Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

How bad is Trumbo's glove? If he can play first and not hurt us, why not go back to Pedro Alvarez for DH. Trumbo at first, Davis in right, Kim in left? Still need pitching, but Alvarez could mash as DH and wouldn't cost nearly the years or salary of Cespedes.

I would be okay with this. Adds another lefty, puts Trumbo at his best position. I prefer Austin Jackson or Venable at this point though (if no Cespedes).

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The estimated payroll for the team now, including Davis, is approx 124M. Who can envision a 2016 exceeding 130M?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are you getting $124 from? I see them right at $130 already.

Davis 17

Jones 16.33

Wieters 15.8

Jimenez 13

Hardy 12.5

Trumbo 9.15

Tillman 6.225

O'Day 6

Gonzalez 5.1

Machado 5

Kim 2.8

Worley 2.6

Flaherty 1.5

Reimold 1.3

Brach 1.25

That's 15 guys at around 115.6

Matusz and Britton, let's call that 10.5 roughly using the midpoint of their arbitration figures.

Then the other 8 guys rounding out the roster is another 4.

That puts them over 130.

Now I think Jimenez and Hardy have deferred money, but Manny also has performance incentives. I don't think that would be a net negative of 6M.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZkFouqjaZSv63CB1aRSNfWCcBAGqjukpXYZlF5_58E0/pub?output=html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis 17

Jones 16.33

Wieters 15.8

Jimenez 13

Hardy 12.5

Trumbo 9.15

Tillman 6.225

O'Day 6

Gonzalez 5.1

Machado 5

Kim 2.8

Worley 2.6

Flaherty 1.5

Reimold 1.3

Brach 1.25

Matusz and Britton, let's call that 10.5 roughly using the midpoint of their arbitration figures.

That puts them over 130.

Now I think Jimenez and Hardy have deferred money, but Manny also has performance incentives. I don't think that would be a net negative of 6M.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZkFouqjaZSv63CB1aRSNfWCcBAGqjukpXYZlF5_58E0/pub?output=html

Don't know what the exact total is for our current commitments, but O'Day has $1M, Ubaldo has $2.25M and Hardy $2.2M in deferred pay. So that's $5.45M

How bad is Trumbo's glove? If he can play first and not hurt us, why not go back to Pedro Alvarez for DH. Trumbo at first, Davis in right, Kim in left? Still need pitching, but Alvarez could mash as DH and wouldn't cost nearly the years or salary of Cespedes.

No way Davis plays right field on a regular basis.

Don't know what the exact total is for our current commitments, but O'Day has $1M, Ubaldo has $2.25M and Hardy $2.2M in deferred pay. So that's $5.45M

Thanks. You know I thought we were paying ODay 5M this season, but when I saw cots having him as 6,7,9,9, I thought that I was wrong.

I'd consider David Murphy. He's always killed us in the past and still has solid numbers. I'm not sure what his price range would be though.

I like Murphy. I like Pearce. I like Jackson as well. Jackson would seem to make the most sense as he can play CF to give Jones a day off.

Davis 17

Jones 16.33

Wieters 15.8

Jimenez 13

Hardy 12.5

Trumbo 9.15

Tillman 6.225

O'Day 6

Gonzalez 5.1

Machado 5

Kim 2.8

Worley 2.6

Flaherty 1.5

Reimold 1.3

Brach 1.25

That puts them over 130.

Took it from baseball reference and added in 17M for Davis to get to 124M

I'm not for adding payroll just to get to a number, but I want Davis at 1B. I think he loses value as a RF. Rather have Trumbo in the OF than Davis so the team needs another starting OF/DH and at least one TOR SP to be a World Series contender.

I'm not for adding payroll just to get to a number, but I want Davis at 1B. I think he loses value as a RF. Rather have Trumbo in the OF than Davis so the team needs another starting OF/DH and at least one TOR SP to be a World Series contender.

MLB figures it at ~130 for Luxury Tax Purposes.

I agree about Davis at 1B. Why don't you feel the same way about Trumbo? Put him at DH and someone in RF who can catch the ball? I don't know where the elusive TOR starter is going to come from.

I agree about Davis at 1B. Why don't you feel the same way about Trumbo? Put him at DH and someone in RF who can catch the ball? I don't know where the elusive TOR starter is going to come from.

Trumbo has been on record saying he prefers to play defense (not recently, but when he was moving to the NL) and his numbers as a DH in a small sample suggest he may have a pretty typical DH penalty from already unspectacular offense. There's potential we are either paying 9 million for a .740ish OPS DH or for a 1 win outfielder who hits better but butchers the outfield. The O's have forced themselves to pick their poison with Trumbo in that regard.

In my mind only Jones is a reliable major league OF but Trumbo Is the best of the rest, by default.

I think Wieters is the key to the season followed by Schoop. If they hit their potential, we play KC in the ALCS

Archived