What offers do you think the O's will make pending free agents?

mdbdotcom

I'll go ahead and say we end up re-signing O'Day and that Chen gets paid very handsomely somewhere else. Congrats and adios, amigo.

DOD- 2 years, $15 million. Third year option with reasonable buyout.

I also think we end up re-signing Wieters and Parra as "Chris Davis Sweepstakes Consolation Prizes."

I hope that whatever team eventually loses control of its faculties and pays something even somewhat akin to what Boras doubtlessly has in mind for Chris does not have a protected pick in the upcoming draft. NL club would be a plus, but I won't panic if the universe isn't so generous.

Wieters- 4 years, $52 million.

Parra- 4 years, $30 million.

Bonus prediction: Neither of their deals will be fondly remembered in Baltimore years from now, though perhaps not exactly as outright disasters.

Pearce will probably be replaced by a league-minimum type of guy via waiver claim or Rule 5 draft. Maybe a particulary intriguing MiL FA signed to an MLB deal. This doesn't bother me a whole heck of a lot at the end of the day.

This should still leave us with a reasonable amount of payroll flexibility to work with in free agency. I would, however, still expect a reclamation project type of guy for at least one regular position, maybe two. 1B and/or DH would be my guess.

Just not a lot of depth in those areas in FA, and not much prospect prosperity to wheel-and-deal with for established, affordable pieces.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll go ahead and say we end up re-signing O'Day and that Chen gets paid very handsomely somewhere else. Congrats and adios, amigo.

DOD- 2 years, $15 million. Third year option with reasonable buyout.

I also think we end up re-signing Wieters and Parra as "Chris Davis Sweepstakes Consolation Prizes."

I hope that whatever team eventually loses control of its faculties and pays something even somewhat akin to what Boras doubtlessly has in mind for Chris does not have a protected pick in the upcoming draft. NL club would be a plus, but I won't panic if the universe isn't so generous.

Wieters- 4 years, $52 million.

Parra- 4 years, $30 million.

Bonus prediction: Neither of their deals will be fondly remembered in Baltimore years from now, though perhaps not exactly as outright disasters.

Pearce will probably be replaced by a league-minimum type of guy via waiver claim or Rule 5 draft. Maybe a particulary intriguing MiL FA signed to an MLB deal. This doesn't bother me a whole heck of a lot at the end of the day.

This should still leave us with a reasonable amount of payroll flexibility to work with in free agency. I would, however, still expect a reclamation project type of guy for at least one regular position, maybe two. 1B and/or DH would be my guess.

Just not a lot of depth in those areas in FA, and not much prospect prosperity to wheel-and-deal with for established, affordable pieces.

I'd let Parra leave before I give hi four year. I think 3/21 is the most and I'm even concerned about that due to his post trade number.

You make loosing Chen sound like a no biggie. The Orioles will regret letting Chen walk as he's been their best SP over the last 2-3 seasons and a very good value. I think Chens replacement will be between a half and full run higher in GPA.

The Orioles will be praying that they get a major bounce back from Tillman, Gonzalez, and a full season of Gausman that's closer to 2013. And hope Ulbaldo is at least as good as he was in 2015 which I doubt.

I don't see anyway the rotation ends up being better.

Kazmir and Chen would signal a decent upgrade over last year.

As for the line up you then desperately hope for a Wieters bounce back to cover only about half Davis' production over a full season

You make loosing Chen sound like a no biggie. The Orioles will regret letting Chen walk as he's been their best SP over the last 2-3 seasons and a very good value.

Chen has been an excellent value on his just-expired contract. He will be much less of an excellent value on something like 4/65. I think he's a reasonable guy to resign around that mark. But I have a feeling that Boras will be asking for more per year than his last contract was worth in total, and the O's will quickly move on to other candidates.

Chen has been an excellent value on his just-expired contract. He will be much less of an excellent value on something like 4/65. I think he's a reasonable guy to resign around that mark. But I have a feeling that Boras will be asking for more per year than his last contract was worth in total, and the O's will quickly move on to other candidates.
The question is, is there a better FA SP option we can get for less than 4/65 M?

The question is, is there a better FA SP option we can get for less than 4/65 M?

Here are the lifetime OPS of current members of AL East teams vs. Chen and Kazmir.

vs.Chen

Blue Jays .682

Yankees .747

Red Sox .766

Rays 0.852

vs. Kazmir

Blue Jays .671

Yankees .797

Red Sox .931

Rays .698

Tt

Here are the lifetime OPS of current members of AL East teams vs. Chen and Kazmir.

vs.Chen

Blue Jays .682

Yankees .747

Red Sox .766

Rays 0.852

vs. Kazmir

Blue Jays .671

Yankees .797

Red Sox .931

Rays .698

If you replace Chen with Kazmir you still need to add one more at or better than Kazmir to actually improve the rotation. I think they should resign Chen and sign Kazmir.

Davis, Chen and Wieters all will get QOs. Players only have one week (11/6 - 11/13) to decide to take it or not and I think they all will decline believing they can get multi-year offers.

Davis will decline, I think the O's offer 4-5 years 20-22M AAV. Hard to believe it won't be among the top offers, you never know if another team will go to 6 or 7 years but I think he will likely return.

Wieters will decline and not be made a serious offer from the O's

Chen is tougher to decide, I think he gets an offer in the neighborhood of Ubaldo's but not from the O's

Pearce will be offered a 4 or 5M one year deal

ODay has a chance to be brought back but he will probably be a hot commodity regardless, the O's need one solid 6-7M a year reliever

Parra will get 7-8M per year offers along the lines of Rasmus and Aoki last year and I hope the O's don't bring him back.

Overall I think they bring back Davis, Pearce and ODay and get two picks for losing Wieters and Chen and we're just left to wonder why they dealt for Parra in the first place. A trade, regardless of how it turns out, I will always think was worse plan than dealing away Strop and a disappointing Arrieta for Clevenger and Scott Feldman.

Tt

If you replace Chen with Kazmir you still need to add one more at or better than Kazmir to actually improve the rotation. I think they should resign Chen and sign Kazmir.

Do you ever take budget into account? Chen plus Kazmir comes to 30 M+. That leaves you less than 10 M to fill LF, RF, DH, and 1B

Parra will get 7-8M per year offers along the lines of Rasmus and Aoki last year and I hope the O's don't bring him back.

I think Rasmus' track record was better, and all he got was 1/8. I'd be fine with Parra on a 1/6 kind of deal as a platoon corner outfielder, complimenting a bigger piece on the other corner.

I think Rasmus' track record was better, and all he got was 1/8. I'd be fine with Parra on a 1/6 kind of deal as a platoon corner outfielder, complimenting a bigger piece on the other corner.

Heyward 20M

Parra 6M

Kazmir 13 M

Pearce 5 M

Jaso 3 M

- Matusz?

Archived