Projected Arbitration Salaries for 2016

weams

The point is when people point to the 2016 payroll, the Orioles will note the extra $15M in arbitration when defending their offseason spending.

They've got almost $50 million coming off the books though. Arb raises aren't going to hold much water and DD has to know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They've got almost $50 million coming off the books though. Arb raises aren't going to hold much water and DD has to know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but it's a factor in what we can spend. It was a huge factor last year, and a significant one this year. It would be nice if we had a few more talented pre-arb guys to fill some needs.

The point is when people point to the 2016 payroll, the Orioles will note the extra $15M in arbitration when defending their offseason spending.

I thought we were going to be around $25MM in arb salaries....

Won't Schoop, Caleb, and Gausman be eligible for arb. based on service time??

Miguel Gonzalez at 4.9 mil is another name to consider, especially if the Orioles don't project him in the rotation. Gonzo can be traded... combined with Matusz, that's $8.3 mil that can go towards a better starting pitcher and 500k reliever.

Similarly, I think it was El Gordo that came up with the idea of trading Britton. If they don't want to give O'Day $7 mil, why would they give Britton $7 mil? Or, they could sign O'Day, trade Britton and rotate Givens in.

Well, Britton would only be on a one year contract, versus the three of four year contract for ODay

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Brian Matusz, 2.94 ERA 1.18 WHIP, 10.3 K/9, , 3.7 BB/9. 1.0 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR. If $3.4 Million is all it takes, I would be amenable. I suspect it would be closer to $4 million with those numbers coming off of $3.2. If they offer arbitration it would be tough to justify offering less than he made last year so it is unlikely he only gets a $200K bump unless he loses to the Orioles in a hearing.

Having $50 million in payroll savings (from departing free agents) be reduced by $15 million in arb-related increases is too much. IMHO, if the budget is going to remain in the $120 million area, the O's will need to make some tough choices to keep the free agency savings in the $40 million area (or more), while adding roster flexibility.

To have any chance at improving the team significantly, the O's will have to replace role players like Flaherty and Pearce (who will be a free agent) with players making near the minimum. Yes, those guys add a lot of flexibility on the field, but they also clog the roster because they have no options. Remember, Flaherty and Pearce made next to nothing when they got here. If we bring them back next season, they will make more than $5 million combined, and that's too much. The easiest solution would be to bring back Janish and Reimold to replace Flaherty and Pearce, but neither of them have options, so they are less than ideal replacements.

Perhaps signing O'Day to a two or three year deal allows us to trade Britton and his estimated $3.7 million raise. While Britton's projected $6.9 million for 2016 sounds reasonable, the $9 or 10 million he likely will get in 2017 will not be. If we can get something for him, now is the time to pull the trigger.

As I've written elsewhere, I think we need to trade either Tillman or Gonzalez. With Gonzo being older, he would be my first candidate to trade. We need to uncover the next Miguel Gonzalez, not hold on to this one and hope he's better at 32 than he was at 31. Not to pile on, but this is why Zach Davies will be missed. Trading Gonzo would leave a rotation of Gausman, Tillman, and Jimenez returning. I expect Tyler Wilson would be the #5. We would need to add a #1 through free agency or trade and add optionable starting pitching depth.

It is unfortunate that the budget doesn't allow the O's to keep all the players who have performed well for them, but that is the financial reality (even if you don't believe they are in a financial bind, that is how they operate). We need a new #1 starter and COF who get on base and play good defense. To pay for them, we likely will have to sacrifice reserves and relievers.

Having $50 million in payroll savings (from departing free agents) be reduced by $15 million in arb-related increases is too much. IMHO, if the budget is going to remain in the $120 million area, the O's will need to make some tough choices to keep the free agency savings in the $40 million area (or more), while adding roster flexibility.

To have any chance at improving the team significantly, the O's will have to replace role players like Flaherty and Pearce (who will be a free agent) with players making near the minimum. Yes, those guys add a lot of flexibility on the field, but they also clog the roster because they have no options. Remember, Flaherty and Pearce made next to nothing when they got here. If we bring them back next season, they will make more than $5 million combined, and that's too much. The easiest solution would be to bring back Janish and Reimold to replace Flaherty and Pearce, but neither of them have options, so they are less than ideal replacements.

Perhaps signing O'Day to a two or three year deal allows us to trade Britton and his estimated $3.7 million raise. While Britton's projected $6.9 million for 2016 sounds reasonable, the $9 or 10 million he likely will get in 2017 will not be. If we can get something for him, now is the time to pull the trigger.

As I've written elsewhere, I think we need to trade either Tillman or Gonzalez. With Gonzo being older, he would be my first candidate to trade. We need to uncover the next Miguel Gonzalez, not hold on to this one and hope he's better at 32 than he was at 31. Not to pile on, but this is why Zach Davies will be missed. Trading Gonzo would leave a rotation of Gausman, Tillman, and Jimenez returning. I expect Tyler Wilson would be the #5. We would need to add a #1 through free agency or trade and add optionable starting pitching depth.

It is unfortunate that the budget doesn't allow the O's to keep all the players who have performed well for them, but that is the financial reality (even if you don't believe they are in a financial bind, that is how they operate). We need a new #1 starter and COF who get on base and play good defense. To pay for them, we likely will have to sacrifice reserves and relievers.

I struggle with the idea of trading Tillman. We know he is capable of a low 3 ERA and I don't see anyway we can replace that projection for less than he will make in arbitration. Other than that the plan is sound.

What do you believe the return would be for trading Britton? Can't imagine you think its a great haul.

I struggle with the idea of trading Tillman. We know he is capable of a low 3 ERA and I don't see anyway we can replace that projection for less than he will make in arbitration. Other than that the plan is sound.

What do you believe the return would be for trading Britton? Can't imagine you think its a great haul.

I don't know, but we have a lot of needs.

As stated, I would prefer to trade Gonzalez rather than Tillman.

Archived