Possible Solutions to the Wieters problem

Aristotelian

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a one year deal, I'm not so overly worried. Are you? I mean, it's not like when your Shortstop tears his labrum in a Spring collision with your second baseman who later tears his PCL.

Conceptually no, but we now have $16M 2016 marbles allocated to Matt. I see the path to fielding a playoff team very difficult given the continuous talk of flat budgets.

Tillman too.

We are gonna need bounce back years from just about anyone who can have a bounce back year.

My hope is that MW has a magical year and gets a ton of dough by some other team next offseason after either being traded for a decent prospect or two :)

This should really be titled "Possible Solutions to the Budget Problem."

It's not like Wieters' presence is BAD for the team. He isn't the problem, the problem is the tightened budget restraints caused by this new contract.

You can't retract the QO, so the "solution" has nothing to do with getting rid of Wieters, it has everything to do with exploring creative roster improvement options beyond just signing a couple expensive FAs.

That seems hyperbolic. And even if it's true it's a matter of degree, I suppose you could believe this pushes the median projection from 76 wins to 74 and that's below your threshold of plausible contention. But saying this is it, this took the team from a plausible playoff birth to not seems like an obvious exaggeration.

Let's say they didn't have Wieters and could use the $15M on anything. Likely case is that money buys two wins. The only way that's a huge impact is if you're VERY certain they're now an 87-win team.

Again, that seems like a matter of some debate. Is that possible? Sure. Has Joseph ever done this in his eight-year professional career? Nope. He's never caught 100 games in any professional season, not even among multiple teams in a year (well, there was that one year he just crossed the threshold if you include AFL games).

Caleb played 100 games last year and put up 2.2 WAR.

If it is not hyperbole, what is your plan to get this team competitive with about $15-$25M to spend, no 1B, LF, RF, or #1 or #2 SP?

Would we have made the playoffs without Wieters? Probably not. There were lots of other factors stacked against us. But to me, this is the straw that breaks the camel's back. Clearing Wieters' salary and hoping for 2 WAR from CJ with $30M to spend at least seemed like a plausible strategy.

I think the "solution" to this "problem" is using Clevenger to limit Matt's exposure to righties a bit and keep him fresh, which should in turn help to facilitate another QO opportunity next off season for that sweet, sweet #draftpickcompensation. Plus this allows us to try to package Joseph in a deal to fill a hole elsewhere or something.

Personally, BTW, I'm just fine with him accepting the QO this year because I never had any delusions of signing Davis or a similarly-priced top-tier FA.

"Hi Matt, it's Buck. I need you to but several first basemen's mitts in the offseason. Oh, you wanted to catch? That's nice. Caleb is a better catcher than you are."

"Problem" solved.

"Hi Matt, it's Buck. I need you to buy several first basemen's mitts in the offseason. Oh, you wanted to catch? That's nice. Caleb is a better catcher than you are."

"Problem" solved.

Archived