Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

The Royals offer for Gordan was reported as only 4 years and 52 million. I thought for sure he would go back there but that is a low low ball offer. I would offer him 5 years 75 million deal.

Kind of hard to believe. 4/52 is beyond an insult for Gordon. Would love to get him at 5/75, but I think he's going to come in around 5/100.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of hard to believe. 4/52 is beyond an insult for Gordon. Would love to get him at 5/75, but I think he's going to come in around 5/100.

I'm sure other teams would be willing to spend more, but I would be stoked if we got him at around $15 - $17 million per.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this, but his market is shrinking. Maybe STL, SF, CHI, NYM, but they all have made major acquisitions or said they don't intend to spend. He could be a bargain for the O's if they still weren't waiting for Godot.....er, Davis.

I'm sure other teams would be willing to spend more, but I would be stoked if we got him at around $15 - $17 million per.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordon is in a similar position to when Jayson Werth hit free agency. Coming off his age 31 season, the Nats gave him 7/127. It was of course an overpay but there always seems to be a team willing overpay. When you factor in inflation it's scary to think what he might get. 4/85 or 5/100 seems about right, but 6/120 or something in that range isn't out of the question.

I thought this, but his market is shrinking. Maybe STL, SF, CHI, NYM, but they all have made major acquisitions or said they don't intend to spend. He could be a bargain for the O's if they still weren't waiting for Godot.....er, Davis.

I think KC comes in back in play strong at those numbers numbers.

Gordon is in a similar position to when Jayson Werth hit free agency. Coming off his age 31 season, the Nats gave him 7/127. It was of course an overpay but there always seems to be a team willing overpay. When you factor in inflation it's scary to think what he might get. 4/85 or 5/100 seems about right, but 6/120 or something in that range isn't out of the question.
Name the team who pays him that? The same team who will pay CD more than 5/175M? In other words team mystery?

Name the team who pays him that? The same team who will pay CD more than 5/175M? In other words team mystery?

Who knows. But betting on 30 teams to make responsible market offers is not a safe bet. In the long run, a player is always likely to get more than you expect rather than less. Especially the premium ones. I don't think anyone will pay CD 5/175 by the way, but I think he probably gets another offer in the 150 million dollar range and Gordon is more likely to get 5/100 than 5/75.

Who knows. But betting on 30 teams to make responsible market offers is not a safe bet. In the long run, a player is always likely to get more than you expect rather than less. Especially the premium ones. I don't think anyone will pay CD 5/175 by the way, but I think he probably gets another offer in the 150 million dollar range and Gordon is more likely to get 5/100 than 5/75.

You are right. No one was close to giving Cruz 60 million. Except Jack.

Werth was one of the few outfield options though that season. This year it seems teams are making major pushes at pitchers but the hitters are not getting what they thought early on. So far from the predictions Heyward, Zobrist, Park and Kim all took less then what people were predicting.

Werth was one of the few outfield options though that season. This year it seems teams are making major pushes at pitchers but the hitters are not getting what they thought early on. So far from the predictions Heyward, Zobrist, Park and Kim all took less then what people were predicting.

Jayson Werth has maybe been worth 70 million with Washington.

o

The 2-year contract that veteran Bartolo Colon was signed to prior to the 2014 season turned out to be ideal because of the fact that two of their young guns (Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler) missed the entire 2014 and 2015 seasons respectively, due to having had Tommy John surgery.

With Wheeler presumably coming back for the 2016 season, the Mets traded Jonathon Niese for middle infielder Neil Walker. So a 1-year, $7.25 Million deal for Colon looks very good for the Mets right now.

It seems that more teams are prepared to wait and see if a good outfielder will drop to them at a price they like. Which is why there are common refrains among evaluators these days.

They ask: Have you heard anything about Yoenis Cespedes?

They ask: Have you heard anything about Justin Upton? Alex Gordon?

Dexter Fowler? Denard Span? Austin Jackson? Gerardo Parra?

And they wait. If they prefer a trade rather than spending on a free agent, they could call the Reds about Jay Bruce, the Braves about Ender Inciarte or Nick Markakis or the Rockies about Carlos Gonzalez. There are many outfielders available; it's a buyer's market.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post?id=11877

Archived