The Best Way to Have a Chance at Machado Long Term

brianod

They weren't shortstops.

Plenty of shortstops move to 3B late in their careers. Maybe it would help JJ stay healthy. We do know that one of the negotiating points in the Hardy deal was that he wanted to be assured that he would remain at SS. Maybe it's time for him to move.

Make the move contingent on Manny signing an extension.

I'm skeptical of the value of having a .625 OPS hitter learning to play third base at the age of 33. Sounds like a recipe for a sub-replacement player. Even Cal didn't turn into a very good third baseman when he moved, he was basically an average fielder with a (mostly) declining bat.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It might actually make us stronger at both positions. And, if it helps convince Manny to sign an extension, it's an obvious move.

I'd rather just tell him that we'll throw in an extra couple million a year in the 2020-2025 portion of the extension to be sure he's properly satisfied being "just" a HOF third baseman.

I'm skeptical of the value of having a .625 OPS hitter learning to play third base at the age of 33. Sounds like a recipe for a sub-replacement player. Even Cal didn't turn into a very good third baseman when he moved, he was basically an average fielder with a (mostly) declining bat.

Improved defense at SS should compensate, just as Bordick's superior defense at SS compensated for Cal's declining defense.

You think Hardy can play a better 3rd base than MM?

That's grounds for institution.

No, but I think Manny can play a better SS than Hardy. Do you think Manny at 3B now and in pinstripes in 2019 is better than Manny at SS now and an Oriole through 2021 or beyond?

Manny is a once in a generation player for a team to find. It's rare to have a 23 year old that is on track to make the hall of fame. If we lose Manny we will be searching for 20+ years for another player of his caliber. Even if you really believe we wont be competitive for the next 6 years, you still sign him, because he will still be in his prime by the time you are ready to compete again.

If we do not extend Manny, it is very possible we will not have another player go into the hall as an Oriole for a very long time.

Get Manny committed for the next 6/7 years, that should be our #1 priority. And it needs to be done now, each year that passes it becomes more difficult and expensive.

Manny is a once in a generation player for a team to find. It's rare to have a 23 year old that is on track to make the hall of fame. If we lose Manny we will be searching for 20+ years for another player of his caliber. Even if you really believe we wont be competitive for the next 6 years, you still sign him, because he will still be in his prime by the time you are ready to compete again.

If we do not extend Manny, it is very possible we will not have another player go into the hall as an Oriole for a very long time.

Get Manny committed for the next 6/7 years, that should be our #1 priority. And it needs to be done now, each year that passes it becomes more difficult and expensive.

And, if it takes moving him to SS to extend him, do it.

No, but I think Manny can play a better SS than Hardy. Do you think Manny at 3B now and in pinstripes in 2019 is better than Manny at SS now and an Oriole through 2021 or beyond?

I have serious doubts that Manny will be better than JJ at short. And it's quite a reach to say Manny isn't going to sign unless the Orioles reconfigure the defense in what's probably a sub-optimal way. Do we really want that? Do we really want another ARod/Jeter situation (yes, I know you think that the defense will counter-intuitively be better)?

I have serious doubts that Manny will be better than JJ at short. And it's quite a reach to say Manny isn't going to sign unless the Orioles reconfigure the defense in what's probably a sub-optimal way. Do we really want that? Do we really want another ARod/Jeter situation (yes, I know you think that the defense will counter-intuitively be better)?

I don't think of it as an ARod/Jeter situation. Even JJ wanted assurance that he wouldn't be moved off of SS. Manny is one of the best in the game, he's going to be a free agent and 26 years old, and I think it is likely that he will sign with a team that will play him at the position he's been dreaming of playing since he was a kid. Maybe he's willing to sign now if we make the verbal promise that once JJ is gone, he will be moved to SS. I don't know. But I think it is shortsighted to not consider his desires on the subject. He is going to be a SS somewhere. I want it to be with the Orioles.

I don't think of it as an ARod/Jeter situation. Even JJ wanted assurance that he wouldn't be moved off of SS. Manny is one of the best in the game, he's going to be a free agent and 26 years old, and I think it is likely that he will sign with a team that will play him at the position he's been dreaming of playing since he was a kid. Maybe he's willing to sign now if we make the verbal promise that once JJ is gone, he will be moved to SS. I don't know. But I think it is shortsighted to not consider his desires on the subject. He is going to be a SS somewhere. I want it to be with the Orioles.

I'm not so convinced that his priority list for a new contract starts and ends with moving him to short.

I'm not so convinced that his priority list for a new contract starts and ends with moving him to short.

I'm sure he has a number of priorities, but his list is written by a 23-year old athlete with a dream, not an engineer. Where do you think that dream goes on his list?

Archived