted all that money on the DFA guys. I recall Tony-OH asking MacPhail what happen to the Tex money and Tony getting a gibberish response, I think you'll see something similar here and the money will evaporate once CD signs elsewhere.

It might be better to characterize it as 20M AAV to spend.

We would have spent 20 M on Cruz/Markakis combined last season. Pretty sure we spent that elsewhere on the likes of De Aza, Snyder, Cabrerra, Para, Matusz, Hunter, Norris. etc. Poorly spent but spent.

Nice Post Dipper. Just think what type of offer could be made to CD if DD hadn't waisted all that money on the DFA guys. I recall Tony-OH asking MacPhail what happen to the Tex money and Tony getting a gibberish response, I think you'll see something similar here and the money will evaporate once CD signs elsewhere.

Once again, the money wasted on one year contracts to the players that were DFA'd would not have had much on an impact on the 6+ year deal Davis will end up with.

Once again, the money wasted on one year contracts to the players that were DFA'd would not have had much on an impact on the 6+ year deal Davis will end up with.

I love how "look at all the DFA'd players and money! What an idiot!!!" is the gift that keeps on giving. It's been brought up in dozens of threads as proof of Duquette's idiocy. While probably a third of the teams in the league are carrying a single contract for an injured/old/woefully under-producing player that's in the same price range as all of those DFA's put together. The Nats paid Jayson Werth $21M to be sub-replacement this year, but apparently that just proves they're committed to winning.

Nope. Just a fan, a paying customer.
Do you have a family? If you do, how much do you pay to take them to a game? Would you be willing to pay three times that much(what it costs at Yankee Stadium)or stop bringing them, in order to sign CD?

Archived