Obp

DocJJ

The Royals had 8 full time players with an OBP of .350 or higher.

The O's had 2. And after those 2, it just falls off the cliff entirely: .314, .308, .306, .299. The O's finished 24th in MLB in OBP. Interestingly, the Mets finished 21st, so I guess OBP isn't the be-all, end-all... I guess you can have a low OBP if you have Harvey, Syndergaard, and DeGrom in your rotation...

The Royals had 8 full time players with an OBP of .350 or higher.

The O's had 2. And after those 2, it just falls off the cliff entirely: .314, .308, .306, .299. The O's finished 24th in MLB in OBP. Interestingly, the Mets finished 21st, so I guess OBP isn't the be-all, end-all... I guess you can have a low OBP if you have Harvey, Syndergaard, and DeGrom in your rotation...

That and you have the Braves, Phillies and Marlins in your division.

Who were those 8? Two are FA now. Actually it was more like 6, 7 if you count Colon. http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/kc/cat/onBasePct/kansas-city-royals

I counted 5. Moustakas at .348 fell just short. Still impressive.

If we had even four guys that could do .350 or better it would improve our offense greatly. The problem is we likely lose Davis and will already be at a disadvantage trying to make up what we already lost. Fortunately, they are about 15 free agents that could help us out in that area. We just need to make it a priority and I never hear Duquette or Buck mentioning it.

I counted 5. Moustakas at .348 fell just short. Still impressive.

If we had even four guys that could do .350 or better it would improve our offense greatly. The problem is we likely lose Davis and will already be at a disadvantage trying to make up what we already lost. Fortunately, they are about 15 free agents that could help us out in that area. We just need to make it a priority and I never hear Duquette or Buck mentioning it.

If you believe Weams they want power and K's, not OBP.

If you believe Weams they want power and K's, not OBP.

Power is great, but they should be aiming for a balanced lineup. Ideally I would like like to see high OBP guys in the 1 and 2 hole followed by Machado and Jones. I think this lineup could be an improvement over this season even with the loss of Davis. We could sign Zobrist, Span, and Jaso for the same annual cost of resigning Davis and only be tied to those guys for two or three years. Would leave us some significant payroll flexibility to improve the rotation. The lineup is not lacking in power with three or four guys in it that are still likely to give you 20 plus homeruns:

1. LF Span (L)

2. RF Zobrist (S)

3. 3B Machado ®

4. CF Jones ®

5. 1B Pearce ®

6. DH Jaso (L)

7. 2B Schoop ®

8. SS Hardy ®

9. C Joseph ®

Power is great, but they should be aiming for a balanced lineup. Ideally I would like like to see high OBP guys in the 1 and 2 hole followed by Machado and Jones. I think this lineup could be an improvement over this season even with the loss of Davis. We could sign Zobrist, Span, and Jaso for the same annual cost of resigning Davis and only be tied to those guys for two or three years. Would leave us some significant payroll flexibility to improve the rotation. The lineup is not lacking in power with three or four guys in it that are still likely to give you 20 plus homeruns.

1. LF Span (L)

2. RF Zobrist (S)

3. 3B Machado ®

4. CF Jones ®

5. 1B Pearce ®

6. DH Jaso (L)

7. 2B Schoop ®

8. SS Hardy ®

9. C Joseph ®

This is what I've been saying but few agree with me. They'd rather we sign CD and the likes of Alvarez, Murphy, Young, Brown,Byrd, etc.

Davis had a .361 OBP last year. Best of both worlds if we can get him back. Alex Gordon would be ideal (.348 with power and elite defense).

If we don't get either of those two, I agree, these are the type of guys we should target. I doubt we can acquire all of Span, Jaso, and Zobrist, but this is on the right track. (I have a feeling someone in need of a 2B will pay Zobrist more than us).

I also like Aoki (.353) and Dejesus (.349) as even cheaper sources of LH plus-OBP.

Davis had a .361 OBP last year. Best of both worlds if we can get him back. Alex Gordon would be ideal (.348 with power and elite defense).

If we don't get either of those two, I agree, these are the type of guys we should target. I doubt we can acquire all of Span, Jaso, and Zobrist, but this is on the right track. (I have a feeling someone in need of a 2B will pay Zobrist more than us).

I also like Aoki (.353) and Dejesus (.349) as even cheaper sources of LH plus-OBP.

These are the types we should be in on. If we sign a CD or Gordon that only gives us two OBP guys. Fore the money spent on them we could add three and have four OBP guys. We already have 3 guys who can hit 30 HR.

Archived