wildcard

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Sign Kazmir

2. Sign Span and Jaso

3. Include it in an extension for Manny

4. Sign 6 international players we've been reluctant to bid for

I'm sure there are more, but these four come to mind immediately. There are too many holes to fill to pay Wieters.

The 12.5m for Wieters still leaves 27.5m to spend on improving the team. And 5.9m for Manny next year is already included. Manny extension has nothing to do with whether Wieters is signed. Nor does the international signings.

Kazmir appears to fade when he is needed late in the season. I will have to do some research on that.

Span and Jaso are still possible out of the 27.5m left. Though I think both have a tough time get passed the O's physicals.

The 12.5m for Wieters still leaves 27.5m to spend on improving the team. And 5.9m for Manny next year is already included. Manny extension has nothing to do with whether Wieters is signed. Nor does the international signings.

Kazmir appears to fade when he is needed late in the season. I will have to do some research on that.

Span and Jaso are still possible out of the 27.5m left. Though I think both have a tough time get passed the O's physicals.

You asked a simple question. I gave a simple answer. You asked for one way to better spend $50 million over four years. I gave you four. To say they have nothing to do with Wieters is disingenuous. As I have shown, there are numerous ways to better spend $50 million than to give it to Wieters.

LOL. I'm just saying that what you outlined in signings is likely signficantly over 4/50.

The question he asked me was how better to use 4/50 than to give it to Wieters. Putting it toward signing Kazmir is a better use of the money. Note: I am not saying we should sign Kazmir at all costs, I'm just answering his question.

Not sure how escalating salaries for B level guys helps " all of baseball"? Can you explain further?

Well, for most sane GMs, the attachment of a QO takes those types of players off the table. For a team like the Orioles, who are unlikely to ever go swimming in the deep end of the free agent pool, this narrows the market even further in an age when pre-walk extensions for quality players are becoming more and more commonplace.

I mean, yeah, that would mean that those guys could ask for more money, but the ability to sign them without losing draft picks would be beneficial for most teams, I think, especially franchises that can't just spend money like crazy to cover for unproductive farm systems.

If this is all so simple then why didn't the Os make Markakis a qualifying offer?

I still do not know. Maybe because at that point, they were resigning him and it was all but the ink on the paper. Nick was not even talking to other teams. A good will gesture I assume.

Well, for most sane GMs, the attachment of a QO takes those types of players off the table. For a team like the Orioles, who are unlikely to ever go swimming in the deep end of the free agent pool, this narrows the market even further in an age when pre-walk extensions for quality players are becoming more and more commonplace.

I mean, yeah, that would mean that those guys could ask for more money, but the ability to sign them without losing draft picks would be beneficial for most teams, I think, especially franchises that can't just spend money like crazy to cover for unproductive farm systems.

I respectfully disagree.

I think the overall salary inflation will have a more negative impact then what is gained by a handful of guys entering the market unencumbered.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, you will have to explain your theory better for me to buy in. I don't think it is correct.

Besides. Compensation will go away all together in the next Collective Agreement. Maybe the teams will get an automatic fourth year of arb, like for the super twos. Oh. And there will be an international draft. You won't be able to buy the talent any but FA in my estimation.

Archived